BioLite Stove
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

corn_dog

Squamish
Canada

148 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  9:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Any one have any other info on this product? Seems like a cool idea.

http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Dan

Steventy
Advanced Member

2044 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  9:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any info on the specific product but I understand the underlying technologies and it looks like an awesome idea. I can't wait to see the pricing/availability info next spring.

I doubt I would use the charging capabilities very much. 1 Watt for the duration of time that I am cooking dinner doesn't amount to much energy. I'd be happy if they dropped that feature to make it lighter.

If I had access to a workshop I'd be very tempted to make my own.

ClubTread Supporter

Hiker Boy
Advanced Member

opinionated-stove huggin'-fleece wearin'-arse burnin' hill virgin

Here
Canada

4667 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great idea for a basecamp or home in the third world. As a person who uses a wood burning stove occasionally on some camping trips, I think the size and weight of even the backpacking model of the Biolite is prohibitive. It would be lighter to carry a lwt solar charger or even a Minty Boost with a regular stove.

mrultralite
Intermediate Member

688 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too heavy for me ,but what a wonderfull piece of technology!@

Steventy
Advanced Member

2044 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiker Boy

Looks like a great idea for a basecamp or home in the third world. As a person who uses a wood burning stove occasionally on some camping trips, I think the size and weight of even the backpacking model of the Biolite is prohibitive. It would be lighter to carry a lwt solar charger or even a Minty Boost with a regular stove.

I think the main advantage isn't the charging functionality, but the built-in fan that is powered by thermoelectrics using the heat of the fire.

Based on your experience with wood burning stoves, would that make a big difference?

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3744 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  1:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fan makes a HUGE difference in mini-wood-stove operation. This would be a super ultra-long distance tool where the majority of your cooking weight is fuel.
ClubTread Supporter

Hiker Boy
Advanced Member

opinionated-stove huggin'-fleece wearin'-arse burnin' hill virgin

Here
Canada

4667 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  1:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fan is pretty significant to wood stove operation but the Biolite is 10oz heavier that the Sierra Zip. That's a lot of AA batteries worth of difference ~11 batteries worth...as johngenx says, it may pay off over very long trips but not over the short term.

Cherry Pirate

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  1:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://biolitestove.com/CampStove.html

Taking pre-orders now. 2 lbs is a fair bit of weight for a stove, I must say. Price is decent at $129. The notion of the charger is appealing for cycle touring. I would like to know what kind of energy it is actually producing, though.
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7500 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  9:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While checking out this weeks hot tech gadgets I seen the first one on the list is this Biolite Stove:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2012/02/08/tech-toys-hottest-gadgets-week/?intcmp=trending#slide=1

Cherry Pirate

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  9:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

While checking out this weeks hot tech gadgets I seen the first one on the list is this Biolite Stove:

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2012/02/08/tech-toys-hottest-gadgets-week/?intcmp=trending#slide=1

But still no detail on charge times. Which is the only way I could justify that weight. When I'm cycle touring it'd be worth it to me to use it as stove if I could keep a phone relatively charged.

Steventy
Advanced Member

2044 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry Pirate

quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

But still no detail on charge times. Which is the only way I could justify that weight. When I'm cycle touring it'd be worth it to me to use it as stove if I could keep a phone relatively charged.

You'd probably be better off with some type of a dynamo device.
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  2:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couldn't find power output

Powers all USB-chargeable devices including smartphones, LED lights, GPS and many others.
• Fast to boil.
• Lights quickly and easily.
• Burns sticks, pine cones, pellets and other biomass.
• Folds for easy packing.
• Packed size: 8.25 x 5".
• Weight: 2 Lbs 1 oz / 935 grams.

wildtrekker

485 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  12:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eff that, I have a love/hate for technology, and specifically do NOT take electronics to the bush. Totally defeats the purpose. If you're taking the phone into the bush...stay in the city where they Belong.

Cherry Pirate

Maple Ridge, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  01:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildtrekker

Eff that, I have a love/hate for technology, and specifically do NOT take electronics to the bush. Totally defeats the purpose. If you're taking the phone into the bush...stay in the city where they Belong.

Naturally, but on cycle touring, which is rarely done in the bush, they serve a variety of very practical purposes in one device (presuming you have a smart phone).

Steventy - I have looked into other devices, I just thought it would be nice to have a combo stove and charger to save bulk and weight.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam