Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 3

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

479 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  5:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
So I've had this pack sitting in my closet since the day I bought it about 2 years ago, I've forgotten about it many times and the g/f has been on my case to do something about it so I took it back to MEC to see what they could do for me. Turns out, they gave me a full credit! I've been impressed with MEC even before this, but this cements me as a life-long customer.

Ryan Conroy

Say Nuth Khaw Yum, British Columbia
Canada

418 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  6:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey

So I've had this pack sitting in my closet since the day I bought it about 2 years ago, I've forgotten about it many times and the g/f has been on my case to do something about it so I took it back to MEC to see what they could do for me. Turns out, they gave me a full credit! I've been impressed with MEC even before this, but this cements me as a life-long customer.

Yeah they are awesome for returns, even with missing packaging or if they won't be able to sell it for full price they always seem to take it back.

Then if there's something wrong with it they really hook the next person up. I just picked up a scratched Camp Corsa Nanotech axe there for $75. It was like new except for a scratch on the paint.

A lot of times you can get stuff there at the same price as US online retailers too. You won't hear any complaints about them from me.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1598 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  6:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Want to hear an even better MEC return story?

I had a pair of Fritschi AT bindings, that were about three years old, develop a crack in the toe mounting plate. I contacted MEC and ordered the replacement part. They sent me the upper toe unit, with no mounting plate. I replied with a photo of the damaged part and asked how one removes the toe pivot pin. The reply was that the pivot pin is fixed permanently at the factory and couldn't be fixed. I jokingly replied that if they couldn't provide the part, for me to fix it, or provide a shop that could fix it, then maybe they should replace it.

To my surprise MEC said "OK, we'll replace it, no charge". I then said that I was thinking of changing over to Dynafit bindings and asked if I could get a pair of them instead... "Yes" was the response. I thought I'd see how far this would go and said that since my Fritschi ski brakes & ski crampons wouldn't fit the new Dynafits, would they throw them it too? "Yes" was the reply!

This is where it really gets good... MEC then contacted me and said they had a pair of Dynafit bindings that had been used once and the plastic toe lever had a few scratches and if I would accept them, that they would give me back $140.! I said "you bet" and then bought a new pair of $700 skis from MEC and had them mount the Dynafit bindings on them. When I received my new bindings mounted on the new skis, the toe pieces were new, with no scratches!

Needless to say that I am a loyal member to MEC and have been a member for many years and have spent tens of thousands of dollars at MEC over the years and that may well be a factor in my more than fair treatment... I don't know. MEC does have one member, at least, that will be loyal and do most of their purchases through them... me!

Peter

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

479 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  7:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a crazy story Peter. By contrast, I used to work for Europe Bound about 12 years back, and the owner there would literally get into screaming matches with customers when they would bring back new & unused gear.

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  9:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find MEC floor staff to be hit and miss. Some are friendly and helpful (whether knowledgeable or not); others are the typical snotty kids type: unhelpful, condescending, obnoxious, (regardless of age)!

But the MEC return desk staff has never been anything but excellent, the few times I've returned things.

By far the time that impressed me most, was when I had bought some trek poles at Monods. The next day, on a mild scramble, one pole completely bent on the last segment. I had NOT been doing anything unusual, and I was a very disappointed.(this was in fact the first pole I've ever bent). When I arrived in Calgary a few days later, I called Monod's and inquired whether they could help me. I did not demand anything, I simply asked if there was a policy that could help me, or at the least, if I could buy a replacement bottom segment from them. The manager came on the line and told me no. Talk to Black Diamond. Nothing at all we can do. "Some people do stupid things. Like prop the poles in car doors, or try to put all their weight solely on one pole while doing something awkward." I laughed at the car door mention, but then she said "we don't know what you've been doing with them". (not in a very jovial manner) I don't mind if the store won't replace them, but this phrase(along with the anecdotes) annoyed me slightly, since their was the implication that *I* must have been doing something strange. I assured her, I knew what the general expectations of poles are, and I had not been using them in an unusual manner. But I was not going to get upset by this, so I simply asked if they might replace this last segment with one from another pole; I would pay for the part, and they could get the part from BD? (particularly helpful, since I don't live in Calgary or Banff, and so there was really no way I could get parts from BD until well after this trip, and I hoped to be using them over the next few weeks) Nope. OK, thanks.

A few days later, while at the MEC Calgary, I stopped by the desk there, explained the situation (to a guy I remember as fairly tall with glasses and curly hair), and asked if by some chance they had carried the same pole(I knew it wasn't in their current catalog), or might be able to get parts. "No, we don't carry that model...but hmm...maybe one of the segments from one our BD models will fit....do you have it with you?"

I went out to my car, got the pole, and off he merrily went. 15 min. later he emerged, announced that the BD parts hadn't fit, but that a segment from another old pole they had lying around had worked! We laughingly noted that the colors even matched roughly, and oddly enough, the way he had fitted it together, it is now both a snap lock AND a screw lock! Price: no charge.

Again, I hadn't even purchased it from them. Fantastic.

Edited by - DCIPHER on 05/07/2010 9:22 PM

Ryan Conroy

Say Nuth Khaw Yum, British Columbia
Canada

418 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  9:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prother

Want to hear an even better MEC return story?

Needless to say that I am a loyal member to MEC and have been a member for many years and have spent tens of thousands of dollars at MEC over the years and that may well be a factor in my more than fair treatment... I don't know. MEC does have one member, at least, that will be loyal and do most of their purchases through them... me!

Peter

That's the thing, treat people well and they will keep coming back again and again and again...

Treat them crap and they'll never set foot through the door again.
ClubTread Supporter

Kathryne
Intermediate Member

956 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  9:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had great service from MEC as well. I purchased a 3 ply goretex jacket from them back in the days when 3-ply was pretty new - '93 or so? Three years later, there was a small area near the cuff that seemed to be delaminating - the rest of the jacket was still in perfect condition except for the usual dirt from lots of use. I took it back to see what they could do about repairing it. Well, without me even asking, they replaced the jacket right away. I am a customer for life.

spicytuna

Canmore, AB
Canada

1251 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a crazy story Peter. By contrast, I used to work for Europe Bound about 12 years back, and the owner there would literally get into screaming matches with customers when they would bring back new & unused gear.

The one across from MEC on King Street? I remember that owner.

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

479 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, here in Van. They were on Dunsmuir at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by spicytuna
The one across from MEC on King Street? I remember that owner.

Edited by - spacemonkey on 05/07/2010 11:33 PM

Baddoc48
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
755 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter -

Perhaps with just a little bit spin you could have got yourself a like ticket too!

I had a really good experience with Black & Decker and have told the story many times. Too bad more companies don't do the right thing and reap the PR that money can't buy!

Happy Sliding,

G

Wilderness gal

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada

115 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  07:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I agree with you all that the customer service at MEC is outstanding and I as well purchase quite abit from them because of this. I had a down bag with a broken zipper and one of the staff fixed it no charge! I didn't buy the bag from them but he fixed it anyway! I just bought a Arc Teryx Altra pack from them and the guy told me that they will happily replace it or refund me the money if anything goes wrong with it in the life time of that pack. This made the shelling out of that kind of money a little easier knowing they will back it all the way and for years to come!

Jacqueline

the743
Intermediate Member

n van, bc
Canada

830 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a reassuring post to see... MEC obviously stands out in ways that are nearly impossible for other companies to match. I know that MEC starting to sell bikes is scaring and angering bike retailers (because MEC does not intentionally earn profit, thus are taxed less), but I don't mind much about that, because I still feel more comfortable shopping in a MEC environment than a bike environment--there are no bike jocks and I am not a bike jock. For real bike issues that are complicated, I would still go to a bike shop, but it wouldn't be my preference had I another option.

I guess I'm trying to say, I bet MEC will offer more services in the future--at least hopefully. It's something to look forward to..

platypus

Vancouver
159 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  9:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the743

This is a reassuring post to see... MEC obviously stands out in ways that are nearly impossible for other companies to match. I know that MEC starting to sell bikes is scaring and angering bike retailers (because MEC does not intentionally earn profit, thus are taxed less), but I don't mind much about that, because I still feel more comfortable shopping in a MEC environment than a bike environment--there are no bike jocks and I am not a bike jock. For real bike issues that are complicated, I would still go to a bike shop, but it wouldn't be my preference had I another option.

I guess I'm trying to say, I bet MEC will offer more services in the future--at least hopefully. It's something to look forward to..

Some of the bike techs in the Vancouver store are incredibly knowledgeable and have great aptitude with their work. It is still good to go to smaller boutique bike shops if you want really personalized service; but the quality of bike service at MEC shouldn't be lacking, as far as I have seen.

J Mace

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1173 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now I know why the prices keep going up

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J Mace

Sure, but you also know why we don't mind paying them!

When MEC brought in its 'rock-solid' guarantee, their returns actually went down, not up, so it looks like it paid off financially, too.

J Mace

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1173 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  3:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sure, but you also know why we don't mind paying them!

Speak for yourself, personally I dont agree with abusing the system

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

479 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  3:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's quite the blanket statement. Although I am sure that returns make up a % of the retail price, MEC is set up differently than most retailers in that they are not out for profit, so I can't see returns accounting for that much. Combine that with increase in production costs, and the exchange rate and there are many other factors that contribute to the price-tag of an item.

quote:
Originally posted by J Mace

edit: I am not condoning abusing the system, ie: using a piece of gear to the full extent of its life and then taking it back claiming it is faulty and getting it replaced. But the examples here do seem to fall under the normal run of the mill customer service.

Edited by - spacemonkey on 05/10/2010 3:22 PM

alexcanuck
Intermediate Member

937 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  3:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 4 season old lightning ascent snowshoes cracked the mounting attachment point on the frame (not the replaceable mount part, the frame of the shoe). Parts not available, repair not feasible to them, so they offered a very generous credit. I'd had a lot of use out of them, I didn't feel right about taking the credit so I made my own repair. I work with metal in my job, and have a good shop so it was easy enough and worked out well, but I was blown away with the offer.

I felt the offer was too generous, and would count as abusing the system, the equipment had obviously had a LOT of use, so I didn't take it. If they had a simpler solution available at a reasonable cost to the store or to me I would have, but they didn't as the design had changed and MSR wouldn't help.

I don't like the idea of my purchase price including warranty stuff that is unreasonable like a 75% credit after 4 full seasons of hard use. If you let people abuse the system all too many will. Gear DOES wear out, after all.
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  4:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sure I purchased something that MEC didn't carry from Europe B. And I asked what the return policy was and wow.. what a shocker.
MEC Rocks

quote:

ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  4:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you contact MSR directly they may repair, or replace your shoes.
give them a shout

quote:
Originally posted by alexcanuck

My 4 season old lightning ascent snowshoes cracked the mounting attachment point on the frame (not the replaceable mount part, the frame of the shoe). Parts not available, repair not feasible to them, so they offered a very generous credit. I'd had a lot of use out of them, I didn't feel right about taking the credit so I made my own repair. I work with metal in my job, and have a good shop so it was easy enough and worked out well, but I was blown away with the offer.

I felt the offer was too generous, and would count as abusing the system, the equipment had obviously had a LOT of use, so I didn't take it. If they had a simpler solution available at a reasonable cost to the store or to me I would have, but they didn't as the design had changed and MSR wouldn't help.

I don't like the idea of my purchase price including warranty stuff that is unreasonable like a 75% credit after 4 full seasons of hard use. If you let people abuse the system all too many will. Gear DOES wear out, after all.

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  7:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexcanuck

BIG kudos to you. I do feel some stories I've heard are way over the line. And I don't think there is any moral justification at all in arguments like: overall returns are down, that's why we pay MEC prices, or returns are a small percentage of cost. This doesn't absolve one's own personal responsibility in their particular cases.
Page: of 3 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam