Advanced Member

Powell River, bc
Canada

2749 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  7:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful,sad,scary :(

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

15034 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  7:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stunning.

It looks like those rivers seem to have evaporated into the air, more so than melting. Wonder if perhaps precipitation over time has diminished, and hence snow is not replinishing the ice.

It seems even in the first photos; the ice then already looked like it was showing signs of shrinkage through dehydration.

K

21thcenturyAlan

North Vancouver, British Columbia
Canada

122 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  8:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy shit! A photograph that was taken in 1921 doesn't look exactly the same as its' setting in 2011?

There may be 36,000 glaciers in the Himilayas but they certainly aren't all receeding. This guy is a photographer, not a scientist, and his way of being an environmental activist is so so wrong..

ICE MELTS (some times faster than it accumulates)

no quitting
Advanced Member

Powell River, bc
Canada

2749 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  8:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The implications are still the same no matter how or why it melted! Those people will still need water to drink,there wont be enough. It's still sad and scary,and the pics are still stunning and beautiful!

msulkers

Whistler, BC
Canada

1417 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  8:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This guy is a photographer, not a scientist, and his way of being an environmental activist is so so wrong..

And no geographer, or glaciologist, or scientist would dare use carefully documented photographs as data in their studies...

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  8:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The narrator asks the question..." what is the story of 2060 [ another 500 million people in china/india ]?

Another question can be asked about our simple actions that don't help , and more than likely exacerbate the melt-offs.

Today I noticed a contractor with with his large diesel on the side of the road texting , messaging.
Ever since the new cell-phone laws , it has been an undeniable fact that about 98 percent of observable compliers IDLE .

It can be unquestionably said that cellphones are now directly adding CO2 and nitrous oxides, other pollutants, to the atmosphere.

I stopped , shut off my car , and went over and pointed this out to this young guy , and he chuckled , thought it out , and turned it off.

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  9:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 21thcenturyAlan

Holy shit! A photograph that was taken in 1921 doesn't look exactly the same as its' setting in 2011?

There may be 36,000 glaciers in the Himilayas but they certainly aren't all receeding. This guy is a photographer, not a scientist, and his way of being an environmental activist is so so wrong..

True...in terms of information the guy is either extremely ignorant, or he is disingenuous and purposely trying to mislead.

Yes, you are right about the Himalayan glaciers....there is great controversy about whether they are retreating and to what extent...of course, once you start claiming they are retreating due to human caused global warming....ugh...you've lost all credibility.

Propaganda and rhetoric....no room for the truth.....stuff like this hurts us all, and is offensive to me as a thinking human being. Trying to use the masses like sheep...lying...

Edited by - DCIPHER on 10/12/2011 9:21 PM

TNJed

North Vancouver
178 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  9:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thanks for the link Zoran.

It would be neat to see a collection of similar photo comparisons from the Coast Mountains.

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  07:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first got to the Rockies, back in 1982, a ride up the tram at Jasper would show you every mountain in view with a permanent snowcap year-round. Now none of them have one.

Or go down and hike Wilcox Pass. The reason it's called a 'pass' is because up until the late 1800s it was the ONLY way to get past the Athabasca Glacier. Which is now vanishing up the opposite side of the valley.

90% of the glaciers in the Jasper and Banff have disappeared in the last twenty years, and anyone who goes there at all can attest to the fact that global climate change is very real.

Similar photos can be found in Europe of the Alps, and in the Andes of the glaciers there.

I'm always amazed that a bunch of ignorant, ill-informed, internet pundits (who obviously never go to the mountains) can spout out the standard energy company bullsh*t and expect it to be taken as fact.

But I notice that very few of the people doing so on this CT thread actually go hiking.

Steventy
Advanced Member

2062 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. If I had a million dollars I'd set up time lapse (one picture per day?) cameras at a lot of glaciers.

It doesn't really matter to me if the changes are natural or caused by humans. They are important changes in our world and not enough of the public really grasps how large and widespread these changes are.

Candy Sack
Intermediate Member

over the hills and far away
Canada

942 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DCIPHER

quote:

True...in terms of information the guy is either extremely ignorant, or he is disingenuous and purposely trying to mislead.

Yes, you are right about the Himalayan glaciers....there is great controversy about whether they are retreating and to what extent...of course, once you start claiming they are retreating due to human caused global warming....ugh...you've lost all credibility.

Propaganda and rhetoric....no room for the truth.....stuff like this hurts us all, and is offensive to me as a thinking human being. Trying to use the masses like sheep...lying...

Seemed pretty clear from the photos that there is glacial retreating happening, so I'm not sure what "controversy" you might be referring to in that regard. And since you were so offended by the lack of room for the truth, than please take the next post to enlighten us all about said truth. Can you note one specific lie in the video?

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1715 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just so everyone's on the same page about this, the controversy concerns a passage inserted into the IPCC 2007 report by the IPCC Asia division here:

http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg2/en/ch10s10-6-2.html

Note the prediction that the Himalayan glaciers will likely disappear by 2035.

Well, that was pretty much crap, and the IPCC got slammed for it immediately, till they had to retract the statement in 2010.

Also, the dependency of water supplies on the glaciers were overstated - it's monsoons that are the major drivers.

The Himalayan glaciers are receding, as you can clearly see in the pics, but there's so fricking hugemongous that it'll take much much longer time for them to disappear even at current rates retreat.

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1715 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The statement above neither proves or disproves climate change or global warming, for which there is currently a scientific consensus.

mrultralite
Intermediate Member

692 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  09:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats also striking is that they were already retreating in the early photos.

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1/ Glacier national park [ USA ] is poised to be renamed Glacierless National park.

2/ Fact , a new terminology has sproated for the Greenland ice-caps , a long convoluted word that essentially translates into " sooty black Diesel Matter " that deposits itself across the poles , in molecular sizes , by the uncountable trillions , that stems from all diesels operating across the Globe , it gloms onto other like-molecules and captures heat/sunlight, melts the caps , and grows into larger clumps and accelerates meltoff. [ not to mention the toxic effect ]

This is undeniable scientific recording and measurement , pollutants all derived from diesels.

One of my local "Parks " operates a Diesel generator 365 days a year , despite the fact that a natural gas line sits under the generator site.

One thing to be in " denial " another thing to be ignorant and obtuse and in denial and in $ profit-mode only.

nmcan84

in da bush, alberta
Canada

1074 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cambium

1/ Glacier national park [ USA ] is poised to be renamed Glacierless National park.

i plan on being forever known as "the man who stole glacier national park's last remaining glacier"

when it has melted down to almost nothing,i am going to hike on over,pick it up and wander off with it in my arms.

dshugar

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada

392 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

21thcenturyAlan, you are correct that not all glaciers in the Himalayas are melting. That statement holds true for every mountain range on earth. However, the vast majority are receding and downwasting. And that goes for most other glaciers on Earth. And Dcipher, there is absolutely no controversy about whether the Himalayan glaciers are melting. The IPCC 2035 bungle was just that - a typo (it was supposed to have read 2350) but had major political repercussions and was embarrassing for the glaciological community. There is no controversy in the scientific community as to whether they are melting rapidly.

Oh, and for the record, I am a photographer. And a scientist.

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3750 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  1:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dshugar

Oh, and for the record, I am a photographer. And a scientist.

A scientist? Oh, my god, don't you know that science can't be trusted??? All scientists are self-serving lunatics with hidden agendas and are part of a conspiracy to destroy the world through misinformation!!

Next thing you know you'll try to say there are non-magical reasons why magnets work!!

tu

Burnaby, BC
Canada

1715 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  1:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2350 is crap too. There's no way anyone can come up with such a specific timeline with any confidence that it's accurate.

There is no scientific consensus on how fast the Himalayan glaciers will melt out.

There is a scientific consensus on climate change and global warming.

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  1:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tu

The 2350 is crap too. There's no way anyone can come up with such a specific timeline with any confidence that it's accurate.

There is no scientific consensus on how fast the Himalayan glaciers will melt out.

There is a scientific consensus on climate change and global warming.

So why not , as an " intellegent " species we take some responsibility for this and err on the side of caution , and plan for our - their grandchildren's children ?
Page: of 4 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Mountaineering, Scrambling, and Climbing Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam