Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

hpka
Starting Member

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

49 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  2:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I'm trying to find the best recipe for bread while out on the trail. The key requirements are:

• As light as possible before cooking (e.g. minimal liquids, preferably powdered, water can be added up there)

• No perishables (e.g. no butter, fresh milk, eggs etc). Powdered, freeze dried and long life is good (powdered milk, minimal cooking oil all ok).

• Can be prepared while camping (can have some preparation of the meal at home, but can't require an electric whisk out on the trail).

• Minimal cooking utensils. All you have are a 1L cooking pot, a lightweight skillet, a spoon, spork, knife, spatula and a small LPG camping stove. A dutch oven or heavy skillet is specifically not available. Packing in and packing out here.

So far, Bannock bread (http://artofmanliness.com/2011/04/04/baking-in-the-wild-how-to-make-bannock-bread/) seems to fit the bill. It requires taking only the mixture and a small bottle of oil up there, then cooking it on the stove using the skillet. However, I really want alternatives, better still, fluffier alternatives.
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  4:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given your list of requirements, you're probably better off not making bread.
ClubTread Supporter

darrenbell
Advanced Member

Penhold, Alberta
Canada

2187 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  4:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not just take Pillsbury poppin fresh dough , IE: dinner rolls etc...?

Edited by - darrenbell on 09/06/2012 9:20 PM

shaynetonio

Vancouver, BC
Canada

77 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  4:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say you can do a lot with bannock - the Tassajara Breadbook may also have some interesting bread recipes, I'll have a look

You could also try chapatis but it's more like a flat bread

sixwings

190 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to make bannock next time i go hiking!

joker

Brentwood Bay, BC
285 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
steam it...

I think I found the recipe/procedure here on clubtread but I cant seem to find it so I will try to go by memory...

Take whatever basic bread recipe you want... bannock or bisquick

put some roughly even rocks in a small pot with a well fitting top, fill with about an inch or so of water (the rocks should not be totally submerged), take a mixture of premixed dough and water and put some into a small lightly greased pastry pie plate, place this into the pot, put the top on and bring to a boil, once at a boil turn down to a simmer and let simmer for 10 - 20 minutes (time is a guess... just is the number in my head).

It is a bit heavy on the fuel burn but not too bad since typically it should simmer at a very low setting, the bread will be moist... very moist!

edit...

found this post...

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34841

This could be the post I got it from but I thought it was from earlier than 2010, anyways same theory I just use rocks instead of a upside plate and I like the "heavier" small pie plate over flimsy muffin cups.

Edited by - joker on 09/06/2012 12:09 AM

Osbos

Vancouver Island, BC
Canada

283 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  8:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dru

Given your list of requirements, you're probably better off not making bread.

Agree with this. I buy some buns at the bakery for hiking.

MalcolmS
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken from Robin Hood flour website:

1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (125 mL) water, warm
1 envelope (8 g) active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp/11 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine
2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) water, warm
5 1/2 cups (1375 mL) ROBIN HOOD® Best For Bread Homestyle White Flour

Note: this makes two loaves of bread.

For your purposes substitute shortening for the butter, mix all the ingrediants together (except for water) before leaving home. Bring along a seperate bag of just flour for the kneading portion. Also bring a little oil or shortening to grease your pan for both the rising of the dough and for when you bake it.

You don't say how much experience you have with baking bread at home. If you have none, then bake lots of bread at home before you try to master it on the trail.

rustysheep

Abbotsford, BC
Canada

183 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bannock is the way to go. Just put your mix (flour & baking powder is the simplest) together in a ziplock bag. Once you're at camp simply add water to the back until it reaches the right consistency. Take some dough into a long strand or role and wrap it around a stick then roast it over some coals. That's what I've always done. It's amazing tasting, very simple and meets all your requirements.

http://www.survivalgrounds.com/bannock.php

Edited by - rustysheep on 09/07/2012 09:09 AM

surreycrv
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  4:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/CookwareUtensils/Cookware/PRD~4000-892/outback-oven-ultralight-oven.jsp

where you can bake almost any bread recipe you choose. fits on your stove

seboyle

Squamish, BC
Canada

268 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  8:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just made Jamie Oliver's Navajo flatbreads last week at Bowron Lakes and I really recommend them (they may not be fluffy enough for you but I think they fit all your other requirements).

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/navajo-flatbreads
ClubTread Supporter

Aqua Terra
Advanced Member

canine loving, machete-toting bushwhacking lake seeker, Indiana Jones hat-wearing off-road 4x4 guru

Mission, BC
Canada

7806 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  8:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
most of us barely have the time to enjoy a simple cup of coffee when camping
What kind of hikes or camps do you do and how much time per trip to even consider baking a good bread?
I could see this when multi day boat tripping etc.
Backpacking we will carry a quality rye bread in slices, keeps for days even warm and wont taste old right away. making that on the trail is not an option though.
If you are baking fresh and its good, let us know, we will be your next hiking partners for sure

blackfly
Advanced Member

Manitoba's misadventurin' bushwhackin', dog sloggin', dehydratin', beer drinkin' biggie - who's eager to peak bag Mt Currie in a dress

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have time for bread, then you have time for apple pie.

Bannock, dried (then rehydrated) apples, cinnamon and sugar. Butter if you've been able to keep it cool.

Prepare in a pot with a lid. Place in the coals of a not-too-hot fire, let sit for awhile. Put some burning embers on the top for browning, and voila!

Whip that sucker out ten days into a canoe trip and see who becomes everyone's favorite cook.

Ok not exactly bread but definitely something cool to do with bannock.

Eryne
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

675 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible to make yeast bread, or more accurately, buns.

Just sub in dehydrated eggs and powder milk in your recipe. The challenge in making good buns is two-fold: getting the yeast to work in the cold alpine and kneading the bread.

My friend who makes bread on our hiking trips mixes the floury and yeasty mixture with warmish water and lets it rise while relaxing around camp. Then she kneads it and forms it into buns. Next, she places it into a plastic cup floating in about 500 mL of water in her pot. She puts the whole thing on the stove and simmers it for about 10-15 minutes.

Simple pimple and tasty too.

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1715 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't that, like, a dumpling?

Or does it have the dry texture of bread? That would be cool.

Cherry Pirate

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  2:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use bannock for everything and find it sufficiently fluffy. Though, I think Dru has a point. If those are your restrictions, and bannock doesn't sit well with you, then you might need to be more utilitarian in your meal choices.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Hiking and Backpacking Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam