Edited by - MatthewBaldwin on 01/11/2012 10:18 PM

gyppo
Intermediate Member

Edmonton, AB
Canada

761 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2012 :  10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The title of this post is misleading. However:

I have received a message from the Jasper National Park Superintendent's office that points out inaccurate statements in the petition's text. Unfortunately in this case the Park seems to be trying to dismiss the petition on these technicalities which, upon re-reading the text, seem to be there in the form of exaggeration.

The PDF is borderline insulting. Stating "fiction" and "fact" statements, etc. that prove absolutely nothing.

Signing the petition is not enough. You HAVE to email or write a letter to the Superintendant of JNP. Let him know that you have researched this topic and didn't just sign the petition for shits and giggles.

Jasper.Superintendent@pc.gc.ca

**********************************************************************************************

Here is the Email, the PDF follows.

**********************************************************************************************

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the proposed Glacier
Discovery Walk. Below you will find some additional information that may
be of interest, including a recent news release outlining facts and
addressing misinformation regarding the proposal. There is also a question
and answer document, and links to websites that may be helpful.

Glacier Discovery Walk Update:
As you know, Parks Canada is considering a proposal from Brewster Travel
Canada to redevelop the Mount Kitchener/Sunwapta Canyon viewpoint on the
Icefields Parkway into a commercially-operated interpretive trail and
viewing platform. The proposal has received considerable public interest
over the past year, including a recent petition posted on the internet
which contains some misinformation. Attached are documents and websites
that will help clarify the facts.

Next steps:,
Parks Canada is expecting to take a decision regarding the environmental
assessment and proposal by late January, 2012. A notice of decision will
be posted on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry and we will
report back on public feedback and how it was taken into account.

For more information:
Summary information on the Parks Canada website clarifying the facts -
document attached, or use link: Glacier Discovery Walk - Setting the
Record Straight

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/~/media/pn-np/ab/jasper/pdfs/plan/NR_Proposed%20GDW-set%20the%20record%20straight.ashx

Parks Canada website for Jasper National Park Frequently Asked
Questions
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx
http://www.pc.gc.ca/fra/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx

Brewster's Glacier Discovery Walk website at:
www.glacierdiscoverywalk.ca/downloads.html

Edited by - gyppo on 01/11/2012 10:45 PM

Steventy

1993 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wording on the petition was not as precise as it ideally would have been. In particular, it made the issue very personal. Why was Greg's name even mentioned?

However, the wording on the response from National Parks was also bad and it really irked me. I don't expect a high level of quality or accuracy from a bunch of random people on the internet who make a petition. However, I do expect that level of accuracy and honesty from the park and I expect them to be held accountable. Why is the park spending my tax dollars to essentially put out an ad for this project? Can they at least pretend that they are unbiased and will give both sides fair consideration? At the very very least, can they at least make their ad accurate?

It's disingenuous for the park to put out a press release arguing that Brewster is a Canadian corporation with a head office in Banff. Brewster is owned by an American company with a head office in America. Therefore Brewster revenue actually goes to America and is controlled out of America. Anyone with any common sense would state that Brewster is an American company. Would you argue that buying Pepsi is supporting a Canadian company since Pepsi in Canada is sold through Pepsi Canada? (http://pepsico.ca/en/index.html) No, everyone knows that Pepsi is an American company, even if they own subsidiaries in the countries they operate.

Also the proposal calls for giving Brewster a 42 year lease on the site which is located within the park. Anyone who wishes to enter the site must pay revenue to Brewster. All Brewster revenue belongs to Viad, a publicly traded American corporation.
It is not fiction that if this proposal is approved, visitors will have to pay money to an American corporation to access a part of a Canadian national park. That is fact. It's true that the entire park won't be privatized but was that even stated in the petition? Where did they get these fiction quotes from?

It's quite obvious that the park will proceed to approve the project. My guess is that one of the deciding factors will be the revenue that this attraction will generate (the financial agreement between Brewster and the park is confidential,) and the fact that the revenue will help to ensure long term job stability for the people who are making the decision to approve the attraction.

It's a sham of a process. As much as I dislike the project, I wish they had just saved the tax money and time and approved the project last year. It's clear that they will do whatever they can to approve it.

Also note that they are making this final decision based on a draft environmental review.

Edited by - Steventy on 01/12/2012 02:02 AM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  10:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the above is correct.

What I find odd is that apparently Greg Fenton, as Superintendent of the Park, has the authority to make the decision entirely on his own!

If he won't act in the best interests of the Park and its visitors, and he won't answer to the citizens of Canada (at least 135,000 of them so far!), he should be thrown out of his job.

DoubleE Alpinist

479 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the company is publically traded than why all the anti-American rhetoric? Last I checked Canadians are allowed to buy stock in American companies... If the majority of share holders are Candians but the company is headquartered in the US is the company still American?

I understand the desire to prevent privitization of a public resource but the implication is that it's so much worse because the company is American. Just saying that it's easy to over simplify.

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleE Alpinist

If the company is publically traded than why all the anti-American rhetoric? Last I checked Canadians are allowed to buy stock in American companies... If the majority of share holders are Canadians but the company is headquartered in the US is the company still American?

I understand the desire to prevent privitization of a public resource but the implication is that it's so much worse because the company is American. Just saying that it's easy to over simplify.

In May of 1996, 80% of Breswters was bought by Viad. Saying Brewsters is a Canadian company is like saying Walmart is.

There really two issues on this. First most of the profit (less Parks Canada's secret share) will leave the country instead of being used to maintain Canadian parks. The other is the intentional misdirection on the part of Parks Canada. Had they said that Brewsters, a US-owned subsidiary of an American corporation, was running the project, it would have been more palatable than trying to trick people into thinking Brewsters is some wholesome, home-grown outfit and then having the lie be discovered.

Personally, I also think the philosophy of the Viad project is not what one would expect from a Canadian organization. If Parks Canada had designed it, I think there would have been more public input allowed and the project would have been less thrill-oriented. I believe Canadians view their parks (as witnessed by the outcry over this proposal) in a far different way than multi-national corporations do.

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleE Alpinist

If the company is publically traded than why all the anti-American rhetoric? Last I checked Canadians are allowed to buy stock in American companies... If the majority of share holders are Candians but the company is headquartered in the US is the company still American?

Indeed, it's misleading, and a bit ugly. I pointed this out in another thread...yes..."evil Americans" plays well here...but surely we needn't rely on such ploys.

Make no mistake, a company like that is generally full of, and linked to, multinational money...in that sense they represent many nations...or none...depending on how you view it. Nor do I think it would matter much at all if it were some kind of genuinely Canadian corporation (were such a thing to exist)...our politicians, and our corporations, are capable of just as much destruction and callousness as the worst American examples.

Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam