Open letter to Christy Clark regarding shark fins
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Terminator shade wearing, summit questing, double Grinding, Gordo voting self annointed 'dumb ass' and Aconcagua Bagga who dreams of Robson, Teton, The Judge, and.....and....

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More great news,

Claudia Li of Shark Truth is of course very excited about what we are trying to do out here in Port Moody and will bring her organizations years of experience to the table. The biggest obstacle council said we may face is a legal one. They will not break the law but Claudia is providing copies of the wording that Ontario communities used to pass this. Once this tent city fiasco has passed we will try to get larger more organized coverage.

Thanks for all your enthusiasm on this issue

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  8:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This comment on another forum caught my attention..."perhaps people should be "occupying" those restaurants instead of doing nothing in a park all day."
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Terminator shade wearing, summit questing, double Grinding, Gordo voting self annointed 'dumb ass' and Aconcagua Bagga who dreams of Robson, Teton, The Judge, and.....and....

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  7:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I did get a response to my letter. It completley ignored my question and concerns, and instead turned in to a load of crap patting themselves on the back for really doing nothing. I will try to keep this lack of real dialogue going as long as they keep responding with nonanswers. Do these idiots not have their own children that they have to look at every night and wonder what kind of world they will be left with.

Hello Mr. Congram and thank you for your follow-up message. We have asked our Ministry of Agriculture staff to review your comments and they have brought to light some information that you might find of interest. Our Ministry of Agriculture has worked with the fishing industry to have the Spiny Dogfish certified by the Marine Stewardship Council making it the only certified sustainable shark fishery in the world. The following website might be of interest to you: http://www.bcseafood.ca/sustainability/mscfisheries.php#dogfish As such any food derived from animals that are treated in an inhumane manner would not be something we would endorse. That is why we are so proud to have the world’s only certified sustainable shark fishery so that culturally significant dishes such as shark fin soup can be enjoyed with the knowledge that the animal it came from was treated in a humane way. Ministry staff go on to say that it should also be noted that the market for the spiny dogfish includes many European countries where all parts of the fish are utilized. Again, thank you for being in touch with us. We do appreciate this opportunity to respond further.

What percentage of the sharkfin soup served in our province do you really think comes from this Spiny Dogfish mubo jumbo? I will bet it is next to nothing and much, much more sharkfin is being imported from countries like Taiwan which will be a mixture different variations of Hammer Head and other ecologicaly sensitive spieces of shark. Give yourselves a big pat on the back.

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  9:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^
sounds like they are certainly dodging the issue and not going along with a ban

One reason many deer/elk farm applications are reviewed and often denied is because the potential of wild animals poached and added to the 'legal' outlet is too real a concern to be overlooked.
A ban on sharks-fins/restaurants are necessary.
Another note, it was in the regs a few years back to avoid Dogfish meat from larger than 3-foot sharks because of the mercury-toxins accumulation.
Coastal dogfish also have been tagged off the Charlottes and found months later in Tokyo Bay.
They seem to have a migration route that precludes the fish from being strictly 'canadian'.

Two days ago on CBC TV, a report hightlited that the Rays, mantas included, are equally in peril and mantas have been red-listed.
Reason?...the japanese & chinese market use the Gill-rakes-only for traditional medicines, and pictures are documented of hundreds of gill-rakes dried & cured in typical asian fish-markets.
Ignorant bastards.
Every bit as abhorrent as the shark fin industry.

Need to crank up the ban-petition a notch higher now!
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  5:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that clip about the Manta rays being killed for their lungs. Flucking sickened me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the dogfish Cambium, just shows even more what a load of crap our goverment is dishing out. Thanks as well for your suppourt, it's a hard thing to find these days. I think mabye a whopping 5 to 10% of my friends took the 90 seconds it takes to sign the pettition I put on my Facebook page.

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  6:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffster

I saw that clip about the Manta rays being killed for their lungs. Flucking sickened me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the dogfish Cambium, just shows even more what a load of crap our goverment is dishing out. Thanks as well for your suppourt, it's a hard thing to find these days. I think mabye a whopping 5 to 10% of my friends took the 90 seconds it takes to sign the pettition I put on my Facebook page.

almost as bad as my district voters only turning out 18 percent to vote.
The incumbent got in for a six term, he did say to me online that he would support a ban on the shark-issue, however he is "only one voice out of 17" and" that's the game"[of politics]!
Recontacted him today, I'll wait & see
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cambium

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffster

almost as bad as my district voters only turning out 18 percent to vote.
The incumbent got in for a six term, he did say to me online that he would support a ban on the shark-issue, however he is "only one voice out of 17" and" that's the game"[of politics]!
Recontacted him today, I'll wait & see

That is great news Cambium, allthough a mayor only counts for one vote he is the one that directs council so has influence. Make sure you feel out council members if you can, city hall will have their contact information. You will need to get advice on legal issues as well. Claudi from Shark Truth knows many people and she has arranged a meeting with a lawyer on animal rights issues to help with our delegation in Port Moody. I will PM you her email adress. Allthough I was reluctant to join her group as I felt I could do more by myself because I am working my own back yard her organizations help is proving to be huge in our efforts here. I have told her about you and she would like to give you advice to try and keep with in a set stradegy. Hard to belive, but all it takes is just some dedicated action from probably less than 1% of the worlds people and change would come swiftly on so many issues like this. Thanks for doing this cambium!!

Island Boy

Nanaimo, BC
Canada

220 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  2:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am all for this type of ban, as long as people realize that it should be a ban on imported sharks and not domestic sharks. BC has a shark fishery that is certified as sustainable by MSC.

http://www.msc.org/track-a-fishery/certified/pacific/british-columbia-spiny-dogfish

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/spiny+dogfish+making+history+world+first+sustainable+shark+fishery/5434285/story.html

The bans by Ontario municipalities actually eliminate this sustainable alternative from BC. That kind of ban is short-sighted and irresponsible.
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  5:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a big argument about the sustainability of the mentioned spiny dog fish and credibility of the certifier that is why organizations such as Shark Truth do not see this as an acceptable compromise. I am going to ask ocean and fisheries critic Fin Donnely his position on this as well when I see him of Friday. It be great if a solution like this could work and satisfy all parties involved.

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all the smiles and PR crap from municipal elections, and only an 18-percent turnout , its all back to same-old-same mold with our leaders.Not much moving locally on this front despite 'interest'.

But this could be encouraging, even though the Majority government does have a bone-up-it's-ass when it come to environment issues unsettlig their ideology.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote..."Dec 08 2011, NDP MP Fin Donnelly is trying to stamp out the international trade of shark fins by proposing legislation that would ban their import to Canada.

The NDP's fisheries and oceans critic introduced a private member's bill Thursday in the House of Commons that would make the product's import illegal and prohibit any attempt to bring it into the country.

"If you want to get at shark finning, which is what many would understand as a very inhumane practice, then this [import ban] is one of the best ways to get at it," Donnelly said at a news conference in Ottawa.

Shark finning, which involves removing the fin from a living shark and then tossing its body back into the ocean to die, is already illegal in Canadian waters, but there is no law to prevent importation. However, some municipalities, including Toronto, have passed bylaws.

There have been calls on the federal government to implement a nationwide ban.

Shark fin soup, a traditional Chinese dish, is where demand for the product comes from, and Hong Kong is the country with the biggest appetite for shark fins, Donnelly said.

Canada is a small player on the world scene, importing around 77,000 kilograms of shark fins every year, he said.

"Canada can become a world leader in shark conservation and ocean stewardship by adopting legislation to protect sharks. Banning the trade of shark fin is our best hope at giving shark populations a chance to recover," he said.

Several species threatened

The trade is threatening a number of shark species and some will be at risk of extinction before the decade is over, he said. Between 26 million and 73 million shark fins are traded annually and shark populations simply can't recover because they are slow to reproduce, the British Columbia MP said.

The private member's bill seeks to amend the Fish Inspection Act and penalties would be administered under that law. If it succeeds and a ban is implemented, those in violation could face jail time or a fine of up to $100,000.

Donnelly said he consulted with various groups across the country about his bill, including Chinese business associations, and he launched a petition that has so far collected more than 3,000 signatures. He said the NDP has wide public support for the proposed ban and he hopes to find the same backing in the House of Commons.

He said he has been talking to Conservative MPs, some of whom have expressed interest in his bill.

"Whether they'll come out publicly and say that remains to be seen," he said.

Edited by - cambium on 12/08/2011 11:36 AM
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news today for sure Cambium. I went to the inaguration of Port Moody council the other night and got assurances from those elected that they are still keen. I am going to wait untill after holidays to bring this before council and remain optomistic we have the suppourt needed here to get a west coast community on the map as fin free. Hopefully this will encourage other communities to follow suit. A lawyer is even helping out to make sure we have all our angles covered when it is time to go.

Bikeguy
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  09:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Jeffster, really appreciated! I live in Port Moody and fully support the Sharkfin ban. Let me know if is anything I can do to help out. Lots of us out there.
ClubTread Supporter

Jeffster
Advanced Member

Port Moody, B.C
Canada

2217 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  8:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bikeguy

Great work Jeffster, really appreciated! I live in Port Moody and fully support the Sharkfin ban. Let me know if is anything I can do to help out. Lots of us out there.

Thanks,

I will post when we get a date for our delegation before council. (Hopefully January) The more people that show up and show suppourt the better. Some of the candidates that didn't get elected have said they want to come show suppourt for this as well.

Vertical_Trekker

West Coast, British Columbia
Canada

220 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People don't eat shark meat because it's very high in mercury. No one will buy it, so that's why the rest is thrown back in the ocean.

It's actually somewhat common to find imitation shark fins in restaurants, like imitation crab meat - except for the fact that they don't tell you that it's imitation shark fin. Maybe there should be a push for imitation shark fin in the market.

Let's not forget the slaughter of the now critically endangered basking sharks on the B.C. coast in the 50's by the federal fisheries.

http://fnfisheriescouncil.ca/index.php/fish-in-the-news-/1072-basking-sharks-now-endangered-oct-2510

If shark fin ever gets banned in Canada, we should also ban caviar too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7481555/Caviar-at-risk-as-appetite-threatens-sturgeon-extinction.html

A ban on bluefin tuna anyone?

Nope, it didn't go through for the United Nations ban, since Canada exports it.

Edited by - Vertical_Trekker on 01/07/2012 10:20 PM
Page: of 3 Topic  
Previous Page
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Conservation Corner Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam