Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting

The Wreck of the Crashed B25 Bomber

www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/bomber2003.htm

GPS Coordinates:

If you do decide to try and visit this site it’s my wish that you respect that it is a grave site and you leave everything as it is. There are relics to be found but I would like it if you treated them like the mountain side was there museum.

History: On a cold winter morning back in Jan of 53 a Mitchell B25 bomber took off from the Saskatoon air force base on a routine training mission. It was to crash on its decent into the Sea Island airport deep inside the rugged Pitt Lake Mountains all aboard where killed on impact. The cause of the crash was ice rain storm which the flight encountered while coming into the Pitt Lake from the north east. The Storm caused the flaps on the bomber to freeze and the pilots could no longer control there elevation and smashed into the side of a mountain flaming debris flying in the air some of it disappearing deep into the Canyon below with main part of the wreckage falling down and resting on a cliff just above the canyon. The snow would cover any traces of the wreck for the next 4 months. When sea island airport became aware that the plane had gone down as they had lost radio contact the plane had already been covered in snow. When searchers got near the area where they suspected the plane had come down which near Coquitlam Lake all hope was lost of anyone surviving the intense January blizzard that the ice rain storm had now become. The search was called off until April when an intense hunt of the area north east south and west of Coquitlam lake it was the party that was searching to the east that would find the wreck site and recover the bodies. Leaving behind a plaque which reads Military aircraft already found please do not report and there it would sit for 32 years until pieces of wreckage where found by a prospector who was searching for the lost mine of Pitt Lake . Ten years later I would learn the location of the wreck site and journey to the canyon in search of the bomber myself and successfully locate it. On a return recon helicopter trip to the Pitt lake area. On attempting to land near the bomber site. Our R44 helicopter was knocked from the sky from a gust of wind and we crashed and slide down the snowy mountainside just south of the bomber. We where all lucky and walked away from the crash .

http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/helicopterpics.htm
http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/helicopter.htm

How to reach: For those who purchase

If you are interested in learning more about directions on how to get to the crash site. Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN. Please contact dfriesen@direct.ca for more details.

blackfly
Advanced Member

Manitoba's misadventurin' bushwhackin', dog sloggin', dehydratin', beer drinkin' biggie - who's eager to peak bag Mt Currie in a dress

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jackson

If you are interested in learning more about directions on how to get to the crash site. Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN. Please contact dfriesen@direct.ca for more details.

Interested to know why you would "sell" the coords for such a site. Morally and ethically, is this the right thing to do?

What gives you the right? Sorry if I sound snotty but your post got my back up. Glad you survived your own crash.

bikerider

Road raging trail blazer

Surrey, B.C.
Canada

1722 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you blackfly. And if it should be treated as a "mountainside museum" and a "gravesite", then why supply information to find it.

Spuzzum

73 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you do decide to try and visit this site it’s my wish that you respect that it is a grave site and you leave everything as it is. There are relics to be found but I would like it if you treated them like the mountain side was there museum.

Wait a minute...

quote:
Complete instructions on how to reach it are for sale for only 20.00 CAN.

I suppose this money would be given to the family of the lost crew? I'm sure it is, because profiting from a tragic accident would be sick...

Just my opinion.

Bishop
Intermediate Member

yukon hankerin' intrepid dog lovin' fleet footed adventure racing pie packing poet who is ever keen to cave hunt, route find, night hike, and has finally introduced Bishop to Mt. Bishop

Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

934 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clubtread already knows how to get to the Mitchell Bomber. Thanks for your info though.

I would like to talk to you about that area though... I will try and get in touch through your forum website.

mick range
Extreme Hoser

Trail running, bike hucking, fast packing, beer drinking collector of pine cones on a day pass

AKA

Dances with Trees

Forest Gnome Cabin
Canada

13525 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  1:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True enough,that information has been out there for quite some time,so it is no secret.Where honour is concerned,I'd say if you were ever to profit by selling that information,just remember the karma will get you in the end.If,on the other hand,you use that money for trail improvements or the legacy of the victims,that is a different story.Just my two cents...

MikeL

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

152 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  2:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah he's looking to make a profit. I asked him awhile back for info and all he wanted was cash. He's a gold digg'n bottom dweller.

Edited by - MikeL on 08/03/2004 2:56 PM
ClubTread Supporter

Bernbaby
Intermediate Member

Calgary, alberta
Canada

674 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  5:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that this site was for the exchange of ideas, good discussion and sharing of fellowship?! sort of your "non-profit" kinda thing? What would Longshadow have to say about this profiteer? I'd love to read that post

----------------------------------------
"If you can't be handsome you might as well be handy"
Red-Green

sourdough

Burnaby, BC
Canada

289 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  6:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets keep the advertisments off of this site. I sincerely hope that this guy is not trying to use a grave site to rip people off. Jackson, if you are still reading, do you care to offer any explaination as to where the funds are going to?
ClubTread Supporter

Kodiak

Castlegar, B.C.
Canada

1249 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  9:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has to be one of the most selfish, self serving, heartless acts I have ever witnessed on CT.
Sure we all have interest in the crash site (who wouldn't) as history in the mountains lures us even more.
I personally like it when some CT members are vague in their information to certain locations (Ling Lake) as it leaves some of the adventure in the whole experience. Besides we all fear our reclusive unwritten about hike will be over run and lose it's appeal if it's trail info is easily attained.
But for Mr Jackson to say "respect the grave site" and then to end his post by saying....$20.00 for directions.
This guy should crawl back into the hole that he escaped from !

esb

Vancouver, BC
Canada

444 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The curse of the B25. Every thread about it causes controversy.

The closest the CT forums have to anything involving exchange of money is the Buy/Sell forum: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3322

One of the rules being:
quote:
* The forum is for use by individuals, not commercial enterprises.

So I expect "Spindle Explorations" (http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/mineintro.html) with its online shopping cart for book purchase (and now B25 map purchase) qualifies as a "commercial enterprise".

So this thread should probably just get locked/deleted.

Opinion: These forums are a very valuable resource, and are *free*. As are the tech support and the behind the scenes server maintenance and bandwidth costs of running the site. To use a resource that someone has provided *free* to further the lower mainland hiking & outdoor community for commercial gain is so very wrong. It is also a very good indicator of an individual/business that one should think twice about doing business with.

Edited by - esb on 08/03/2004 10:06 PM

1of3

Vancouver, BC
Canada

119 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to the bomber myself. It was not that easy to find. I for one would not reveal the location. Why you ask or maybe you do not?
1) Its more fun when so few have been there
2) We did it with only a general idea, so you can too
3) Its twice the reward when you earn it the hard way (Take the high road)

We tried to get the location from him ourselves but when we heard there was a fee we thought what the heck lets just do it on our own.

Get off Jackson's back. Pay the twenty bucks or do it the hard way.

Welcome to capitalism my kittens.
ClubTread Supporter

Hiker Boy
Advanced Member

opinionated-stove huggin'-fleece wearin'-arse burnin' hill virgin

Here
Canada

4653 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it me or do I do smell a big stinky turd? Aside from all the cheese, there is something very fishy is going on here!

"Function is beauty"

threeprime

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1040 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to how Longshadow will approach this one

"Hope for the best; plan for the worst"
ClubTread Supporter

Kodiak

Castlegar, B.C.
Canada

1249 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2004 :  11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go figure "1of3" just registered today, gee wizz gang does ya all think it's Mr Jackson.
He keeps sinking deeper and deeper into disgrace does he not

1of3

Vancouver, BC
Canada

119 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kodiak

Go figure "1of3" just registered today, gee wizz gang does ya all think it's Mr Jackson.
He keeps sinking deeper and deeper into disgrace does he not

Holy conspiracy theory batman.

I am not Jackson.
No word of a lie.
I just accept things in life and move on.
I am not selling a thing.
I have made two other posts 1 was about the indian arm route and the other is about cramps and blisters.
If I was trying to sell the location would I be writing about blisters and the IAR?
I will never reveal the location of the bomber so why would I be Jackson?
I made a pact with the two others I went with to keep it a secret.
I busted my A55 trying to find it and think the harder its is the funner it is.

Jackson is not a hiker but is a treasure hunter and historian type.
I know nothing about history.
I cant even remember what I ate for lunch.
I hiked to the bomber myself.
I encouraged people to find it on their own.
Jackson has never hiked to the bomber as he flew up there in a helicoper and had a crash to boot.
Jackson writes books.
I say "I" way too much.

I am sorry if my post was insensitve.
I just think that negative comments about ones personality is heavy handed.

Maybe he is a good guy maybe he is a bad guy.
I do not know and do not care.
I am here to talk about hiking, not morals and speculation.

Maybe I should just keep my trap shut on these sensitive topics.

I am 1of3 and not JACKSON.

ginsengjoe

Port Coquitlam, BC
Canada

131 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can attest that 1of3 registered before Jacksons rather outrageous post, having read his indian arm trail reply.

However I'm sure you'll notice 1of3, that a lot more than hiking is talked about on these forums. Morals and ethics have as much to do with enjoying nature as gear talk and trip reports.

Pro Regina et Patria

Edited by - ginsengjoe on 08/04/2004 01:56 AM
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7317 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also a lesser known B-25 crash site that a group of us stumbled upon at a well-known river last October. This is what we found:

We found the driver's license of the pilot too:

Again, it's all top secret, but a few of us who were present may give away the location for a few pints or a generous beer muling on the next major overnighter

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable"

1of3

Vancouver, BC
Canada

119 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats was funny BillyGoat.
I just about wet pants when I read your post.

You a funny guy!
Keep the funny stuff coming.

Average hiker dude. I like sharing thoughts on hiking.

gchicalo
Intermediate Member

Lasqueti Island, British Columbia
Canada

534 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, well, well. I see that this controversial topic has reared its head again. Is the gold and cash reportedly at the site making us crazy?

Edited by - gchicalo on 08/04/2004 10:59 AM

Lupin

Ladner, BC
Canada

1204 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2004 :  11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"The British are coming!", "The British are coming!"

I think someone needs funding for increased helicopter insurance rates...

The tougher the climb, the better the food tastes. -Lupin-
Page: of 10 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Mainland Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam