Regional Discussion
 British Columbia - Vancouver Island
 Great Central Lake to Buttle Lake
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Kingpin63

130 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  2:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
We are planning a traverse from Great Central Lake to Buttle Lake next summer.
Has anyone completed this route? I know the Strathcona Centennial Expedition did it last year (2010) via Price Creek over Price Pass to Margaret Lake.

The plan as it stands now is to get dropped at the end of GC Lake and hike to Love Lake via the Della Falls Trail. From Love Lake cross over Margaret Peak, work our way down to Cream Lake and then over to the Bedwell Trail.

Question: Is carrying on up Drinkwater Creek, up and over, then down to Bedwell Lake a viable option? Looks possible.....ha ha.

I know this is such a specific question. We are taking up to five days so hope to have time to explore options in the area.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by - Kingpin63 on 11/29/2011 6:24 PM

Lonny

153 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  6:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiking Trails 3 would be a good reference for you to use on this trip.

It says that it is possible to continue up Drinkwater past Della Falls to the ridge between Bedwell and Cream Lake. However, this is a very difficult route (bushwack), not a trail. There is at least a 2km stretch described as "extremely difficult" and this portion of the hike would take "a very long day".

I would vouch for the Love Lake route, although I haven't done it personally. From Love Lake you could head West over Mt. Septimus and then down to Cream Lake. The route above Love Lake is steep and probably best for experienced hikers, and would most likely require an ice axe and crampons.

Hope this is helpful.
Lonny

Kingpin63

130 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  7:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lonny! It is all helpful. We are both experienced and will have the mixed gear required. I will track down the book entry. Very long days make the best stories

Lonny

153 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KingPin63,

Did you ever end up doing this route? If so, which way did you go? I'm considering doing it this August. Anyone else have any info about the section between Cream Lake and Love Lake. It looks pretty straight forward.

We plan on hiking in the Bedewell Trail to Cream and camping. Next day up the snow patch on Septimus shown here

and then down to Love Lake.

What is the section from Septimus down to Love Lake like? I've been to Love Lake a few times but couldn't tell whether it would be better to come down on the west side of Love Lake or to traverse across to the north and then descend.

Any info appreciated.

Lonny

Kingpin63

130 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  1:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Lonny we never made that trip. We still hope to do the through trip but via Della lake, Bear Pass and then down into the Bedwell Valley via Ashwood or You Creek.

We will be doing some trail maintenance on the Della falls trail next weekend (July 20th) and depending on snow levels may range out to do some exploring after we are done. I'll let you know what things look like up there.

Lonny

153 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'll be in the Bedwell/Cream area that weekend too, but not crossing over on this trip. Are you doing that trail maintenance with Alberni SAR? There had been talk about doing a combined rope rescue practice on the Sunday but I think the Alberni crew couldn't make it because they were doing trail work... ?

Kingpin63

130 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2013 :  07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we entered into a volunteer agreement with BC Parks this year to do some work. I paddled down in April and the campsite and start of trail were pretty clogged up with blow down.

Kingpin63

130 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2013 :  09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go Lonny. There is no snow on the Della Falls trail at all. Septimus is almost bare of snow on the Love Lake aspect. No snow around the lake or on the trail up. It was close to 30 degrees up at Love lake and the swimming is awesome. Bring bug dope!!

The glacier on Nine Peaks in still intact for those with their eyes on that goal.

If you want more pics Lonny just PM me your email and I'll send them. Many are too big to post.

Good luck on the traverse. The conditions are awesome on the Great Central side and we cleaned up the trail and campsite a fair bit this past weekend.

For those that haven't been to Love Lake, it is one of the parks greatest gems.

Edited by - Kingpin63 on 07/24/2013 8:56 PM

Lonny

153 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2013 :  6:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the beta Kingpin.

We had a great weekend up in the Bedwell/Cream Lake area. Here are a couple shots from that side in case you're interested.

Bedwell Drinkwater Pass

Nine Peaks Cream Lake and Mt Septimus

sthorout
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2013 :  12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lonny,

The best way to Love Lake from Cream is, as you intend, up through the chute to Septimus then head north east below the peaks and go down the east side of Love Lake to the outlet. The west side has some cliffy areas and if unfamiliar with it could be complicated. Once your on the east side follow the ridge a bit before you drop down, easier meadows down to the outlet farther along. For Kingpin, I've travelled down the Drinkwater from the pass to Della Falls and it is indeed a bushwack and would be a tough slog going up. The prettier, but longer way, would be up to Love Lake then follow the directions above in reverse to get to Cream Lake and then its easy to Bedwell. As for gear the only part it might be useful would be the snow from Cream Lake to Septimus Ridge but not really necessary depending on your confidence on mixed terrain. Hope this was helpful.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Vancouver Island Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam