Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

seeking
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
561 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I originally decided to go check out the propeller cairn and maybe do a bit of rock hounding. I was under some time restraints so set off as fast as I could.
Just after this sign I noticed the start of a new trail heading down into the right hand side of the bowl-

It's hard to control my curiosity so an internal argument started-new trail or propeller ?
but first I wanted to go to the memorial to check out the bowl. I could not believe what I saw at the memorial -

What kind of a person would build a fire pit complete with garbage, shotgun shells, melted bottles etc right next to a memorial? A complete lack of respect for the people that died there and their reletives, I cant imagine how a family member would feel if they came apon this. What a-holes! I had no way of packing this out so used the rocks from the firepit to bury the complete mess out of sight in the underbrush. I dug in my pack for some water and made another discovery- I had forgot to pack my lunch!
Looking down into the bowl the snow is quickly melting - wont be long before it's time to go exploring again. I checked out part of the trail that starts just to the left of the memorial that heads down there and it was fine.

Being lunch-less I decided to check out the new trail rather then continue to the propeller.
The trail is steep in spots but easy and comes out by a nice stream. I had to take my boots off to cross, that water is COLD!

After you cross the stream the trail continues for a bit but just after a log crossing the flagging stops and it's a real bush whack- I pushed through for about 10 mins but it was a lost cause so returned to the creek.

I cant wait to re-check this trail when it's completed. At the creek I ate my four power bars and a large bag of trail mix. I'll be craping pea nuts and raisins for weeks LOL (Sorry, my humour gets away from me sometimes).
I was on my last power bare when Janice(Kanike) and her friends Karen and Peter showed up, it was great seeing Janice again and meeting her friends, I hope I see you all again soon on the trails.

Take care but have fun, Ed

Edited by - seeking on 07/16/2009 09:14 AM
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  12:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing Seeking, weird why that trail has been cut, and I wonder by whom.
I can't believe someone would light a fire right beside the memorial plaque, that is total disregard, and disrespectful. Perhaps they are burning the wood from the trail cutting.

Hopefully nobody else lights fires there again.

KARVITK
Advanced Member

Happy go lucky, plaid wearin, postholin, safeway gaitor sportin, old-school film shootin, giver of many regards

Abbotsford, B.C.
Canada

14807 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed, looking for you to satisfy my curiousity when you revisit that new trail again. Unbelievable someone would shamefully disrespect this site in such a thoughtless manner.

K

Kanike

Chilliwack
1440 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ED, like your pics. I would have been very disturbed to arrive at the memorial plaque and come across the awful firepit in front of it. Thank you for your hard work in cleaning it up. Nice to see you and I'm sure we'll meet on the trails again and soon. (now I know your truck, I won't have to guess who's ahead of me on the trail).

Aces: I would also be curious to know who's been starting the new trail! Have you seen a few bears up Slesse? The only "wildlife" we saw was Ed. ;) A few grouse as well.

ClubTread Supporter

Mr. B
Intermediate Member

Popkum, B.C.
Canada

762 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Ed. Good on you for cleaning up! But you and everyone else shouldn't have to. Some people should not be allowed outdoors at all!!

Stu

susied

Powell River, BC
465 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can solve the new trail mystery. I was up at the Memorial a few weeks ago (no, not responsible for the fire pit ... it was there then), and we were talking to the guy who was cutting the trail. It is for mountaineering access - don't know the details, but apparently it will save a long long slog out on a logging road after climbing in a certain area on Slesse. No doubt the climbers on Clubtread will be able to explain exactly what it accesses.

hafilax

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1461 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like it might be the 'Crossover Descent' trail from the summit of Slesse. I strongly doubt that the guy who's working on it had anything to do with the mess.

susied

Powell River, BC
465 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it, crossover descent.

He was a super nice guy, I'm quite sure he was not the fire culprit.

Marduk

Port Douglas, BC
Canada

466 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was up to propeller cairn about 4 weeks ago, we saw the group that was camping there, 4 guys from Vancouver and one of them had a shotgun on his shoulder..along with some pots and pans...lol... after coming back down, myself and Sheena picked up a few shells, from what we saw scattered around, but obviously we missed some...ya, it was a mess...
ClubTread Supporter

Elkaholic

Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Canada

1187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work cleaning up the mess Ed, I don't like finding shotgun shells with their associated fire pits and beer cans. You can just picture the whole debacle - first we drink beer, then start fire, then shoot gun, we smart. I liked your update on Elk too, looks like you're in great shape

ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  1:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susied

I can solve the new trail mystery. I was up at the Memorial a few weeks ago (no, not responsible for the fire pit ... it was there then), and we were talking to the guy who was cutting the trail. It is for mountaineering access - don't know the details, but apparently it will save a long long slog out on a logging road after climbing in a certain area on Slesse. No doubt the climbers on Clubtread will be able to explain exactly what it accesses.

Wonder who he is, he isn't allowed to just go in there chopping down trees.
He must of been of some authority to be able to cut down trees there.

What type of tools was he using? Any machinery? Chainsaws?
Just one guy?
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  1:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kanike
Aces: I would also be curious to know who's been starting the new trail! Have you seen a few bears up Slesse? The only "wildlife" we saw was Ed. ;) A few grouse as well.

Almost everytime I've gone up there later in the year when the berries are ripe, on one side of the mountain has so many blueberries, but also loads of bear / blueberry scat. It looks like a litre of blueberry jam, here, there and everywhere. Never did see one bear yet, but I know they are there and big too, cougars there as well. Sure is worth the slog getting there though, it's my favourite mountain to visit.

seeking
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
561 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  5:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
susied - Thank you for solving the puzzle.
Marduk - It sounds like the people you saw are the idiots responsable for the mess. Thank you and Sheena for packing out the shotgun shells.
I'll go back maybe next week sometime and check the trail again, it might be hickable part way up the mountain and possably a quicker way into the far end of the bowl.
Take care but have fun, Ed

hafilax

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1461 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  6:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is roughly the Crossover Descent trail plan

take from here
http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamish_climbing_bb/viewtopic.php?t=2336
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  6:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A large area up there is protected, I'd be interested in knowing if the hacking down of trees is within the protected boundry. If it is within the protected boundry, it is a serious offence for him to be cutting any trees down in there. Either way I'm not too happy with what this fella did.

hafilax

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1461 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  7:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some reason I'm picturing Aces like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6082 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  7:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm happy that I didn't have to witness this mess first hand! Thanks for cleaning up after the pigs Ed. I almost barfed at the sight, shame!

susied

Powell River, BC
465 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not describe it as "hacking down of trees", more clearing a path through a bunch of scrub alder. It was done with hand tools, not a chain saw. Seeking's picture shows the very start of the trail just before it makes a rapid descent.

SureStep

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

302 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  11:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a great day, Ed! And it was great to finally meet you. I'm sure we'll spot you again on the trails soon, so watch yer back!
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by susied

I would not describe it as "hacking down of trees", more clearing a path through a bunch of scrub alder. It was done with hand tools, not a chain saw. Seeking's picture shows the very start of the trail just before it makes a rapid descent.

Thanks for the info, however I still consider it wrong, after reviewing the whereabouts, it appears he is doing so in the protected area. Which he isn't supposed to be. It is supposed to be left "As is" there.

swebster

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1360 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2009 :  1:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he has a permit.
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Trip Reports > British Columbia Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam