Pyramid Mountain
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
963 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I went up Pyramid Mountain on 21 June and posted a brief condition report. Lobo and a few other ClubTread-ers encouraged me to post a full trip report but I was too busy with other things. This evening I've finally found time to go through a few hundred photos that I had taken to select the best ones and to stitch a few panoramic shots.

Classic view of Pyramid Mountain from Disaster Point

I started very early to take sunrise photos of Patiricia and Pyramid Lakes:

The sky soon got shrouded in clouds despite sunny weather forecast. When I reached the end of the 12km BORING fire road, intermittent rain started. A little bit disappointed I decided to proceed nevertheless. There was no trail but the route up was obvious. The rain stopped shortly before I reached the summit but the sky was mostly covered in clouds, especially in the west.

Views from the top were nice but they are surely better on a sunny day. Pyramid and Patricia Lakes vied the most attention:

I was intrigued to see Victoria Cross Range mountains up close and study possible access routes into the area:

I stayed almost two hours on the summit in vain to see the clouds dissipate. As it often happens, the weather dramatically improved and the sun finally came out only when I was on the way down.

All in all, Pyramid Mountain is a worthwhile objective if you've done other scrambles in the area. It wouldn't be my first choice, but such a majestic mountain deserves at least one visit. Bring a bicycle. You will regret if you don't.

Edited by - Engor on 07/11/2011 02:04 AM

leimrod

Squamish, British Columbia
Canada

1346 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the TR. Many years ago when I first visited Canada in 2000 I lived near this mountain for 6 months and never went up it. I've only really started hiking in the last year and a bit since I've moved to Canada permanently.

It's great to finally see what this mountain looks like up close. It's one of the many mountains in and around Jasper that I mean to get back to and summit in the future.

ClubTread Supporter

darrenbell
Advanced Member

Penhold, Alberta
Canada

2187 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up there in the early /90's and the gondola and buildings were still there . Neat to see the views once again through your pics. Thanks for posting.

lobo

Jasper, ab
Canada

1077 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent pictures Engor. Not too many people summit Pyramid so early in the year. Well done

DeNomad

Edmonton, AB
Canada

63 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice pics Engor! Thanks for sharing.

I have heard of the Victoria Cross Traverse starting from Pyramid Mountain and it sounds quite interesting but I am not finding to much information on it. I know Lobo mentioned some of his friends did it in his TR "Elysium Pass, Jasper- Sept. 2, '09". Do either of you have anymore info on it?

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
963 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for nice comments.

DeNomad: This trip report is the only one I've found on-line on the area. The route that the poster took seems to be the shortest access route possible but not the most pleasant one:
http://explorejasper.com/sights/Kerr_Lakes.htm

sparkes

calgary, ab
Canada

166 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  4:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow is all i got to say, great shots man!!

ian779

Grande Prairie, AB
Canada

165 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  8:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful sunrise photos - well worth the early start!

I had the Victoria Cross traverse route described to me a couple years ago by someone who had previously done the route. It sounded like the best route would be to traverse over Pyramid and the small sub-peak to the Southwest (5866250N, 421500E) before bypassing Cairngorm to the South on a lower bench. From there you would climb back up and the lakes to the East or West of Mount Kerr would offer a decent camp. I believe that the predominate ridge was then followed West from Mount Henry before descending into the drainage North of Emigrants Mountain and into Elysium Pass. This information is from memory so do not fully rely on it. With the ability to route-find, it sounded like there was no technical climbing involved. The route would take at least 2 nights, but very possibly three if travel was slower or adverse conditions encountered.

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
963 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ian779: Thanks a lot! I was thinking about a route that closely correspond to the one that you described. It's best to drop from Pyramid Mountain ridge down to a tributary of Snake Indian River(photo 1), camping beside an unnamed tarn west of Pyramid Mountain (photo 2). On the next day it's better to bypass Caingorn Mountain to the south (photo 2. Red line).

According to GemTrek map it looks possible to traverse over a col between Mount Kinross and unnamed peak (photo 2. Blue line), although much to my regret I was not able to see this route completely from Pyramid Mountain.

Edited by - Engor on 07/11/2011 10:55 PM

ian779

Grande Prairie, AB
Canada

165 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  7:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bypassing the Pyramid summit like you describe would certainly save a bit of time and energy. That tarn West of Pyramid would be a better destination for the first night as the Mount Kerr lakes always seemed a bit far. The person who described the route to me works for Parks safety and admittedly was able to get a lift to the base of Pyramid - saving the long fire road approach.

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

15026 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  7:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engor.

Astounding photography, thanks for taking the time to post these shots in your TR. Many of us will not see that area in person, and only can enjoy it through your camera and others.

K

DeNomad

Edmonton, AB
Canada

63 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian779

Bypassing the Pyramid summit like you describe would certainly save a bit of time and energy. That tarn West of Pyramid would be a better destination for the first night as the Mount Kerr lakes always seemed a bit far. The person who described the route to me works for Parks safety and admittedly was able to get a lift to the base of Pyramid - saving the long fire road approach.

Funny, a Parks Safety employee mentioned the Victoria Cross traverse to me as well! Bumped into him while climbing in Jasper. I don't think I will be able to skip the fire road though :P

Thank you for the info Ian & Engor! I will put it aside for future trip planning. I might attempt the Victoria Cross traverse in August.

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
963 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  4:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeNomad
I might attempt the Victoria Cross traverse in August.

Post your photos when you do!

themadgaffler
Starting Member

virginia beach, Virginia
USA

32 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
outstanding photos thanks for posting
  Topic  
 All Forums > Trip Reports > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam