Alberta
 Overnight Temperatures - Mt Assiniboine Area
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Clockwerkz
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  9:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I'm looking for some advice on what overnight temperatures we might expect in the Sunshine - Mt. Assiniboine area at the end of July. Wondering if a bag rated to about -2c would normally be adequate?

Thanks!

Peakbagger13

Calgary, Alberta
Canada

123 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be there for the Aug long weekend. I'm bringing my MEC Raven which is rated to about - 7. If it's not good enough I'll have to find someone to curl up with

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  08:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's over 2 weeks away for crying out loud. What's with all of these "what will the weather or temperature be like in 2 or 3 weeks" threads?? Let me get my crystal ball. It's the rockies, it could be anything.

billk

Calgary
174 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expect -5C to + 10C. It can snow but that is unusual in late july.

Check http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sunshine for 6 day forecast freezing level before you go.

brilang

Abbotsford, BC
Canada

217 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canadian Rockies rule of thumb: Expect snow on every trip. Then if it doesn't, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Seriously though, expect snow on every trip. The Rockies are very unpredictable. I've carried a -7C bag for years and been fine though. -2C bag might be OK if you're a warm sleeper. Or you could just put on extra layers while you sleep. If you're cold and not wearing all the clothing you brought with you, then you have no right to complain. :) I've had August long weekends with +30C temperatures and no clouds (2003) and others where it snowed heavily (don't remember which year).

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  2:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot depends on the rest of your gear, too. I've been in the mountains the last couple of weekends, and I've brought my 0° synthetic bag and I've been too warm. However, I've also been camping at lower altitudes, and sharing a small tent with a full fly which warms up pretty quickly and seems to stay warm.

Brilang's right, though. Expect anything, even snow. If I was car camping, I'd have a -10°
down bag in the vehicle, and if I was going backcountry for longer than a day or two, I'd carry it instead of the 0°C bag. The weight's about the same for mine, so the only real difference is the insulating values if the bag gets wet.

Clockwerkz
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  6:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for letting me know what bags you normally use in the area. I'll bring the same stuff I typically use in summer above treeline here in Yukon. A -2c bag and extra layers of clothing are usually good even when it snows.

Thanks

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  3:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billk

Expect -5C to + 10C. It can snow but that is unusual in late july.

Ooops! 6" of fresh snow in Jasper this morning!

billk

Calgary
174 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  07:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a lot of snow on the ground for Jasper given that low of elevation!

Yeah - it can snow on any given day in the summer in the rockies. We were at Aster lake one Aug 1 long weekend day and got almost a foot of snow so be prepared.

jeffs78

322 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  2:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I discovered a thin layer of ice had formed overnight on my 1L Nalgene bottle when I awoke in the morning when staying at the Og Lake Campground late July of 2008. I had a "generously rated" -5 celius bag (more like 0 degrees) and I was freezing that night, had to put on all my clothes that night and was still cold. Magog Campground the next two nights was much warmer and more pleasant. So, you never know.

Edited by - jeffs78 on 07/17/2010 2:13 PM

Tatonka
Intermediate Member

Vancouver, BC
Canada

718 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  5:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A rule of thumbs Clockwerkz, up the alpine, even during summer peak season in the Rockies, bring the warmest bag you can, you'll never know what might happen and you will be glad if it does. I have 3 bags for different areas: -10C / -7c / 0c and a fleece liner to add 5c of warmth as a back up measure if needed. At sea level during summer months: 0c is ok. Higher up you go, you have to adapt the rating factor.

Edited by - Tatonka on 07/17/2010 6:01 PM

Tatonka
Intermediate Member

Vancouver, BC
Canada

718 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  5:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should mention, usually, at sea level, the temperature would most likely be as predicted, either raining or sunny. The higher you hike, the changes increase with variations of temperature and weather patterns.

Have a good summer!

Edited by - Tatonka on 07/17/2010 6:18 PM
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam