Campbell River, BC
Posted - 05/29/2012 : 12:23 PM
| Just spent May 6-12 on the West Coast Trail and May 22-27 on the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail with variable weather conditions. Here are some relevant items:
- early season use was way down according to Parks and according to Monique
- no serious winter storm damage visible - some small windfall has been cleared
- Chez Monique's is in full operation, although some menu items (salmon, etc) were unavailable due to uncertain trail traffic
- The Smithsonian Institute was using a diamond saw to cut out a 29 million year old, intact whale fossil from Bonilla Pt - they used the extremely low tides to cut/fly out the fossil and will return a casting to the Royal BC Museum
- "luxury camping" in big wall tents with wood stoves is now available at 30Km at Tsaquadra
- Take care with manky ladders on N side of Cullite Crk
- Mama bear with two cubs active between Botanical Beach and Payzant
- We did not observe the trail washout at 29Km - we used the beach
- Heavy construction with large equipment south of Renfrew, near the hairpin corner
A reminder that older Telus/Bell phones will pick up the CDMA(?) cell signal from Neah Bay and other towers in Washington State. Rogers/Fido will not work.
Feel free to email me with specific questions-- I'll be on the WCT a few more times this season.
ACMG Hiking Guide, Outdoor Educator