Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1418 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  5:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
October 28, 2012

The two of us haven't hiked since the Thompson/Crown weekend three weeks ago. The weather just hasn't cooperated on the weekends since. Weather forecast called for clouds/sunny breaks today, and very little chance of rain. We had to go for it.
Didn't want to drive far for a what may be a no view day, so we decided on Harvey. Short hike, but a good grunt to get back in hiking shape.

It felt as if I was really struggling right off the bat. No hike in three weeks and the heaviest pack I have carried in quite some time. No doubt Katie would make it, but was I going to...

There she is. Thoughts of being above the clouds ran through my mind after seeing this. : )

Going up the steep ridge was tough. A mix of snow, dirt, roots, and rocks. Crampons went on about 20 min. from the top of the ridge.
About 30cm of snow here. If someone hadn't been up in the last day or two, snowshoes would have been handy from here.

Ridge walking. Knee deep in spots, and I was post-holing down to the ground, so it was rough trying to walk with some balance. Not knowing what your foot was to land on, the ankles really got tested through this stretch.

Final moments of the ridge, before the...

...steep grunt up to the summit.

Summit cairn within view. About 40cm up here.

Various shots of Katie posing on said cairn. I don't know what she was staring at, but she stayed put and I clicked away as I circled. : )

Big group photo. I threw a snowball at the camera to get her to look in that direction. : )
No views, but no wind. Snow was wet.
Thought about staying longer to see if that sun above my head was going to break through, but we were both chilling down, and decided to get moving.

Beating up a stick. : )

Enjoying our first rays of sun. Ya, it always comes out on the way down. : )

Had a little break here to take off the crampons, and soak in some more sunshine. : )

Clouds continued to roll in and out once back on the road. At least we got some colour from the day. : )

I'm going to end this one with a little bit of sunshine coming at ya. : )

Edited by - John and Katie on 10/28/2012 5:55 PM

Rachelo
Advanced Member

Calgary, Alberta
Andorra

4155 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  5:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nc snw!

Do you need to buy a vowel?

Stoked

1201 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Postholing in crampons! Wow, that's tough. I can't think of anything I'd rather do less.

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1418 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  4:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stoked

Postholing in crampons! Wow, that's tough. I can't think of anything I'd rather do less.

That's too bad, because we had a great time. No rain, and we had the place to ourselves all day. I did pay for it on Monday though.

zeljkok

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1399 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  5:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
No rain, and we had the place to ourselves all day. I did pay for it on Monday though.

I can totally relate to this! Too bad summit ridge was in clouds, but Harvey is still a classic. Great shot of Katie on that lookout halfway up by the way -- you should have submitted that one for the calendar

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1418 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  6:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeljkok

quote:
No rain, and we had the place to ourselves all day. I did pay for it on Monday though.

I can totally relate to this! Too bad summit ridge was in clouds, but Harvey is still a classic. Great shot of Katie on that lookout halfway up by the way -- you should have submitted that one for the calendar

One of the first big snow hikes of last winter did me in too. To be expected, I guess. : )

We've been up Harvey quite a few times and that was the first time we didn't see a soul car to car. Strange for such a nice day after so many rainy days.

Hmmm....I've started posting her hiking pictures on a dog forum and there have been a few comments on that particular shot too. Perhaps I will edit my calender post... : )

another jeff

Langley
431 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  6:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures. I remember thinking that trail was tough enough in the summer, I'm impressed that you got up in all that snow. Too bad about the lack of views at the top.
ClubTread Supporter

Elkaholic

Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Canada

1205 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  7:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MarkT and his dog seem to like this hike too, it must be a bit of a classic.
ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6094 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  8:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! I can't wait to get out there.

Stoked

1201 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John and Katie

quote:
Originally posted by Stoked

That's too bad, because we had a great time. No rain, and we had the place to ourselves all day. I did pay for it on Monday though.

No problem. I use good mountain boots for this sort of thing.

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1715 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the years, Katie's looking to be turning into one tough hiking doggie.

Starting to be tough keeping up with her?

John and Katie

Surrey, BC
Canada

1418 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2012 :  2:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by another jeff

Nice pictures. I remember thinking that trail was tough enough in the summer, I'm impressed that you got up in all that snow. Too bad about the lack of views at the top.

I blame it all on the crampons.

quote:
Originally posted by tu

Over the years, Katie's looking to be turning into one tough hiking doggie.

Starting to be tough keeping up with her?

Always has been.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Trip Reports > British Columbia Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam