The Edge (1997)
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
929 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Yesterday I watched The Edge (Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin) again. A Beautiful movie, one of the best I've ever seen and the best filmed in the Canadian Rockies.

The movie is set in Alaska but is apperently filmed in the Kananaskis and Mt. Assiniboine PP . The lodge is on the lake which is apperently Spray Lakes Reservoir; the plane crashes, I think, on Upper Kananaskis Lake and when the bear is chasing the two men we see easily recognizable Mt. Assiniboine and Magog Lake in the background. Apparently they were hiking Nublet or Nub Peak.

I'm wondering if you recognized some other landmarks I missed in this beautiful movie.

Edited by - Engor on 06/08/2008 12:38 PM

DCIPHER

1080 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  5:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't remember the movie well at all, but I remember reading somewhere that you can see Big Sister in a scene.
ClubTread Supporter

Ryan.in.yaletown
Advanced Member

Van, BC
Canada

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  7:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved that movie! My parents had a condo in Dead Man's Flats at the time, and I saw a bit of the filming (remember where they trapped the squirrel in a wooden cage? I was standing behind the camera for that!) Amusing trivia: the log the squirrel was running along was actually made of foam. That scene, as well as the one where they attack and kill the bear, were shot in the campground in Dead Man's.

The waterfall scene and was on Pigeon Creek - whatever the falls is called just up from the quarry. The plane crash was the first lake beyond the pass - Gap Lake? (It's been a while, forget the name.) From what I remember reading, the lodge was built for the movie on Spray Lake, and the filmmakers offered to leave it standing, but the province wanted no development so they took it down.

Edited by - Ryan.in.yaletown on 06/08/2008 7:20 PM

WildernessMan

386 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  7:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great movie, i was in the area when they were filming it :)

Engor
Intermediate Member

Calgary
929 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  3:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

I loved that movie! My parents had a condo in Dead Man's Flats at the time, and I saw a bit of the filming (remember where they trapped the squirrel in a wooden cage? I was standing behind the camera for that!) Amusing trivia: the log the squirrel was running along was actually made of foam. That scene, as well as the one where they attack and kill the bear, were shot in the campground in Dead Man's.

The waterfall scene and was on Pigeon Creek - whatever the falls is called just up from the quarry. The plane crash was the first lake beyond the pass - Gap Lake? (It's been a while, forget the name.) From what I remember reading, the lodge was built for the movie on Spray Lake, and the filmmakers offered to leave it standing, but the province wanted no development so they took it down.

Thanks a lot for telling many interesting details about filming of this movie! I'm glad to find out that I recognized correctly Spray Lakes. I'm sure I'm also correct about Mt. Assiniboine and Nublet Trail.

It's funny to find out that the bear attack scene, which supposedly happened in a very remote place in Alaska, was filmed right beside the Trans Canada Highway

Is there a trail leading up to that waterfall?

Edited by - Engor on 06/09/2008 3:40 PM

calixtomoon

Langley, BC
Canada

1754 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  3:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool movie...Cali and I have watched it about a million and one times..

vic

372 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  4:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen the movie three times and hiked in Mt. Assiniboine 3 times so I recognized it right away. Great movie.

vic

372 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  4:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about this movie made me think of another movie I watched years ago and I recognized where it was filmed and a lot of my friends disagreed with me when I told them. So without using Google do you know where the 1972 movie, "Deliverance" was filmed.
ClubTread Supporter

Ryan.in.yaletown
Advanced Member

Van, BC
Canada

3057 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  6:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Engor

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan.in.yaletown

Thanks a lot for telling many interesting details about filming of this movie! I'm glad to find out that I recognized correctly Spray Lakes. I'm sure I'm also correct about Mt. Assiniboine and Nublet Trail.

It's funny to find out that the bear attack scene, which supposedly happened in a very remote place in Alaska, was filmed right beside the Trans Canada Highway

Is there a trail leading up to that waterfall?

There are two waterfalls on that section of the creek. The upper one can be accessed from old fireroads that start at Alpine Resort Haven and lead into Wind Valley. It's actually a pretty decent falls. The lower falls - which was the one in the movie - I'm not sure about. I think there may be access from around Thunderstone Quarrey, but I'm not sure (and it's likely private property around that area, so be careful).
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam