Fishing in Bedwell Lake?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

more_cowbell

Victoria, BC
Canada

103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  11:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Does anyone know if there are shore fishing opportunities in Bedwell and/or the surrounding lakes? I am heading up there next week and wondering if it'd be worth bringing a fly rod along.

Edited by - more_cowbell on 07/30/2012 11:01 AM

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of don't think that there are any fish in either of the Bedwell lakes. Of the many times I have camped on those lakes, I have never seen any fish action. Same for Little Jim & Cream Lks, both of which are still frozen over. I'm under the impression that the only alpine lakes on the Island that have fish, have been stocked.

troutbreath

Newton, bc
Canada

300 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  2:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.clubtread.org/bedwell.htm

There might be fish in there. The lakes on forbidden plateau have fish though so there is a good chance it they had stocked that lake at sometime.

greyhound

nanaimo, BC
Canada

114 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  4:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Prother... I have never seen any fish activity at either of these lakes. I always find it a bit eerie when the lake surfaces are dead calm in the evening and early morning and there are no fish surfacing.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  7:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have been told, the lakes (anywhere) on the Island are not very good habitat for trout and even those lakes that trout occur naturally, the fishing's generally poor, with small fish. It has something to do with the lack of natural feed.

In the stocked alpine lakes,the fish don't generally reproduce and the stock may grow for several years, until someone catches a couple of big ones. Then word gets out and the next people find nothing... because the first fishers caught them all. I have heard of opinions to eradicate the stocked lakes of fish and to return them to their original state, but I don't have a definitive opinion myself .

Maybe someone with more knowledge of fresh water fish in Island alpine lakes could speak to this.

Peter

more_cowbell

Victoria, BC
Canada

103 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  8:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all - looks like the rod will stay at home.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  9:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No... bring it and prove us all wrong. What's another half pound? Besides, you'll have something to do, when your girlfriend says, "I hate bugs and I hate hiking and I'm not coming out of the tent." Maybe I'm reading more into this trip than is really there, but bring your pole.

troutbreath

Newton, bc
Canada

300 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  9:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't go there without one.

alexcanuck
Intermediate Member

919 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  06:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However, if you do catch a couple of 5 pounders, don't tell us here on a public forum or there will be no fish left for next year...
Just PM me!

troutbreath

Newton, bc
Canada

300 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  08:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Acidic lakes limit the amount of good feed for trout. So lakes that have limestone around them are better for aquatic life that trout like to feed on and get big. Lake Helen Mckenzie has some decent sized fish in it and is one of my favorite Van Isle lakes to fish and camp at. You may not get 5 pounders but a one pounder is not unusual.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  9:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected. Apparently the Bedwell lakes do have trout in them. A friend I spend a lot of mountain time with, told me today, that he has caught fish there. He also said that all of the lakes in the Paradise Meadows area are stocked, but thought it was catch and release, so check the regulations.

joker

Brentwood Bay, BC
276 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know about the Bedwell Lakes.

With the lakes on the plateau... you can keep your catch.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by troutbreath

Acidic lakes limit the amount of good feed for trout. So lakes that have limestone around them are better for aquatic life that trout like to feed on and get big. Lake Helen Mckenzie has some decent sized fish in it and is one of my favorite Van Isle lakes to fish and camp at. You may not get 5 pounders but a one pounder is not unusual.

That's the info I was looking for. So, if limestone areas are productive for fish feed, you still need to have a native fish population, which doesn't seen too likely in the alpine lakes, with all of the steep obstacles. I can think of many karst (limestone) areas on VI, but not many that connect to easy access to the ocean. So, you need to know your stocked lakes,or where the easier access is for salmonoids into karst areas. I might know a few.

Food for thought and I'd bet that the trout fishers are cursing me for this post.

Peter

troutbreath

Newton, bc
Canada

300 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.gofishbc.com/fish-facts/fish-stocking-facts.aspx

Most people fishing would already know about this site. Unless they live off the grid.

more_cowbell

Victoria, BC
Canada

103 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well shoot. I'd never have guessed there were fish in there either. I didn't see any jumpers although there were plenty of bugs.

Next time the fly rod is coming. There are plenty of good shore casting spots at both the big and baby lakes.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Vancouver Island Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam