Page: of 2

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  11:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by hikemike

Hey Prother,

That's cool! I've been tramping around that area for years and never seen any wreckage, so looking forward to next trip up there!

What's it like dropping down from Arrowsmith summit via the Nose to Jewel Lake? Never been that way, but thinking up Judges or Un-Judges then over summit, down the Nose to the Saddle then up to Cokely and out via Rosseau Route and back to Judges parking on the mainline. Know there's a bit of road walk or hitchhike involved, maybe worth it for experience?

I've got all day, but any timelines, heads up on objective hazards and route planning strategies would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

M

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you're biting off a big day. The Un-Judges to South Summit, traverse to Main Summit and descend via Judges and a traverse back through the first growth is a pretty long day in itself, of maybe 8-9 hours.

You don't mention if you have ever been on the Nose. It is a very exposed 4th class arete, with a couple of low 5th class move and I wouldn't recommend down climbing it for your first time. There are two bombproof belay stations, that some people free solo up to, to belay others up and most people choose to rappel on descent. Facing north, the Nose will soon start to get some frozen drips, usually where your best holds are.
Once you're down from the Nose, you sill have to traverse the "Bumps", several sub-peaks, to reach the plateau above the Saddle.
Then there's the very long logging road hike back to your truck. Done once and you'll swear to never do it again.

You could go up the Saddle Route, cross the plateau and north slopes under the Bumps, take in the airplane wreckage, drop down to Jewel (Emerald) Lake, then up to the Saddle, then Mt Colely and return on the Rosseau Trail, with only a 5 minute walk down the logging road to your truck. It's a nice loop of about 6-7 hours.

If you go to the Arrowsmith web site, <www.mountarrowsmith.org>, you can download a map showing most of the popular routes on the mountain. The site is sorely needing updating and I'd like to include route descriptions and photos someday... that and that it's now a park.

Have you been in the new Merrin Lk Route to Rees Ridge yet?

Peter

hikemike

Forbidden Plateau, BC
Canada

104 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  7:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Prother,

Ya, knew it may have been a bit ambitious to do the route that way, with or without tech gear! Done Saddle to Lake then up Cokley and down Rosseau before, missed wreckage though, guessing by your route description, its on North face of Arrowsmith above the lake.

Will attempt again soon and keep eyes open.

As for Mirren/Rees, its on the list!

Cheers,

M

davebambrough
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  9:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Prother is that your real name?. Who is your neighbor. The reason i ask is that i have lived in Coombs for 35 years and i may know you guys.

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, You have the right area in mind. There's not much wreckage left and it's easy to overlook. It's amazing how time will erase the past... especially in the minds of us humans. In another generation, all of those people that took place in that somewhat recent, but major event, will be gone and forgotten... and our generation or the next will have no memory of those people at all. Such is history.

Please keep in touch about Mirren and I will also do in turn.

Peter

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davebambrough

Hey Prother is that your real name?. Who is your neighbor. The reason i ask is that i have lived in Coombs for 35 years and i may know you guys.

My full name is Peter Rothermel and I have lived in Qualicum Beach for almost forty years. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not paranoid about giving my real name out. If someone wants to steal my identity, then they are welcome to steal my bank debt as well.

While I'm OK with giving out my own name, I won't give out a neighbors name and you are Dave Bambrough I assume? Probably a good idea to give your own full name, before asking someone else for theirs, yes?

Peter

davebambrough
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  8:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much like yourself i am probably naive. Yes that is my real and full name.

joker

Brentwood Bay, BC
276 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  2:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Prother, did couchpotato ever get those cords to you, or any more information?

quote:
Originally posted by couchpotato0696

Hullo Prother,
As I recall, the California Air Guard jet did not crash directly on Mt. Albert Edward, but on a nearby slope which was apparently unnamed. I'll see if I can get coordinates for you. The chopper pilot who happened onto it in 1991 or so said there was generally a lot of snow on the mountain, but it had been a warm summer (we ran the story in October, as I recall) and the snow had receded more than usual, hence the tail was visible. He had flown near the mountain a number of times, but had never before seen the airplane...

prother

Qualicum Beach, BC
Canada

1585 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2012 :  5:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joker,

No I never got an exact location for the downed jet near Albert Edward. I did however have a few emails from someone that wanted me to take them to the Arrowsmith crash site. I think he had a relative that died in the crash. I have lost his contact info, so if he reads this, he can recontact me.

Peter

Hiker45

Cumberland, BC
Canada

75 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  2:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the plane wreck that happened near Mt. Albert Edward, I think that the jet hit the side of the ridge and exploded into pieces. It is at the bottom near Hope lake. To get down to it, would require a good day of hiking. You have to go over Mt. Frink and follow the ridge line down towards Hope Lake. You have to wait until around August sometime to allow the snow to melt away. On a hiking trip years ago, I spotted some metal still down there, but it is a long way down!!!,then back up.

Island Boy

Nanaimo, BC
Canada

220 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  2:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was Capt. Michael Mendes flying a T-33 military training jet. The crash occurred in 1982.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19821206&id=rgcwAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5O4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=1308,3784590

Edited by - Island Boy on 01/07/2013 2:46 PM

Westcoastwill

Gallneukirchen, Upperaustria
Austria

57 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like another mistery of a lost plane is solved:

http://www.timescolonist.com/remains-of-missing-warplane-found-near-lake-cowichan-1.786332
Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Vancouver Island Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam