Lake Of the Hanging Glacier Condition
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
961 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I'm told that the trail bridge to Lake of the Hanging Glacier is out due to high waters. The report is of mid-July. Anyone knows if the bridge is still out?

gyppo
Intermediate Member

Edmonton, AB
Canada

772 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  11:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of the 23rd signs on the Horsethief FSR indicated the bridge at 3km on the trail is still out and the creek cannot be crossed. When we were there, creeks (and Windermere lake) were quite high.
If you're in the area and want to do a classic the Jumbo creek road is good all the way to the trailhead. Skip Bastille mountain and head right from the col. keep on ridge walking until you can't anymore.

A note of caution - on out way back down the Forster-Horsethief road after staying at Thunderwater lake, we had to cut and/or winch 3 fallen trees off the road. One of them was over 30cm in diameter at the base and had fallen due to erosion on the banks of the creek. Bring an axe at least!

Also Toby creek adventures has "no trespassing" at the entrance to the Paradise mine road. We didnt' go up, but some locals later told us it is NOT private property, and the company's land lease expired 2 years ago. There is a gate but they are apparently not allowed to lock it as the road isn't their property. They're just trying to keep people out of 'their' quadding riding area, which is in fact crown land. At least that's what we were told! Just a heads up if you're thinking of going there.

B

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
961 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  4:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information gyppo.

OK, I called Kootenay NP visitor center and they told me that the trail to Lake of the Hanging Glacier is closed due to water damage and will likely stay so for the rest of the season.

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1709 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2012 :  6:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
. Hopefully next season.

Kootenay Kid

Invermere, BC
Canada

178 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  1:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ummmm KNP has nothing to do with Lake of the Hanging Glacier so not sure about that. Forestry had a crew in there last week to replace/fix the bridge so I believe it is good to go now. I will try to get confirmation.

Here is a release from Ministry of Forests

Access updates for recreationists:

Palliser FSR Bridge (13km):
Bridge replacement completed, open to all traffic.

Cross FSR Bridge (33.5km):
Bridge repair completed.

Horsethief FSR:
Repair completed at Radium, Gopher Creek and McDonald Creek (small slump), good to Lake of the Hanging Glacier trailhead (trail closed – footbridge out).
Forster Landing Road and access over Columbia River at Radium Hot Springs. - Road repairs completed.

East Fork White River FSR (52+km):
Remains rough with mud-holes especially past Monroe Lake toward the Bull River FSR.

Jumbo FSR:
Snow avalanches and debris have been cleared from the Jumbo Creek Forest Service Road. Access to the Jumbo Pass Trailhead is possible by high clearance 2WD vehicles.

Silent Pass trailhead
A rock and mudslide from 2011 blocks the road at approx. The 58 km mark. Road improvements are planned in the next two weeks.

Brewer Creek trailhead
Avalanche debris and road repairs will occur on the last 4 kms of road in the near future.

Albert River FSR (Ralph Lake/Leman Lake-KNP):
Impassable by vehicle at 56 km due to annual avalanche damage.

Gray Creek Pass:
Highly unlikely that it will open this year. Extensive repairs necessary to both sides of the summit.

Ram Creek Hotsprings road behind Premier Lake
Washed out 100m before the Hot Springs. The Hot Springs themselves have been completely filled in with rocks and gravel and are not useable.

Public caution:
Seasonal conditions exist on most roads. A minimum of high clearance two-wheel drive vehicle is recommended for most back-country travel. Back-country roads may present rough and/or wet conditions with soft (muddy) sections. Where avalanche paths exist the roads may be partially covered with residual debris. Travellers should carry appropriate equipment.

As always, caution is advised on all roads and back-country travellers should be aware of rapidly changing weather conditions and stream flows which may affect road conditions. Further advice for travelling on Forest Service Roads is available on the Rocky Mountain Resource District website ( www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/ ).

Kootenay Kid

Invermere, BC
Canada

178 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  1:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and as for Toby Creek Adventures...they own the land at the base and have a tenure license in place. There are issues because there are mine claims and other properties with other owners but they maintain the road. The best thing is to just go in and talk to them

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
961 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  8:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know that Lake of the Hanging Glacier is not in KNP but I expected they may have some information on it. Thank you very much for posting a release from Ministry of Forests. Could you give a link to their releases?

Actually their release confirms what a lady at KNP visitor centre told me:

good to Lake of the Hanging Glacier trailhead (trail closed – footbridge out).

We ended up camping at Marvel Pass. I'll post a trip report when I have time. One word - MOSQUITOES ARE BRUTAL over there!

pmjwright
Intermediate Member

Salmon Arm, BC
Canada

970 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Marvel Pass is superb, looking forward to your TR Engor!!

Now the FS website reports Jumbo Pass road will be closed starting Aug 20 for bridge work. Anyone considering doing Jumbo better get there soon...PS the west access - Glacier Creek FSR - is still closed due to high water damage this spring. (I wish Selkirk District--the old Kootenay Lake Forest District--had a similar web page for updates).

Edited by - pmjwright on 08/07/2012 1:29 PM

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
961 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  9:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I'll post it in a few days. Yes, it's a beautiful area.

Kootenay Kid

Invermere, BC
Canada

178 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  2:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The info came directly from Ministry of Forests or whatever they're called now and isnt regularly released. One of my SAR colleagues works for them and thats where the info came from so I thought it would be a good idea to pass it on. That info can be hard to find out.

They sent a crew in to work on the bridge of LOTHG so I thought there was a chance they got it in. However, after my last post, I contacted my friend at the ministry who said they were unable to get the bridge in and that it will take quite a bit of work to get the bridge in. So unfortunately it appears that the trip may not be doable this year. I was hoping to do it again myself as its been a few years so I cant remember if its possible to ford the creek somewhere.

pmjwright
Intermediate Member

Salmon Arm, BC
Canada

970 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  2:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer. This year's weather has really affected hiking plans, what with the wait for snowmelt (and for the rain to stop) and all the access problems.

Some good news, though, the road into McMurdo Hut and Silent Pass (2011 mudslide) has been fixed. That's where I'll be next week.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Mainland Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam