Gotta Love Gear
 Ordering skis online from U.S.
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

willis

Vancouver, B.C.
464 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  2:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
As a somewhat frequent consumer of goods via Steep and Cheap I've never had to pay duty on any items I've ever received. Now I'm looking at buying skis online from the U.S.

Has anyone had any experience ordering skis online from the U.S.? It's my understanding that skis are duty free as long as they are made in a preferred trading partner country. Which the skis I am looking at are. I just don't want to be dinged with duties if I am not supposed to be.

ClubTread Supporter

quirkygal
Intermediate Member

Vancouver, BC
Canada

631 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ordered a pair of skis last season and had them shipped to blaine where i picked them up . if you are bringing back goods over your exemption limit, you will need to pay GST and PST on the PRICE YOU PAID (not the actual value of the goods), and downhill skis and ski boots are duty free. keep in mind that xc skis, snowboards and "other" skis have 7.5% tariff.

see section XX, ch 95-4, 9505.11 Skis at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/01-99/ch95-eng.pdf
ClubTread Supporter

quirkygal
Intermediate Member

Vancouver, BC
Canada

631 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willis

As a somewhat frequent consumer of goods via Steep and Cheap I've never had to pay duty on any items I've ever received.

if you have the goods shipped to your home in canada, Steep and Cheap usually includes the tariff in the shipping charge so the duty is prepaid. thus, you're not asked to pay it when it arrives at your door. that's often why their shipping is more expensive (but the net savings is well worth it ).

willis

Vancouver, B.C.
464 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information Quirkygal.

I wonder though, if there is no duty on skis then why not just have them shipped directly into Canada? Other than cheaper shipping costs what are the benefits to having them shipped to Blaine?

Mike Valhalla
Intermediate Member

Nanaimo, BC
Canada

555 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pay 6.5% duties on Downhill ski's (Black Diamond and Dynafit) There is 0% Duties on plastic ski boots.

JP

341 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  1:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Valhalla

We pay 6.5% duties on Downhill ski's (Black Diamond and Dynafit) There is 0% Duties on plastic ski boots.

"9506.11 - -Skis - 9506.11.10 00 - - -Downhill PAR Free"

Should be free!?!?!

I've never paid duty on skis I've imported. Be sure to ask shipper to label as "downhill" so there's no confusion at the border when someone has to wonder if something labelled a "touring" ski is XC or downhill.

Now brokerage fees . . . that's another topic. See previous threads on this.

swebster

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1357 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  1:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember that duty is one thing and taxes (you will have to pay) and other brokerage fees are another. Depends on how it is shipped.

brilang

Abbotsford, BC
Canada

217 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked with my people on the duties:
quote:
Snowboards - NOT made in the US - 7.5% duty, plus 5% GST, plus 7% PST - all based on the CDN dollar value.
Skis - regardless of origin - all duty free, plus 5% GST, plus 7% PST - all based on the CDN dollar value.

As previously noted, you will have to pay GST and/or PST depending on which province you live in. (No PST in Alberta for example).
  Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam