Group Discussion
 Gotta Love Gear
 The Humble Tim Horton's Thermos
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7317 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  9:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
I was in need of a new thermos; ideally one that was around 700ml and reasonably light and well insulated. Turns out that Tim Hortons sells a 725ml thermos brand Stainless Steel Thermos for 15.95.
I did a little test on this bad boy by pre-heating the bottle then filling it with boiling water, then I stuck it in the fridge for 8.5 hrs to see how well it insulated.
The water temp at this point was still 70c, so it definitely keeps in the heat quite nicely.
For 16 bucks and a free coffee fill it's a good buy if you are in need of a thermos.

Baddoc48
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
755 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  06:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll drink to that!

Does it have a regular top/cap or one of those "cute" dimple ones that can dispense liquid w/o opening the entire bottle ?

Mtraslin
Intermediate Member

north vancouver, british columbia
Canada

608 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  08:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always have time for Tim Horton's!
Good hockey player to.
What is with the time limit for hanging out there!
Can you get all you can eat Tim bits instead of the coffe fill?
I have to have a look at this thermos!
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7317 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  2:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regular top cap Baddoc. 25 hrs in the fridge and the water was 40 celcius.
ClubTread Supporter

Ryan.in.yaletown
Advanced Member

Van, BC
Canada

3093 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  2:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having used a thermos in... ever, that seems quite impressive!

-Ryan
ClubTread Supporter

hikeforhealth

Surrey, BC
Canada

1001 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  6:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tim Horton's travel mug is also a great find. It sells for $4 and includes a free coffee. It keeps coffee warm for a long time. You can get it refilled, it is a little more than an xl, for the price of a l. You should ask for the l price because some people, who don't know, will charge you for an xl.
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7493 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a couple of them hot mugs, they are great for travelling, and they told me it was the price of an XL for refill (plus comes full).

I wonder how many extra large coffee this thermos holds, Im drinking an extra large tims now and it doesn't show how many ml's the cup holds.

Also what else is interesting is you can download all the Tim Hortons Locations to your GPS, for easy navigation
http://www.timhortons.com/en/about/gps.html

Edited by - AcesHigh on 12/26/2008 11:24 PM
ClubTread Supporter

WestCoastPaddler

Langley, BC
Canada

1543 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  12:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have an ipod touch or an iphone, you can type "tim hortons" into the search box on your map application (google maps) and it will mark every tims in your vicinity (you can also type in gas station, pub, grocery store, pharmacy, etc). It's really cool and quite handy.

The Tim's thermos sounds like a good deal, I think I'll stop there tomorrow and pick on up.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

-----
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7317 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder how many extra large coffee this thermos holds,

They said it was an XL and a small or so combined. It's 725ml so it's basically a 24oz thermos.

the743
Intermediate Member

n van, bc
Canada

830 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only recommendation is not to go crazy with a thermos filled Tim Horton's coffee when you got a long drive with no facilities available on the way up.... What is it about those Tim Horton coffees, we'll never know. Hopefully this wasn't too lewd! But a friendly warning.
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillyGoat

Turns out that Tim Hortons sells a 725ml thermos brand Stainless Steel Thermos for 15.95.

Or you could save a dollar and get 275ml extra - MEC has Thermos brand 1L steel thermoses for $15.00

mtnview

Calgary, Alberta
333 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  6:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this one from Mec. Bit pricey ($30?)but no separate cap and cup, all in one, just click open and drink.

Haven't tested it for how long it will hold temperature though. Used it for 2 hours on Praire Mtn today and coffe was hot at the summit.

Best regards,
Allan A
http://www.geocities.com/truedino
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7317 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  7:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dru

quote:
Originally posted by BillyGoat

Turns out that Tim Hortons sells a 725ml thermos brand Stainless Steel Thermos for 15.95.

Or you could save a dollar and get 275ml extra - MEC has Thermos brand 1L steel thermoses for $15.00

Yeah we've had many of those. 1ltr is a bit much he was looking for something in the range of 725mls.

Exscape
ClubTread Supporter

Ryan.in.yaletown
Advanced Member

Van, BC
Canada

3093 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WestCoastPaddler

If you have an ipod touch or an iphone, you can type "tim hortons" into the search box on your map application (google maps) and it will mark every tims in your vicinity (you can also type in gas station, pub, grocery store, pharmacy, etc). It's really cool and quite handy.

The Tim's thermos sounds like a good deal, I think I'll stop there tomorrow and pick on up.

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

-----

Also works with the BlackBerry Bold :)

-Ryan
  Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam