Alberta
 Pyramid Mountain
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Me and few friends were in Jasper this weekend, and of course we were eye-balling every mountain around there. The one that jumps out at you from the townsite (over a beer on a bar rooftop) is Pyramid Mountain.

In the trail guide, it says there is a trail partway up, but it only goes to the Palisades Lookout. Does anybody know if there's an actual hiking trail to the summit? Or does it turn into a scramble (which is what it looks like from the townsite) or an actual, real climb?

wbylsma

Okotoks, Alberta
Canada

326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a scramble. Route description is in Alan Kane his book but here are a couple of trip reports which might help

http://bobspirko.ca/Jasper/Pyramid/Pyramid.htm
http://www.freewebtown.com/ssbou/ssbou2007/pyramid.html

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3699 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  2:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did it years ago, and it's a real slog, and I wouldn't bother. The scrambling is not interesting, the views are okay, and the approach down the road is boring and long and tedious./

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  3:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johngenx

I did it years ago, and it's a real slog, and I wouldn't bother. The scrambling is not interesting, the views are okay, and the approach down the road is boring and long and tedious./

Sigh! But it's such a good-looking mountain....
ClubTread Supporter

darrenbell
Advanced Member

Penhold, Alberta
Canada

2146 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  4:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter... Take a mountain bike to the base where the old tram used to be and then the ride down will be more fun. I did this one years back as well and from the summit on a clear day you can see Mt. Robson.
Don't let Johngenx influence you too much, he's back teaching and loving every minute with his new group of students!!!

Rachelo
Advanced Member

Calgary, Alberta
Andorra

4083 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some mountains are worth slogging up just for the look back. Go for it anyways. :)

Boralis
Starting Member

Yellowknife/Jasper/Calgary, NT/AB
Canada

2 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will make my first post here a definite thumbs up for Pyramid Mountain as a worthy peak to bag. Like has been mentioned, take a bike to the old base of the now removed tram. It's about 11km's from the gate at the end of the Pyramid Lake road.

From the end of the road, the scrambling route is straight forward to the ridge, and the last stretch to the summit is fun on big, blocky talus.

The views behind Pyramid into the heart of the Victoria Cross range are nice, and now that the microwave repeater tower is gone from the summit, the views from the top are even better.

And the ride back to the gate is a blast.

Definitely worthwhile, especially as a "multi-sport" scramble.

jeffs78

321 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  6:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pyramid Mountain is worth the efforts. I would suggest using a bike on your approach. I am sure there would be places in Jasper townsite who could gladly rent you a bike and then from the townsite you could pedal to the trailhead. My experience was more pushing the bike up the trail / road but oh boy, was it one sweet ride coming down!!! I had to stop once in a while because my hands got sore from clutching the brakes so hard! I also thought the huge quartzite rocks leading up to the summit were fun to go over. I mean, nothing special but better than what most do in Jasper, i.e. the Whistlers Tram. Having done all of Kane's Jasper scrambles, the one mountain in Jasper that is my favourite in terms of views was Opal Peak. Just an easy walk up hike above the Opal Hills trail but gosh, the views were great! Roche Miette is a good scramble too. Anyways, enjoy your trips!

Edited by - jeffs78 on 09/11/2009 6:24 PM

peter1955
Advanced Member

2428 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffs78

the one mountain in Jasper that is my favourite in terms of views was Opal Peak. Just an easy walk up hike above the Opal Hills trail but gosh, the views were great! Roche Miette is a good scramble too. Anyways, enjoy your trips!

Heading for the Opal Hills on the weekend of the 25-27th. Looking forward to it.

jeffs78

321 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  8:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent choice. Here are some of my photos taken from Opal Peak in mid-September 2008. A great day, great trail, great mountain, great time! Enjoy your day. In stead of returning the same way off the summit (south that is), our group continued north down the ridge to a saddle on the north side of the peak where we spotted a couple goats. This did involve some careful footing on loose rock over slabs but nothing too bad and before long were reconected with the Opal Hills trail to finish the loop. Don't forget to bring a new summit register and book.

Edited by - jeffs78 on 09/14/2009 9:05 PM
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam