Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1414 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  6:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Nov. 9, 2012

Intent on making this one into a loop, we decided to travel the upper Airlane Creek FSR and hit up the true summit of Laughinton first, and then join up with the south ridge at some point on the way back.

More nose action video. Nose to the ground this time. : )

http://youtu.be/vQgLnXzF2io

We have done the true summit once before, but that was under a lot of snow. Some trouble recognizing where we decided to cut off of upper Airplane last time, so we just picked a new spot and zig zagged our way up. Steep, but not terribly bushy. In and out of the trees, so every once in awhile we could get our bearings on where we were. Light dusting of dry snow made things a little slippery.

That is the end of the south ridge up above, and where we made it to last week. Saw a fairly mellow brown bear right about here. : )

Last bit of steep stuff to the true summit. I found it easier in snowshoes, rather than this light dusting over loose scree and ice. : )

Looking down...

...looking north...

...and looking south. : )

Chilly winds on the summit, so we continued on our way without a break. To head back, we just skirted along the south ridge and then headed for the little knoll just up and left of center in this picture. Not a lot of sun on this side, but easy travel, and I think I prefer this way, rather than up on the south ridge. : )

Down in the meadows was quite wet, but mostly frozen. The first picture is looking back at the south ridge. Second is looking towards the Baby Munday area peaks, which stayed obscured by the high clouds all day.

Will make a great snowshoe trip this winter, but lower down in the meadows. : )

Edited by - John and Katie on 11/09/2012 6:28 PM

mick range
Extreme Hoser

Trail running, bike hucking, fast packing, beer drinking collector of pine cones on a day pass

AKA

Dances with Trees

Forest Gnome Cabin
Canada

13584 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  6:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice looking hike, John!
How long did it take?

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1414 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  6:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mick range

That is a nice looking hike, John!
How long did it take?

Thanks MR. : ) From the Foley FSR, 3:20 to summit, 7:00 car to car.

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

15026 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  7:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one done, John. Really like your shots and your loop.

K

Kanike

Chilliwack
1476 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  8:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What time after your hike were you driving along Chwk Lake Rd.? My friend and I were jogging and I thought I recognized your car?!

Awesome looking hike. I have to get up there again!
ClubTread Supporter

Elkaholic

Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Canada

1205 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  8:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading your last couple reports, I'm starting to think my trip up there wasn't the true summit. Will have to look into that. Envious of the sun you got today, there wasn't much further to the East.
ClubTread Supporter

Mr. B
Intermediate Member

Popkum, B.C.
Canada

780 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  9:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, John & Katie! Nice to see the summit without all the snow. A timely picture of Mr. Laughington's cross!
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7344 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  9:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job you two. Laughington is great any time of year.

RamblingBull
Intermediate Member

886 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillyGoat

Nice job you two. Laughington is great any time of year.

That's a very serious, not to say solemn, statement.
It's called Laughington for a reason, remember?
ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6094 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lovely trip John. I always appreciate your reports!

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  1:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a perfect day out! I went there on one of Karl's trips a couple of years back but haven't been back. What's the access road up there like in winter?

That must have been some scent that dog was following.

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1414 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  5:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Glad to see so many enjoyed it. : )

quote:
Originally posted by Kanike

What time after your hike were you driving along Chwk Lake Rd.? My friend and I were jogging and I thought I recognized your car?!

Awesome looking hike. I have to get up there again!

Yes, I was fairly certain that was you in the pink shirt. Well done in taking up jogging, and with the Chilliwack River as your view. : )

quote:
Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

What a perfect day out! I went there on one of Karl's trips a couple of years back but haven't been back. What's the access road up there like in winter?

That must have been some scent that dog was following.

Foley FSR is in rough shape (pot holes), but Airplane Creek FSR looks to be in good shape. All the small rock slides I reported on last winter have been cleaned up.

Thanks again everyone. : )

Edited by - John and Katie on 11/10/2012 5:07 PM
ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6094 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2012 :  7:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I really want to see that cross...what the hey? How come the Laughington in 103 hikes doesn't have the cross anyway? I'm going to get to Laughington true summit and hopefully when the cross isn't under a ton of snow...count my words.

Happy trails,
Lynn

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1414 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flowing-Brook

Now I really want to see that cross...what the hey? How come the Laughington in 103 hikes doesn't have the cross anyway? I'm going to get to Laughington true summit and hopefully when the cross isn't under a ton of snow...count my words.

Happy trails,
Lynn

Sorry FB, I almost missed your post. Laughington in 103 hikes is probably calling the fake summit as the destination. In my opinion, I would completely avoid the S. ridge to that...nothing special. Either cross the meadows, or take Upper Airplane Creek FSR to the true summit. Much more enjoyable.

Once on the peak in this picture, you need to traverse to your left a bit and you will see another peak of similar elevation just seconds away. That is where the cross is. : )

Edited by - John and Katie on 11/11/2012 12:20 PM
  Topic  
 All Forums > Trip Reports > British Columbia Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam