Mt Howard
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

wbylsma

Okotoks, Alberta
Canada

326 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  09:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Went out with Bill, Vern and Kelly and managed to get to the top of Mt. Howard in a snowstorm. 20 minutes after leaving the top the weather cleared and had good weather the rest of the trip. Nice long late season hike with good company.

Some of my pictures

All my pictures posted at http://canada4u.zenfolio.com/outings/summits/howard
Vern his trip report: http://www.explor8ion.com/vern/scrambles/howard/howard.html
Bill his trip report: http://www.billkerr.ca/gallery2/v/Howard09
Kelly his pictures: http://picasaweb.google.ca/corporateclimber/MtHoward#

Edited by - wbylsma on 11/18/2009 09:45 AM

jeffs78

333 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting your trip, Wietse. I was able to do Mt Howard at about the same time last year, (10 Nov 2008). With these shoulder season trips, I always enjoy comparing conditions from one year to the next. Judging by your photos, you had way more snow than our group experienced last year. Proof that more snow has come down this time of year.

It is too bad you had to experience a snowstorm on the way up but glad it cleared up nicely for your group. Our group was able to enjoy good conditions. Of course the cold was a factor. The wind was mild but I'd have to check my notes. I thought the optional descent along the ridge was excellent. Overall, a great amount of ridgewalking with good views of surrounding mountains. This trip is an excellent late season objective. My one disappointment from my Mt Howard trip was my camera lost battery power just before reaching the summit.

So I thought it would be neat to post a couple photos at close to the same spot as you just to compare the difference in conditions. Anywho, congratulations on a successful day out!

mtnview

Calgary, Alberta
337 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wietse,

How far is the runout on that slope that Vern and Bill? are traversing. Is that the one near the false summit?

Regards
Allan A
http://www.geocities.com/truedino

billk

Calgary
183 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan - that slope is just below the false summit and it does have a longer runout.
The snow was good for step kicking there and felt okay. It was not necessary to do that sideslope, didn't save any time and I would recommend that people just stick to the ridge as we did on the way down. The only shortcut that was worth it was the previous ridge high point that had an established trail on the west side on the way up.

Edited by - billk on 11/19/2009 10:30 AM

mtnview

Calgary, Alberta
337 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,

I was thinking that spot might be hard and icy by now with all the weird weather going on.

Best regards
Allan A

Edited by - mtnview on 11/19/2009 11:50 AM

ClaytonA
Starting Member

Calgary
22 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually also attempted Mt Howard last Sunday (appreciated the tracks), and there was a good hard crust on top then. Anywhere susceptible to being wind affected was scoured free. Looked like the temps had risen enough that any of the new snow (from Nov 11) not blown away had melted below ~2200m. So on the lee slopes of the second last highpoint for example, there was a double crust with facets/goblets. We started across it noticing the foot steps since the consequences appeared relatively low, and with the crust we personally felt it was solid. Too much work cutting steps though, so we went back to the wind and ridge. The crust was hard, but not hard enough that self arresting was any problem when you get your weight up and push the axe in. On other spots along the descent ridge on the way back we got up a fair bit of speed very quickly.
Personally I'd say the mountain was still in good condition (except for the wind - interesting to compare one's experience to Nakiska ridge top data).

EEOW was bare on Saturday via the SW slopes.

C

ClaytonA
Starting Member

Calgary
22 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: We were cutting steps through both crusts. The second one was about 150mm below the first.

C

vern.dewit
Intermediate Member

Calgary, Alberta
Canada

929 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  2:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mtnview

How far is the runout on that slope that Vern and Bill? are traversing. Is that the one near the false summit?

Hey Allen, that would be Bill and KELLY. Although I do like Kelly's jacket... ;-)

V.

mtnview

Calgary, Alberta
337 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  5:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! Sorry Vern. Should have known, no orange anywhere. :)
  Topic  
 All Forums > Trip Reports > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam