Author Topic  

in transit
Starting Member

canmore, ab
Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
this is the third time this has happened to me:

about an hour after a long or grueling hike i start shivering uncontrollably i end up wearing every piece of clothing i can find and i'm still shaking

yesterday i hiked for 10 hours by meal time i was wearing long pants, fleece and down sweater and still freezing--everyone else was in shorts and flip flops

i took a pain killer because i had a slight headache and when the pain killer kicked in the shivering stopped and i started getting very hot!

ClubTread Supporter

Matt

Langley, BC
Canada

1089 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is pretty normal after really hard physical exertion.

calmcoldmorning

red deer, alberta
Canada

168 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if someone was to touch your skin, would they say your skin was cold or normal?

"shivering uncontrollably" sounds like the onset of hypothermia.

I would look at what you are wearing to make sure your sweat is getting out and away from your body.
also you may try to wear less as you hiking and add clothes slowly when you stop so there isnt such a shock.

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

458 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try taking a second shirt to change into, keeping a sweaty shirt on when you stop moving will lower your body temp.
ClubTread Supporter

Kid Charlemagne

1336 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen exactly these symptoms before, and it was a blood/glucose issue. Of course, internet forum medical advice ain't worth jack. Consult a physician if you're concerned it may be more than a temperature management issue.

granolapher
Starting Member

coquitlam, BC
Canada

34 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're doing a gruelling hike the shivering could be attributable to a number of factors:

1.sweating a great deal- during the hike- could lead to an electrolyte imbalance(hyponatremia), Which can produce tremor.
2. Delayed response to the cold: physcial exertion produces heat (thermogenesis) which can maintain core temperature, and delay shivering, when you stop your body will compensate to maintain this internal temperature by shivering.
3. Evaporative heat loss due to cold/wet post hike clothing.

I've worked in desert conditions where people, after periods of intense activity became hypothermic in 30 degree weather.

You could try an electrolyte drink during you hiking, and a change of dry clothes immediatly after to see if it helps.

*Hypothermia is a drop of as little as 2 degrees from core temperature, meaning it's possible up to temperature's of 35 celsius to become hypothermic.

Edited by - granolapher on 07/19/2010 2:53 PM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  3:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Charlemagne

I've seen exactly these symptoms before, and it was a blood/glucose issue. Of course, internet forum medical advice ain't worth jack. Consult a physician if you're concerned it may be more than a temperature management issue.

I agree. My wife is a diabetic, and the symptoms could result from low blood sugar. But that's definitely for a doctor to decide.

One thing to consider is that if you're all doing the same amount of exercise and you're the only one getting cold, the symptoms are likely to result from the way your body is working and not external factors.

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  3:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try eating more to start and keeping your energy reserves high rather than letting them crash and start ruling things out from there....

quote:
i took a pain killer because i had a slight headache

The first thing I would look at when getting a headache from strenuous output is if you are drinking enough, and then if you are getting enough nurishment. Signs and symptoms of dehydration and hyponatremia are very similar and both can start off with a headache. It could also be heat related, which can be linked together with dehydration aswell. When I say heat related it can go both ways. Could be an after effect of being too hot also.

Edited by - time2clmb on 07/19/2010 4:04 PM

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  4:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
One thing to consider is that if you're all doing the same amount of exercise and you're the only one getting cold, the symptoms are likely to result from the way your body is working and not and or external factors.

Fixed it for you.
ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6062 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  4:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some have said, dry clothes after a long hard hike will help. Some people have to completely change their clothes after a hike. If dry clothes, something to replace your electrolytes and keeping well hydrated don't help then it's time to see the Doc. I know, we all hate going there but sometimes these things indicate an underlying illness.

time2clmb
Advanced Member

6302 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  4:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dry clothes probably won't do all that much if it's any of the above causes. Key words there being after a long or grueling hike.

quote:
by meal time i was wearing long pants, fleece and down sweater and still freezing--everyone else was in shorts and flip flops

...and to add, yes the dry clothes thing is obvious i'm not saying not to put on dry clothes.

Edited by - time2clmb on 07/19/2010 4:17 PM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2clmb

quote:
One thing to consider is that if you're all doing the same amount of exercise and you're the only one getting cold, the symptoms are likely to result from the way your body is working and not and/or external factors.

Fixed it for you.

It's not what I meant, but that's certainly possible.

mrultralite
Intermediate Member

685 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got this too, and i was dehydrated for sure. I would like to see a definative explanation.

Bolt Ladder
Starting Member

Vancouver
Canada

45 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I experienced similar symptoms after running a marathon once. Not everyone's body react the same way to grueling exercise -- maybe you are thinner and have lower body fat than the other people around you? Or maybe something else...

In my case, a change of clothes is a must but may not always be enough, even with warmer clothes on. Try drinking and snacking a bit more while you exercise and, if possible, try having a hot sweet drink as soon as you're back in camp. You'll probably notice a big difference; if not, you may want to talk to your doctor (not a bad thing to do at any rate).

Lupin

Ladner, BC
Canada

1200 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

you're in Canmore so are you also getting some big elevation changes on these long hikes? It takes me about an hour before I start getting the "headache". So for day trips sometimes i'm back down before feeling the effects too. Eating/drinking well beforehand may help in many cases.

(i have had the same after a marathon too. One of the reasons why they provide space or plastic blankets to all and lot's of food. )

mrultralite
Intermediate Member

685 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should apologize for my dumb post above. Of course ,if you are running about throwing off exercise generated heat, when you stop, body temp will drop. The odd thing though, mine dropped even though i got into my sleeping bag straight away after eating. 2hrs later i was sweating.

mrultralite
Intermediate Member

685 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A related topic, I get very tired the day after a good hike,[ not so tired i can't move, but still that sort of run down feeling] like an adrenaline shortage. Food & sleep don't help much, neither does getting older i guess. I think if i asked a doctor he would say 'you've been exercising what do you expect?'. Could this be an after effect of dehydration?

in transit
Starting Member

canmore, ab
Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got in my sleeping bag to help warm me up and i could feel my body heat radiating back to me--my skin could feel the heat coming off my sleeping bag but i was still shivering and i felt frozen

re wet clothes i wear layers hiking and strip down as i heat up, i get a little sweaty but not much

re altitude yes at one point i did hit close to 8000 feet but i haven't heard of altitude affecting body temperature

ps i found a runners web site and there were quite a few runners complaining of the same symptoms

keadyn
Intermediate Member

surrey
Canada

693 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  4:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dehydration is where I would put my money. Try to get close to 2L of water an hour, and see if that helps.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Hiking and Backpacking Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam