Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

toolbox

Courtenay, BC
Canada

181 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Hi All,

Looking for some beta on Raft Cove. How is the trail? Is there any fresh water? Any other info would be great.

TIA
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience with the trail involves caulk boots. I found them helpful.
A filter will be nice for the water as it is pretty tannic.

hikemike

Forbidden Plateau, BC
Canada

104 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  5:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey toolbox,

Was up that way in the spring, trail was dry and really fun, not a whole lot of time on dirt, mostly roots and logs it seemed. Trail head sign said give yourself 60 or 90 minutes, it took me 30 with a light pack, if i remember correctly it's only a km or so from parking lot to beach.

There's water in the river but like Dru says it was full of tannins and dark, also tidal so brackish quite far up river from beach.

When i was there, a little stream was flowing out of some rock near the trail head off the beach, i think it was 10 meters to the right side of trail head. That was choice water, still filtered it though. Its been so dry this summer so that could have disappeared by now. If your worried about having good water, maybe pack a bit extra in.

Its an awesome place out there, have fun!

Cheers,

M
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Vancouver Island Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam