MEC vs North Face vs mountain hardware Tents
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  2:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Hey guys...

I'm looking for some direction on a tent purchase..
One of my biggest issues is the tent floor..
Nylon vs polyurethane ???

Just my natural pick would be the MEC Polyerethane as it seems thick, tuff and waterproof. Even to the point a footprint isn't required.

I had a company that sells north face and mountain hardware say that the polyerethane floor pan is a cheap system. And that its heavy and not as durable as nylon and the reason north face and M.hardware don't use it. Is this true ??????

Can any one help me with this ? some personal experience with the two ?

thanks in advance

MEC uses a
Floor is made of our HT-Seal210-count, 70-denier polyurethane-coated nylon taffeta waterproof to 10,000mm.

North Face,
70D 190T nylon taffeta with 5000 mm PU coating

Mountian hardware
Tent Floor 70D Nylon Taffeta 3000mm PU

Mike Valhalla
Intermediate Member

Nanaimo, BC
Canada

556 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  2:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Marmot, Mountain Hardwear and MSR Tents. All rated around 1500 to 3000mm and all Waterproof. The Marmot is 10 years old and the floor is in mint condition I have never used a footprint with it and it keeps the rain out. My MSR is 4 years old and hiked the Juan de Fuca in 3 days of straight rain in April an no problem.

TNF and Mountain Hardwear both use Polyurethane that's what PU is.

Polyurethane is a balancing act not enough and it does'nt work to much and it actually will start to break down the fabric.

swebster

New Westminster, BC
Canada

1370 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  3:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Mike points out, your question makes not much sense, since they all use a polyurethane coated nylon floor. The difference is in how thick the polyurethane is. MEC's is thicker and heavier. It might be more durable, but the other floors also seem to last a long time, especially if you are nice to them. I wouldn't likely base my tent decision on the floor.

time2clmb
Advanced Member

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

6302 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  3:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is that I have been using a North Face tent for about 10 years on some pretty rough ground, without a footprint and it is as bomb proof now as it ever was.
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  4:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pointing that out swebster.

I was just confused from the sales person pushing the product they sold. As he was saying that PU floor pan is cheap and nylon is better. LOL Now when you guys have pointed it out they all are nylon with PU coating. Just the thickness changes between them.

ARG salesmen !

Thanks guys..

MEC uses a
10,000mm.
North Face,
5000 mm PU coating
Mountian hardware
3000mm PU

quote:
Originally posted by swebster

Yes, as Mike points out, your question makes not much sense, since they all use a polyurethane coated nylon floor. The difference is in how thick the polyurethane is. MEC's is thicker and heavier. It might be more durable, but the other floors also seem to last a long time, especially if you are nice to them. I wouldn't likely base my tent decision on the floor.

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  8:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of those numbers (10,000, 5,000, and 3,000mm) refer to the water pressure necessary to push water through the coating. However, in the real world, other factors like bends in the fabric can result in bleed-through even with less than actual pressure. In other words if you are laying on a 10,000 mm rated floor in a tent pitched in, say, a swamp, or on wet spring snow, in your sleeping bag and there's a pebble under your thermarest, (like the princess and the pea) you may get wet-through at that pressure point from body weight pressure.
ClubTread Supporter

ChuckLW
Advanced Member

Night owl posting,Subie driving, backpacking Dad who is perpetually trying to catch up to his kids on the trail.

Vancouver, BC
Canada

3142 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing to look out for is that, with the exception of MEC, the mm rating of tent floors varies within brands. For example, MSR used to use lower rated floors on its light weight offerings such as the pre-2009 Hubba line (5000mm) whereas their mountaineering tents like the Fury and their 2009 Hubba tents provide 10000mm floors.

Personally, I would generally use a foot print/ground sheet with any tent floor with a rating of 3000mm or less.

Edited by - ChuckLW on 09/21/2009 12:03 AM
ClubTread Supporter

camshaft

1456 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  3:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks ChuckLW

I went by MEC and looked at the tents again and my head is just in a spin.
The area I'm looking at is 2 person, 3 season, light to lightweight, main use hiking. Would like something as self standing as possible.

So for I would say the MEC Tarn2 is out as the floor area is to narrow for 2 people.
The MEC humming bird I have to look at the floor plan again but it was a 2 pole system. Not sure how self standing it is.

quote:
Originally posted by ChuckLW

Another thing to look out for is that, with the exception of MEC, the mm rating of tent floors varies withing brands. For example, MSR used to use lower rated floors on its light weight offerings such as the pre-2009 Hubba line (5000mm) whereas their mountaineering tents like the Fury and their 2009 Hubba tents provide 10000mm floors.

Personally, I would generally use a foot print/ground sheet with any tent floor with a rating of 3000mm or less.

swebster

New Westminster, BC
Canada

1370 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  3:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you won't go too far wrong with either an MSR Hubba Hubba or MEC Gemini? Neither is extraordinarily spacious though, but you want it light...

spacemonkey

Vancouver, BC
Canada

479 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  4:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey camshaft,

I went through the same process last year, took me a few months to finally settle in on a tent. the great thing about mec is that if you buy a tent, (or any piece of gear for that matter) they will take it back if it doesn't work for you. no questions. I took advantage of that last year when I bought a big agnes seedhouse tent. I loved how small it packed, but didn't like using it, as it tapered quite a bit at one end, a little too cozy for two people. I ended up taking it back and picking up the gemini, and I've been really happy with it.
The features I liked about it...
- 2 vestibules
- 2 entrances
- bathtub style floor
- lots of mesh paneling, great for breathability but I also really like that when you're in the tent it feels bigger because you can see through the mesh to the fly.

Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam