Snowshoe Weight limits
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

TESKELLY

Abbotsford, British Columbia
Canada

112 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  9:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Quick Question. I have been thinking of going snowshoeing for the first time perhaps this season. I am in the region of 265-275lbs. Is there a rating for these shoes? Can anyone suggest a beginner pair but that I won't snap in two so to speak :)

weedWhacker
Intermediate Member

Vancouver, BC
Canada

886 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  9:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to rent a few pairs and see what you like. That way if they break, it is someone else's problem.

I have never broken metal snowshoes but I have destroyed lots of wood ones. My experience is that the length of the snowshoe is the critical factor. A longer snowshoe can get suspended between two logs, or between the banks of a creek and that causes the break. I weigh about 100 kg and I often carry a heavy pack in the winter.

In my opinion the 25" MSR lightning ascent's are the best (and most expensive) solution.

Scorpio

North Vancouver
234 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  12:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
25" might be ok in the hard stuff, but anything less than 30" you'll sink like a rock in soft snow.
ClubTread Supporter

Kid Charlemagne

1358 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the MSR Denali's with the long tails when I'm under full load, about 280lbs. A bit more float would be nice, but a larger snowshoe just isn't practical.

Baddoc48
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
755 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2009 :  08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tes....

I'm with Weed-W rent different brands but I suspect 30" might work best overall (fluffy new snow as well as crusty old stuff)

Have fun. - G

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the snowshoes I checked out had load ratings attached. Denali has ratings cross-referenced for different kinds of snow as well as varying body weights. Using them for an example, the maximum they show for deep, soft snow when breaking trail is the standard 22" snowshoe plus an 8" tail. They're also only 8" wide, as compared to others that run 9", 10" or even more.

If you're over 200 lbs, with pack, I'd also look at strength and the width of your stride.

My biggest concern when shopping for snowshoes was whether they would flip snow up my backside! A lot of the more expensive brands, like Atlas, seem to have that problem.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Snowshoeing and Backcountry Skiing Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam