Lodge
 The Lodge
 where to bring old TV
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

karmababy

299 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  3:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I have a 20 year old TV. It works but the color is gone. Are there schools or other places where they will take it to practice repairs? Encorp does not take it. I notice that a couple of places will take it if it's broken. I hate to dump it as it's not truly broken.

I feel terrible about this environmental problem but I took it from a friend who was going to dump it years ago.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

JBest

Vancouver, BC
58 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  3:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call the Recycling Council of BC's hotline and they will give you all the options. 604-RECYCLE if you are in the lower mainland. 1-800-667-4321 for the rest of BC.

In general, you won't find someone interested in a TV that old. The only likely option will be to get it recycled, which will be free as there is now a provincially mandated program in the province. Drop off locations are genearlly convenient, depending on where you live.

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  4:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.recycle.ubc.ca/ewaste.htm

Freegeek might take it

JBest

Vancouver, BC
58 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  5:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freegeek doesn't take TVs. Only computer related things.

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  5:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted the same question here a while back and was directed to this:

http://www.encorp.ca/locations

I went to the depot nearest me and they took my ancient TV. They would not take a VCR though. Seems that a VCR is next to impossible to get rid of responsibly.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1592 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  8:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karmababy

I have a 20 year old TV. It works but the color is gone. Are there schools or other places where they will take it to practice repairs? Encorp does not take it. I notice that a couple of places will take it if it's broken. I hate to dump it as it's not truly broken.

I feel terrible about this environmental problem but I took it from a friend who was going to dump it years ago.

If the colour doesn't work then it is truly broken.

PR

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  11:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prother

quote:

If the colour doesn't work then it is truly broken.

PR

===========================================================

...not necessarily true ; I once had a hitachi , the color went one-night, and since I was in the market for a new T.V. I gave the hitachi to a friend.
She took it to a local repair store, and for about 60 or 80 dollars of a part and labour the t.v. worked great again. 80 dollars for a 600 dollar t.v. Not bad.
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  2:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/zip/

And wait for someone to come get it

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

14944 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a TV that is about 30 to 35 years old, has the old fashion twist knobs. And has the original console heavy solid wood frame. It is fully functional in its original form. I think it might have value as a working antique. Of course its colour screen is not as sharp as the modern ones today.

It is very heavy, needs two men to carry it....

K
ClubTread Supporter

ChuckLW
Advanced Member

Night owl posting,Subie driving, backpacking Dad who is perpetually trying to catch up to his kids on the trail.

Vancouver, BC
Canada

3142 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KARVITK

I got a TV that is about 30 to 35 years old, has the old fashion twist knobs. And has the original console heavy solid wood frame. It is fully functional in its original form. I think it might have value as a working antique. Of course its colour screen is not as sharp as the modern ones today.

It is very heavy, needs two men to carry it....

K

... or 2 women who can't be bothered to wait until the hockey game is over ...
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7333 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  9:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the Chilliwack Bottle depot takes electronics for recycling so perhaps your local recycling depot also takes TV's. I just dropped off a 20" flat screen TV at our bottle depot for recycling. Another option is the MCC store in Abbotsford (Clearbrook Road and South Fraser Way) where they accept TV's and have volunteerrs who fix these things and resell them for missions work, so if you are close-by, you could drop it off there.
ClubTread Supporter

haidabear
Intermediate Member

delta, bc
Canada

655 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be a road side ditch near where you live. Scope out the area during the day and return under cover of darkness and throw it into the ditch. No harm, as most older appliances and TVs are biodegradable. Alternate option is to visit www.findaditch.com and enter your postal code into the search browser. They will offer best ditches in your vicinity via Google map.

skeletalmachine

Delta, BC
Canada

215 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  1:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by haidabear

There must be a road side ditch near where you live. Scope out the area during the day and return under cover of darkness and throw it into the ditch. No harm, as most older appliances and TVs are biodegradable. Alternate option is to visit www.findaditch.com and enter your postal code into the search browser. They will offer best ditches in your vicinity via Google map.

Good suggestion!
I might add that overpasses are excellent places to dispose of televisions and microwaves.

mrraulduke

Nanaimo, bc
Canada

59 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  09:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not into a ditch.
everyone knows the best way to dispose of a tv is the Rock Star way .... send it flying out of a hotel window ( or rooftop, the higher the better! )

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  9:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not into a ditch, just back up into a field and drop it all [ look off to the left of center ]

karmababy

299 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

I went to the depot nearest me and they took my ancient TV. They would not take a VCR though. Seems that a VCR is next to impossible to get rid of responsibly.

Thanks, I checked and they will take my ancient TV. I hope they don't ship it to China or India or some other third world country.

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

14944 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Thanks, I checked and they will take my ancient TV. I hope they don't ship it to China or India or some other third world country.

Almost seems relatively modern... Old set I got was still working well last year. more than 30 years old.

K

cambium
Advanced Member

3022 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  4:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or dump it here, Seven[7] sets "hiding"......

smac

north van, bc
Canada

1058 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

don't forget to blast it with the shotgun a few times before you leave.

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

14944 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  6:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smac

quote:

don't forget to blast it with the shotgun a few times before you leave.

That's what happened to old Desktop computer monitors at a logging area near the south end of Stave Lake, east side. 5 km up the road from Mt. Benedict trailhead...

K
  Topic  
 All Forums > Lodge > The Lodge Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam