Author Topic
Page: of 3

gyppo
Intermediate Member

Edmonton, AB
Canada

770 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Of course, this was going to happen regarless of public opinion. Parks Canada continues to whore out our natural resources. Thanks, Parks Canada.

"
Jasper National Park, Alberta, February 9, 2012 – Today, the Honourable
Peter Kent, Canada’s Environment Minister and Minister responsible for
Parks Canada, announced the decision to move forward with negotiations with
Brewster Travel Canada’s proposal for a Glacier Discovery Walk project on
the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park. The Glacier Discovery Walk
project will be subject to mitigation measures identified through the
environmental assessment process.

Please check our website http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx"

Edited by - gyppo on 02/10/2012 12:19 PM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a crock of shit.

""""Government of Canada Announces Decision on Glacier Discovery Walk Proposal Environmental Assessment

Ottawa, Ontario, February 9, 2012 -- Today, the Honourable Peter Kent, Canada’s Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, announced the decision to move forward with negotiations with Brewster Travel Canada’s proposal for a Glacier Discovery Walk project on the Icefields Parkway in Jasper National Park. The Glacier Discovery Walk project will be subject to mitigation measures identified through the environmental assessment process.

“The Glacier Discovery Walk represents an innovative and accessible way for visitors of all ages and abilities to have a state-of the-art experience, ‘a view from the edge’ of the landscape,” said Minister Kent. “Visitors will have the opportunity to learn about the geography, geology, glaciology, the environment and Aboriginal history of the area. I am pleased to announce the approval of this exciting new project.”

Parks Canada’s determination was made following a robust review process which included open houses and an extensive public and aboriginal engagement program, as well as close examination of potential environmental effects and careful consideration of public comment under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. The project will now proceed to the next steps in the development review process, including lease negotiations and construction agreement.

“I am happy to report to my constituents in Yellowhead, and all Canadians that following an extensive environmental impact assessment, the Glacier Discovery Walk in Jasper National Park has been approved,” said the Honourable Rob Merrifield, Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, Alberta. “We are proud of this new exciting way for visitors from across Canada and around the world to experience the amazing vistas and learn about our unique ecological and cultural heritage while promoting economic activity and jobs in Jasper and the surrounding areas.”

The Brewster Travel Canada Glacier Discovery Walk Proposal meets the goals identified in the strategic concept for the Icefields Parkway, respects the approved management plans for Banff and Jasper national parks and addresses associated environmental and visitor experience issues.

The Icefields Parkway opened in 1940 as a scenic road for the use and pleasure of national park visitors. The Glacier Discovery Walk will be constructed on a previously disturbed, existing right-of-way for the Icefields Parkway and represents a unique and permissible development in a front country area of the park. As a world leader in conservation, Parks Canada would not approve this project if it were to cause significant adverse environmental effects.

“Our mountain parks draw people from all around the globe to enjoy the unparalleled beauty of our province of Alberta. And it is enhanced opportunities for visitor experiences, such as the Glacier Discovery Walk, that will help to keep them coming back again and again,” said Blake Richards, Member of Parliament for Wild Rose, Alberta, which includes Banff National Park. “As the chairman of Parliament's Tourism Caucus, I am excited by the opportunities for expanded tourism and a better knowledge of the natural history of our national parks that this project represents.”

“A major challenge in Canada’s national parks is to manage development in order to protect the area for future generations, while offering visitors the opportunity to enjoy and understand the national parks,” Minister Kent added. “During the public consultation process, we heard from many Canadians representing many perspectives. We recognize and appreciate the passion all Canadians feel for our national parks.”

Minister Kent thanked Brewster Travel Canada for their work in developing this proposal for consideration. For over 120 years, Brewster has been a valued partner in presenting outstanding visitor experiences and learning opportunities in Canada’s mountain national parks to Canadians and visitors from around the world.

This decision also supports the Government’s Federal Tourism Strategy, which helps encourage the development of exceptional tourism experiences and inspire the world to explore Canada.

The Icefields Parkway in Banff and Jasper national parks is an iconic feature and part of one of the finest and most extensive systems of protected natural areas in the world. Parks Canada is committed to ensuring Canada’s special places are presented and protected for the enjoyment, education and appreciation of all Canadians, today and in the future.""""

jd22

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada

1883 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another example of resounding Conservative brilliance.

Our electoral system needs to be fixed.
ClubTread Supporter

Sodbuster

High River, (just south of Calgary eh!), Alberta
Canada

1850 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  11:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kids are strongly influenced by early experiences and perhaps some kids who would otherwise just go thru life in their bubble tethered to their electronics might have an opportunity here to be bitten by the nature bug. Perhaps when they reach a point in life where they are making major decisions this experience will help to influence those decisions. We care about the things we love and statistics are showing that engagement with our National Parks is low for the ‘new Canadians’ among us also.

I realize this might be grasping at straws but is my hope that some good may come of this project.

HagensborgViking

Victoria, BC
Canada

461 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  4:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jd22

Sure.
The liberals would have just sold the whole park outright and laundered the money, and we would have found out about it two years later by accident.

mtnlioness

rockies, alberta
Canada

259 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  5:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to smile at human nature today as I was reading the Fitzhugh after hearing the Discovery walk announcement. There was an article from an interest group complaining about parks keeping Maligne river closed to rafting in order to protect the Harlequin ducks. The feeling expressed was that Parks was being too conservative. So I think that it really depends on who is wanting something from the park whether people are pleased or not.

nmcan84

in da bush, alberta
Canada

1066 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  6:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here's to sudden mass erosion on the cliffside that it will be built on.

I really hope they build it and the whole thing gives way one day,i'll haul the scrap metal out of their for some extra change.

maybe i'll go dig under there with my ice axe when i have free time.

peddlebike

Ladysmith, B.C.
Canada

213 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  6:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our parks are slipping away.......
The dip-shit that approved this project has no right to do so. A court challenge is in order. The door has been opened now.......there will be more projects like this to come.

ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7493 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  7:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I know everyone hates it, BUT I would still stop in there to see it if I was passing through! Guess I am one of one thousand that would

Edited by - AcesHigh on 02/09/2012 7:15 PM

nmcan84

in da bush, alberta
Canada

1066 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  7:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

I know I know everyone hates it, BUT I would still stop in there to see it if I was passing through! Guess I am one of one thousand that would

you would get more out of walking to the toe of the athabasca glacier.

the spot they are putting the glacier discovery walk is nowhere close to any glacier,the closest glacier is the edges of the stutfield glacier and it is pretty high above and far from the road.

The whole thing pales in comparison to the icefields snowbus tours they already have,they just want as much money as they can get,so they will build what they want.

maybe

North Vancouver, bc
Canada

170 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  9:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so fucking pissed off about this. As soon as I heard it was proposed I knew without a doubt it was a done deal.

cutthroat22

320 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  9:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be a cash cow during tourist season. Throw in some hot dogs and coffee and this place is a gold mine.

I hope this sets some kind of model and I can build suspension bridges all over the place.
ClubTread Supporter

darrenbell
Advanced Member

Penhold, Alberta
Canada

2180 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As pissed as most are about this crap, I really don't see it making enough revenue to sustain itself!
Who is going to park thier vehicle at the Icefield center, board a bus to be driven the 10 kms. to the roadside pull out to a roadside viewpoint? I admit, the uninformed tourist might but I highly doubt there is enough demand for this eyesore to bring in the cash to keep it alive in the long term.
Once it fails it will be up to Brewsters to clean up thier damn mess and I hope it costs them a small fortune! Just my hopes and dreams folks,lol.
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7493 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  05:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gyppo, the title of this thread should read "Discovery" not "Dicovery" nobody else in here picked up on it

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3725 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  06:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darrenbell

As pissed as most are about this crap, I really don't see it making enough revenue to sustain itself!

Which is why I agree with Ben Gadd: There's more to this. Gondola? Seems like a good bet. Brewsters has been acquiring gondola attractions and that seems to be one of their key business strategies. They transport far more people than buses at lower cost and higher prices.

With the Snow-coach buses looking like they won't be able to run within the next few years, Brewsters has something up their sleeve here.

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3725 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mtnlioness

I had to smile at human nature today as I was reading the Fitzhugh after hearing the Discovery walk announcement. There was an article from an interest group complaining about parks keeping Maligne river closed to rafting in order to protect the Harlequin ducks. The feeling expressed was that Parks was being too conservative. So I think that it really depends on who is wanting something from the park whether people are pleased or not.

If Brewsters wanted to run motor boats down the Maligne River, Parks Canada would send wardens out to shoot all the ducks. Brewsters gets whatever they want.

dav1481
Intermediate Member

931 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nmcan84

quote:

you would get more out of walking to the toe of the athabasca glacier.

the spot they are putting the glacier discovery walk is nowhere close to any glacier,the closest glacier is the edges of the stutfield glacier and it is pretty high above and far from the road.

The whole thing pales in comparison to the icefields snowbus tours they already have,they just want as much money as they can get,so they will build what they want.

You hit on the most ridiculous part of this project. It's a walk to nowhere. "Wow, I'm standing a few meters over a... valley. Where the f^&* is the glacier?" It will be a total letdown for anyone who has taken the snow-buggy tour, walked to the toe of the glacier, or (gasp) taken the short walk up to Wilcox or Parker Ridges. What is the point? It's a pathetic and transparent attempt at milking more money out of what amounts to a cheesy carnival ride. It would have made more sense to build a gondola up the ridge behind the Icefields Centre.

The project is ridiculous and the approval process was insulting.

gyppo
Intermediate Member

Edmonton, AB
Canada

770 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Gyppo, the title of this thread should read "Discovery" not "Dicovery" nobody else in here picked up on it

Thanks Aces, corrected.

B

Rachelo
Advanced Member

Calgary, Alberta
Andorra

4118 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  1:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jd22

that's right - the National Parks were excellently-funded pristine wilderness areas under the long years of Liberal power...

Rachelo
Advanced Member

Calgary, Alberta
Andorra

4118 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  1:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"As pissed as most are about this crap, I really don't see it making enough revenue to sustain itself!
Who is going to park thier vehicle at the Icefield center, board a bus to be driven the 10 kms. to the roadside pull out to a roadside viewpoint? I admit, the uninformed tourist might but I highly doubt there is enough demand for this eyesore to bring in the cash to keep it alive in the long term.
Once it fails it will be up to Brewsters to clean up thier damn mess and I hope it costs them a small fortune! Just my hopes and dreams folks,lol."

Problem is that in the meantime it's an obstruction for everyone else.
I think this is a horribly dumb idea, but I don't care all that much about it. I don't think the impact is horrible, so much as a concerning precedent.
My major issue is that they have permission to privatize a popular viewpoint, pullout, and trailhead. That's an issue for everyone who would happily just ignore the dumb floor.
Here's to piles more cars parked on the shoulder!

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  2:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note on Viad's need for cash. Apparently, the reservation where they built their last glass-bottomed outlook at the Grand Canyon has just issued a claim of 'eminent domain' against it, and a huge legal brawl over the project is about to begin.

Take that, add in the decline of snowcoach sales, and the company will be hurting for cash real soon.

By the way, on the CBC posting about the story, someone mentioned a new Chalet Village project Brewsters wants to do at the Icefields. A very slippery slope, indeed.

Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam