Previous Page | Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 7

Arcturus

Edmonton, AB
Canada

266 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless they're planning to implement and enforce some kind of parking time limit at Tangle Falls, there shouldn't be any issues for hikers or scramblers finding a spot as long as they get a reasonably early start. I did Tangle Ridge on a beautiful Saturday in September, sat in that parking lot from 8:00 to 8:30am while eating breakfast and prepping my gear, and saw a grand total of 3 vehicles drive by (2 of which were maintenance vehicles from the nearby Warden Station). Even on a long weekend, I doubt you'd run into a problem as long as you arrived by 10-ish.

Not that I'm defending the project. I still don't get what a 20m extension from that ridge is going to show you? More of the highway when looking directly south? I mean, the whole thing's fundamentally stupid. When I heard the news story earlier I assumed they'd be building on Snocoach Rd., where it might actually get you over something that's worth looking at.

I can see traffic being a real problem though. No matter how well they sign things, you know the majority of people will blow right past the parking lot, see the roadside attraction, and will then want to turn around. All those southbound people who used to just casually pull off to the side of the road will now be doing u-turns and then left turns in that area.

quote:
TRAFFIC STUDY
The design of the entry and exits from the highway and the use of free shuttle busses from the Glacier Discovery Centre will result in an overall reduction of personal vehicle traffic and collisions at the site.

Right.

maybe

North Vancouver, bc
Canada

175 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I don't even know what to say to this, everywhere I turn I see our parks being raped more and more, while funding gets less and less. Fuckin' brewsters, they are a real black eye on the rockies; pretty much destroyed the town of Banff.

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  1:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^ See johngenx's comments on the first page of this thread.

Pretty much sums it up, don't you think?

peddlebike

Ladysmith, B.C.
Canada

215 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  4:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Banff is slipping away......becoming something it shouldn't be.
You younger people that really care about the 'grand old park'...remember it well, because it won't resemble your memories in the very near future.

nmcan84

in da bush, alberta
Canada

1074 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  4:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peddlebike

You younger people that really care about the 'grand old park'...remember it well, because it won't resemble your memories in the very near future.

i dont think it matters much,but just remember that this is being built in jasper national park,not banff park and the snocoach road and glacier buses are on jasper park land too are they not??

i don't know of any new or old development that has taken place from lake louise to the banff/jasper park boundary,other than the odd hostel and num-tijah lodge.

peddlebike

Ladysmith, B.C.
Canada

215 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  8:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You younger people that really care about the 'grand old park'...remember it well, because it won't resemble your memories in the very near future....[/quote]

I don't think it matters much, but just remember that this is being built in Jasper National Park, not Banff Park and the snocoach road and glacier buses are on Jasper Park land too... are they not??

I don't know of any new or old development that has taken place from Lake Louise to the Banff/Jasper park boundary, other than the odd hostel and num-tijah lodge....[/quote]

You're right, it's Jasper.......thanks.

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Online petition. No idea whether it will help, but...

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Stop_inappropriate_development_in_Jasper_National_Park_and_World_Heritage_Site/?sbc

NathanC

Burnaby, BC
Canada

105 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  2:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a copy of an e-mail I sent. . . and below is a copy of the "form letter" response:

Dear Jasper Superintendent,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review my correspondence.

As a concerned citizen of Canada, I would like to express my opposition to the proposed Glacier Discovery Walk by Brewster's.

Canada's National Park system is a treasure to the world, and should be kept as it was designed. That is to say "NATURAL".

Visitors from all around the globe come to Canada to experience the wonder of NATURE that exists in our National Parks. They DO NOT come to our National Parks to experience a theme park atmosphere.

To allow the type of commercialization and exploitation that Brewster's has planned for the Sunwapta / Mount Kitchener viewpoint would set a dangerous precident, and essentially privatize that area of the park.

Canadians do not want to see our National Park system turned into some sort of outdoor Disneyland.

I have researched this project, the benefits and the drawbacks, and am still in opposition.

It is interstesting to note that the potential financial gains for Parks Canada related to this project remain confidential. Perhaps if the public was aware of the potential financial benefits of such a project, there may not be such a vocal outcry against it.

There has been an internet campaign gaining huge momentum AGAINST this project. I have added my name to that petition, but I wanted to take the time to send you a personal note also. Each of the names on the internet petition are concerned citizens, each one has a voice, and those voices need to be listened to.

The proposed development by Brewster's has no place in the greatest park system on the planet.

As the Superintendent of Jasper National Park, you have to power to stop this project. Please do your part to protect our National Park system and do not allow this project to proceed!!!

As a Canadian, I know and love our natural environments. To see them privatized and turned over to a for profit American corporation is very concerning indeed.

I urge you to listen to the voices of the Canadians and STOP THE PROPOSAL by Brewster's to build a "Glacier Discovery Walk".

Developments such as this have no part is our National Park system.

Gravely concerned,

RESPONSE:

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the proposed Glacier
Discovery Walk. Below you will find some additional information that may
be of interest, including a recent news release outlining facts and
addressing misinformation regarding the proposal. There is also a question
and answer document, and links to websites that may be helpful.

Glacier Discovery Walk Update:
As you know, Parks Canada is considering a proposal from Brewster Travel
Canada to redevelop the Mount Kitchener/Sunwapta Canyon viewpoint on the
Icefields Parkway into a commercially-operated interpretive trail and
viewing platform. The proposal has received considerable public interest
over the past year, including a recent petition posted on the internet
which contains some misinformation. Attached are documents and websites
that will help clarify the facts.

Next steps:,
Parks Canada is expecting to take a decision regarding the environmental
assessment and proposal by late January, 2012. A notice of decision will
be posted on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry and we will
report back on public feedback and how it was taken into account.

For more information:
Summary information on the Parks Canada website clarifying the facts -
document attached, or use link: Glacier Discovery Walk - Setting the
Record Straight
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/~/media/pn-np/ab/jasper/pdfs/plan/NR_Proposed%20GDW-set%20the%20record%20straight.ashx

Parks Canada website for Jasper National Park Frequently Asked
Questions
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx
http://www.pc.gc.ca/fra/pn-np/ab/jasper/ne.aspx

Brewster's Glacier Discovery Walk website at:
www.glacierdiscoverywalk.ca/downloads.html

This message is available in both official languages; if you did not
receive it in the official language of your choice please contact us for
the appropriate version.

Ce message est offert dans les deux langues officielles; si vous n’avez pas
reçu le message dans la bonne langue, veuillez prendre contact avec nous et
nous vous le ferons parvenir dans la langue officielle de votre choix.

Jasper National Park of Canada | Parc national du Canada Jasper
Parks Canada | Parcs Canada
P.O. Box 10, Jasper AB T0E 1E0 | C.P. 10, Jasper (Alberta) T0E 1E0
jasper.superintendent@pc.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 780-852-6171
Facsimile | Télécopieur 780-852-6229
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
www.pc.gc.ca/jasper

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3750 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  3:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, the argument seems to be that since commercial development already exists, then any new development is also fine.

What a load of crap.

nomsha

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

267 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps good, perhaps not. At least there's more thought being put into this. Perhaps the parks might listen to thousands of park users... ?

"Jasper National Park defers decision on controversial glacier walk"

http://edmjr.nl/xSmy9C

Arcturus

Edmonton, AB
Canada

266 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to that journalist's twitter feed, the "delay is due to the large number of comments" received and a decision is expected "within two weeks".

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  3:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nomsha

Perhaps good, perhaps not. At least there's more thought being put into this. Perhaps the parks might listen to thousands of park users... ?

"Jasper National Park defers decision on controversial glacier walk"

http://edmjr.nl/xSmy9C

Hopefully it's good...it certainly doesn't increase one's respect for Park's Canada...NOW after they're insulting defense of the project, they realize they need more environmental assessment? Politics as usual.

PS. Don't know how many have read this, but Ben Gadd has a theory about Brewster's motives:

http://mountainvision.ca/page39/assets/Ben%20Gadd.pdf

I've never met him, and don't know how far out there his speculation might be, but it's a scary thought.
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7502 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  3:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not defending the project but...

I think a project like this SHOULD be solely Canadians building it and running it for Parks Canada, with ALL proceeds going back into Parks Canada. No American bids or companies should be involved whatsoever.

To be brutally honest:
I imagine anyone driving by this on the highway would be interested in entering it and viewing, (if they haven't already) I know I would.

Question? Why the hell would they want Americans to manage this type of place? How many Canadian businesses manage parks in USA???

Just noticed in todays news:
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20120131/parks-canada-for-profit-glacier-project-120131/

Edited by - AcesHigh on 01/31/2012 5:59 PM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DCIPHER

PS. Don't know how many have read this, but Ben Gadd has a theory about Brewster's motives:

If anybody's qualified to discuss the project, Ben Gadd is. Check out his books.

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  5:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter1955

quote:
Originally posted by DCIPHER

If anybody's qualified to discuss the project, Ben Gadd is. Check out his books.

LOL! Ben Gadd has a book!!???? ;-)

His history in the area is of course is why I posted it...his speculation about the motives are another issue though. Difficult to say, as they are speculative (as Gadd freely admits), and thus only as good as the judgment of the speculator. Whether Gadd has good judgment on corporate motives....I simply have no idea. My impression has always been that he has a reputation as somewhat anti-corporate though. In any case, on that issue, I can't be sure about Gadd, however, it is a scary theory, so I thought it worthwhile posting.

NathanC

Burnaby, BC
Canada

105 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.vancouversun.com/Kent+gives+green+light+commercial+glacier+walk+project+Jasper/6126752/story.html

Well what a surprise!!! Very disappointing.

Steventy
Advanced Member

2061 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NathanC

http://www.vancouversun.com/Kent+gives+green+light+commercial+glacier+walk+project+Jasper/6126752/story.html

Well what a surprise!!! Very disappointing.

Yeah it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Time to get out the dynamite and start the blasting.

Unlike the Grand Canyon walkway, this thing is going to be very disappointing with many more negative impacts to visitors in the area.

Edit: And I should add... it's not like the Grand Canyon Walkway is super amazing either... it's just that the Rockies version (out over a rock pile) will be much worse.

Edited by - Steventy on 02/09/2012 08:08 AM

nmcan84

in da bush, alberta
Canada

1074 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm with justin trudeau on calling this peter kent " a piece of sh*t".

I rarely go past tangle hill and this will give me even more reason not to,i don't even want to see this thing. If i have to drive by,i'll do it in the dark.

thanks Peter and all the other idiots for ruining a piece of the park.

nomsha

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

267 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the Government/Parks Canada announced that the decision on the Glacier Walk was postponed, I figured there might be a chance that it would be rejected.

I just can't see any value in what is proposed other than for Brewsters to make money on clueless tourists.

Losing the free public viewpoint for Brewsters to build an 'interpretive walk' just makes me sad.

Arcturus

Edmonton, AB
Canada

266 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*shakes head*

Looks like the decision was never in Parks Canada's hands, so what was the point of the public consultations and environmental assessment?
Page: of 7 Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam