WTB: Ice Axe, Shovel, Probe, trekking poles
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

weegit

Vancouver, BC
Canada

262 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  12:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
After dragging my feet for years and always borrowing these items, I'd love to pickup some or all of these items at a wonderfully kind price.

While I appreciate the priceless life-saving value they offer, I still cringe and find myself offended at the retail prices I see for these machine-formed hunks of metal.

If anyone has any of these items sitting around unused or outdated I'd be happy to entertain a deal.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1563 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a spare set of avalanche gear for sale. (in brackets) is year bought. $380 firm. I live in Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, so viewing might be a problem.

- Tracker Digital Beacon (04)
- Shovel, Back Country Access, D handle (06)
- Probe, G3, 3.2 M, anodized markings (06)

Peter

ChrisLink

Agassiz, BC
Canada

131 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_main.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396038596&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396038596&bmUID=1260374479682

for all your gear swappin needs!!

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prothers deal is wack. You can get a brand new tracker for $305, so for barely more than what he is selling for, you can get new unused gear, or a brand new tracker and used shovel / probe..

dshugar

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada

392 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm buying a new avy shovel, and will be selling my other one (voile brand) for maybe $25?
Dan
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real Cnd Superstore has a compact shovel under 20 bucks. Only down side is the shovel part is plastic. But it has a excellent design.. the handle is standard T with 2 pole extension with press in buttons. Where the great idea is the shovel has 2 angles the handle can go into it. One is for using the shovel the second is so the handle slides into the shovel. Just wish the shovel was metal as I have no idea what temperature the plastic can take before breaking. Surprizes me that none of the big names haven't come up with this great design. Well beyond the BlackDiamond style with the curved handle.

Just my .02

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by camshaft

Real Cnd Superstore has a compact shovel under 20 bucks. Only down side is the shovel part is plastic. But it has a excellent design.. the handle is standard T with 2 pole extension with press in buttons. Where the great idea is the shovel has 2 angles the handle can go into it. One is for using the shovel the second is so the handle slides into the shovel. Just wish the shovel was metal as I have no idea what temperature the plastic can take before breaking. Surprizes me that none of the big names haven't come up with this great design. Well beyond the BlackDiamond style with the curved handle.

Just my .02

If some one showed up to ski with me with a $20 Canadian Superstore brand plastic scooped shovel, I would either trade shovels with them, or send them home. My life is worth more than that to me and to cheap out like that shows a real lack of respect toward partners.

JBest

Vancouver, BC
58 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weegit, I have an ice axe I have been thinking of selling. It's a Black Diamond Raven, 65cm long. I've used it a few times, so there are scratches and whatnot. A steel headed ice axe doesn't really depreciate as much as other gear though.

I'm hoping for around $40, but make me an offer.

chr111s
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  1:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to jump in this thread too - only looking for an ice axe though
ClubTread Supporter

LeeL
Advanced Member

Extreme ski tourin, mountain bikin addict who hikes at least once a year

2613 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  2:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by camshaft

Just my .02

A plastic shovel? They're crap. They break. Not to single you out but what's with offering advice when you don't know the subject matter?

Edited by - LeeL on 12/09/2009 2:09 PM
ClubTread Supporter

LeeL
Advanced Member

2613 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  9:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live close to Superstore and had to go get groceries anyway. Went and took a look at the shovel. That thing will not survive digging in avalanche debris. Sometimes there's good advice on this site and sometimes's there's bad. That was terrible advice

weegit

Vancouver, BC
Canada

262 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  9:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses.

I'm waiting to hear back on a shovel and axe, still looking for some used poles.

I personally wouldn't go with a plastic shovel unless I was with a group who were equipped with metal blades...I've spent a few winter camps with cheapo plastic shovels that simply broke up in the low temps.

Cheers Prother, I'm too poor to buy my own beacon at the moment.
ClubTread Supporter

LeeL
Advanced Member

2613 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  9:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
weegit - don't forget to look on Craigslist too. You can find decent inexpensive shovels there - I've seen aluminium voiles there for example.

Edited by - LeeL on 12/09/2009 9:59 PM

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1563 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2clmb

Prothers deal is wack. You can get a brand new tracker for $305, so for barely more than what he is selling for, you can get new unused gear, or a brand new tracker and used shovel / probe..

You would have to pay $487 plus taxes to buy this same gear from MEC. Sure you can get new gear cheaper, but not gear of this standard. So I'm offering this gear for about $130 less than new and that's "wack"? By the way, what does wack mean? My dictionary doesn't have a definition.

Peter

jd22

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada

1883 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. To be of low or dubious quality. Origin: comes from 'whacky', which evolved to 'whacked' or 'whacked out'. Eventually shortened to 'wack'. The 'h' is usually dropped to differentiate the meaning from 'whack', which is to hit something hard or, kill (old wise guy terminology).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wack

:P
ClubTread Supporter

Kid Charlemagne

1358 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year I scooped a brand new Ortovox F1 Focus at Robinson's for $100. It was old stock, and they wanted to get rid of it. Deals are out there, it's always worth popping into as many shops as possible, you never know what you'll find.

time2clmb
Advanced Member

6302 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prother

quote:
Originally posted by time2clmb

You would have to pay $487 plus taxes to buy this same gear from MEC. Sure you can get new gear cheaper, but not gear of this standard. So I'm offering this gear for about $130 less than new and that's "wack"? By the way, what does wack mean? My dictionary doesn't have a definition.

Peter

Oh your so smart Prother. Pointing out how wack isn't in any dictionary. *edit...I grow tired of these Clubtread shennanigans.

$305 for the same beacon and for $80 you can get a shovel and probe. Your models may be more expensive but they are used.

Edited by - time2clmb on 12/10/2009 07:44 AM

wbylsma

Okotoks, Alberta
Canada

326 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  1:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Main Entry: wack
Pronunciation: \'wakFunction: adjective
Etymology: probably alteration of wacky
Date: 1984
slang : not up to the mark : lousy, lame

Agree with T2C, wouldn't want to buy a second hand beacon since you might not know what's wrong with it and would never ever take somebody along with a $20 Canadian Tire shovel unless I could carry that and the other person can carry mine.

Buy new, buy good since it's your life insurance! If you don't want to spend the money than don't go out into avi terrain...

Blucruisin

in the valley, BC
Canada

1510 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  2:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wbylsma

Buy new, buy good since it's your life insurance! If you don't want to spend the money than don't go out into avi terrain...

Probably the best advice that can be given ever!
  Topic  
 All Forums > ClubTread Community > Gear for sale! ClubTread Buy and Sell Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam