Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 4

Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
For those those may want to know where Spindle Canyon is located as well as some other interesting data on Slumach and the lost mine. Go out and get yesterdays province (Sunday). There is a an article about a new book on Slumachs Gold. The article contains a map which marks the location of Spindle Canyon.

Jackson

Edited by - Jackson on 09/03/2007 8:07 PM

Stoked

1175 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be off the Boise route flagged by Western Canada Wilderness Committee, right?
ClubTread Supporter

The Hiker
Advanced Member

Fleece thong wearin, Buntzen Lurkin, mystic poet mountain man and international spokesman of the friends of the white squirrel society

Port Moody, B.C.
Canada

6102 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.wildernesscommittee.org/campaigns/historic/pocket/reports/Vol13No01/route
ClubTread Supporter

hikerdude1970

Fleetwood not Surrey, bc
Canada

1125 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Russ, looks like pretty cool route right in our back yards!

gchicalo
Intermediate Member

Lasqueti Island, British Columbia
Canada

534 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  5:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell us the name of the new book on Slumach's Lost Gold Mine? And perhaps post a review of it? I know there are a few books on the subject out there already, but some of them are not too good.

gchicalo
Intermediate Member

Canada

534 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  5:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in hearing the hiking experiences of others in Spindle Canyon. I could also offer some advice on how to navigate it. There are a few "tricky" parts. Just getting to the entrance of Spindle Canyon is a challenge.

Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  8:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the Province article about Slumach. Its a bit to Waite focused but if you want to try for his location its in the Upper Pitt River north of the Hotsprings.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/unwind/story.html?id=d4df1b4b-5508-4497-b38e-c66cf24fc501

In regards to books on the lost mine here is a list of books that mention the lost mine or are totally about it.

1. Slumachs gold In search of a legend by the same authors above this is there first edition 1972
The chapter Remants of Research is most interesting.

2.Tales of the Golden Ears by Don Waite
Tells the Amanada Charnley Story same as article in the Province.

3.The Golden Mountains by Charles A miller
Full of great info like the Shotwell Story (who the Jackson letter was adressed to)Also has accounts of a prospector finding gold around Debeck Creek and has an account of Ragner Berglands fall into Spindle Canyon when he was attacked by a bear. As well as all kinds of other info on the mines around Stave Lake and Blue Mountain. Two of which I own for the moment.

4. Jack Mould and the Curse of Gold by Elizebeath Hawkins
(Pile of crap about Jack Moulds find at the North of Bute Inlet. Claiming his location was Slumachs gold. The worst piece of crap ever to be published regarding Slumach. If Slumach placed a curse on the gold. Lets hope he placed a second one on this book from the grave. The only thing good about this book is it mentions Jim Everett. A great dowser who found Jacks gold for him on Southgate peak near Bute Inlet and Jack took the credit and didnt give Jim a dime. Jim is a great man. May he rest in peace. However that being said Jack did find a mine (adit) on Southgate peak and an old Spanish helmet. I believe he did in fact find an old Spanish Mine. But there is no connection to Slumach. The last time I had a line on this story. Jack himself had come to the conclusion he had not found Slumachs gold and was focusing finding info connecting it to the Spanish in the Archives in Seville. He found a document claiming a wreck went down loaded with ore somewhere in Bute Inlet. That had come from the mine on Southgate peak.

5. Seekers of Gold by Daryl Friesen
(My own account) You can read some Chapters online and be the judge.

6. The Fraser Valley Story by Don Waite
( First release of Stuart Brown Letters to the Public and mentions tent shape rock found near Corbold Creek.

7. Slumachs lost mine by Ramsey (fiction)
Sounds like Lara Croft meets Slumach (crap)

8. The lost mine of Pitt Lake by Bill Barlee (an article but a must)
First release of Jackson letter to public. Bills father got it from one of the searchers who found it in Volcanic Browns last camp.

9. The Lost Creek mine by T.W.Patterson availble in Lost Bonazas of Western Canada Vol 1
A great account with all kinds of little pieces of info to help one put the puzzle together.

Jackson

Edited by - Jackson on 09/05/2007 04:04 AM
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7494 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  8:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have listed yours as 7 Jackson for good luck, interesting story/history information indeed.

Just the name of the "Spindle Canyon" gives me a weary sense about the place.

Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I tried to make Seekers diffrent then the rest of the lost mine books. I tried to capture some of the wonder of first learning the legend as a child. Then I tried to keep that wonder alive as the real world moved in and started to attack my childhood dream. I then tried to regain that wonder by showing as much courage and determintion as I could by trying to find it and to prove the real world wrong. That there was some truth to this legend. I tried to bring the search alive by having character and dialog. I don't know if I succeed with Seekers but I gave it my best shot. Only time will really tell.

Try not,do or do not
there is no try.
-Yoda

Sincerley,
Jackson

Edited by - Jackson on 09/05/2007 04:08 AM

gchicalo
Intermediate Member

Canada

534 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  09:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Jackson. Keep your personal search going... no matter what anyone says. At the end of the Province article was a link to an interesting website:

http://www.slumach.ca

Backroader

Tumbler Ridge, BC
Canada

1365 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred Braches? Not a name I've come across before, but I'm not a passionate follower of the whole story. I am more interested in the people who are interested in the legend.

You know of him, Daryl?

Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  6:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

Thanks for the encouragement but I dont know if I want to search anymore. How much more hope and time and money do I want to put into it? In regards to Fred Branches yeah I know of him and have talked to him by email a couple of times. Its his passion to find the truth of Slumach. He is a really nice guy. But Slumach is not the be all and end of the Lost mine saga.

The truth about Slumach is he is just one of many to find gold in those mountains and he did find gold. How much and where is the question? Yes all the stuff in the papers about killing woman and having huge nuggets this is all lies made up by the papers in the 50s to sell papers. Slumach did however bring gold into New West. The amount was of course totally blown out of proportion by the papers in the 50s. The first mention of his find was in the paper back in 1889.

I believe Fred has the article on his site about the Indian coming into New West with a good showing of gold. That indian I believe is Slumach and this is where the legend starts. He later confessed to Peter Pierre about his find. ( this was in the paper on Sunday I believe.)

Peter Pierre also found Jackson on the side of Pitt lake holding his backpack of gold after he came out the mountains. Which is on the shore of Pitt Lake across from little goose island. Here is a strange coincedence for you. The same spot where Peter Pierre found Jackson on the old green topo maps is actually marked Williams Landing. Look at the Jackson letter its signed W.Jackson. His first name was William. Did the map makers know something about the history. I think they did. Then there is Ore creek near Burke on older maps its spelled Ore creek on new ones its Or creek. We all know you can find gold there to dont we BR? Anyway.

Slumachs find did what gold does. When people find it others go to the same areas to look for it. The next one to find something was Jackson. He wrote his letter and died. His letter was adressed to Shotwell. Who also found gold. The next person was Volcanic Brown. He also died and found gold. So what is the truth of Volcanic Brown and the truth of Jackson and the truth of Stuart Brown and Tiny Allen? Lets not forget the truth of Shotwell? or the truth of Louis Hagbo and Alfred Gaspard? Slumach started a gold rush. Like say Billy Barker did in the Cariboo. Just because he started it does not mean he is the be all and end all of it. Slumach gets way to much focus.

There is gold in our local mountains. You can go to Blue Mountain in Maple Ridge and find it. You can pan nuggets in 79 creek that flows into the Stave. The gold deposits in our local mountain are high grad/low tonnage. That means very rich but not that large at least thats whats been found and recorded so far.

Slumach more than likley found something like this and I believe what he found and what Jackson found are diffrent. Everyone in the legend may have found gold in a diffrent location. Well there is one exception to that but I will keep that one to myself for now. This post is now getting way to long but I hope you enjoyed it.

Jackson

Edited by - Jackson on 09/06/2007 6:22 PM

Staver
Starting Member

Mission, BC
Canada

35 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put.

ryanc

Burnaby, B.C.
Canada

64 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  4:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is also a book called "Lost Bonanzas of Western Canada" which includes the legend of the Lost Creek Mine(Slumachs Lost Mine), Lost Mine of the Similkameen, and the Lost Platinum Cache which is Granite City by Coalmont.

I found the article in the Province paper about Slumachs mine an interesting read and believe that there is gold somewhere in the upper reaches of the Pitt River and its tributaries. I think that if anybody thinks they can find the gold in a day trip to Pitt Lake, that they should think again. This type of gold searching would takes weeks or even months of backwoods trekking and even at that there is so much ground to cover.

Jackson

Langley, B.C.
Canada

232 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hence why its been lost for so long.

Jackson

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam, British Columbia
Canada

1727 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any luck lately jackson?

Dax
Intermediate Member

Port Moody, BC
Canada

733 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  7:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone willing to share with me the GPS coordinates of the B-52 bomber? I want to hike in and see it.

MtBakerClimber
Starting Member

Abbotsford, BC
Canada

26 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you mean the B-25. Now a B-52 would be very impressive sight to see.

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam, British Columbia
Canada

1727 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...jackson u should be keeping this info with a select few people like me so we can share the gold only amongst ourselves!

trailflower

Super botonist, hippie chick who cuddles thistles with glee

Langley, BC
Canada

1544 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search on for missing miner

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/

By Paul Rudan
The Mirror

Sep 12 2007

For decades Jack Mould searched the mountains of Bute Inlet for lost Spanish gold mines.

But now the 71-year-old prospector is missing after mysteriously disappearing while gathering fresh water from the Southgate River.

“The river is very deep at the banks and if someone fell in without thermal protection and a PFD, they would have very limited time to affect a self-rescue. No sign of the man was ever located,” said Grant Cromer of Campbell River Search and Rescue.

Searchers were called out last Wednesday after Mould was reported missing. Ironically, it was the same location where they were on Aug. 20, to rescue a hiker who was severely injured in a rock slide.

Mould’s old vehicle – the same one used by searchers as a makeshift ambulance in the previous rescue – was found about kilometre away from his camp at the river mouth.

A bottle of fresh water was found in the trunk and two empty bottles were found near the river’s edge. The man’s dog was found nearby and his gun was also resting beside the vehicle.

A pair of boots was also found down river which may or may not belong to Mould. One boot was pulled out of the water while the other was found bone-dry up on the bank, but there was no sign of Mould and no indication he had been attacked by an animal.

The next day, the Campbell River searchers were joined by others from the Comox Valley as well as the crew of the Coast Guard cutter Point Race, Powell River RCMP and Comox Valley dog master. They conducted an extensive search of the river and surrounding area with no success.

“The Southgate is a very large winding river. It has zero visibility and is full of downed trees and log jams which makes searching the banks very dangerous for the water teams,” said Cromer in a news release. “The risk of being hung up by branches and underwater entrapments is high on that river plus the fact that it is fed straight from about six glaciers. It’s pretty chilly even with all the thermal protection we wear.”

The area also supports healthy populations of grizzly and black bears, cougars, and wolves were actually spotted by searchers who were all armed in case of an attack.

One theory to Mould’s disappearance is he suffered from a medical condition and may have fell, or tripped, into the river. But after two days of extensive searching, the mission was called off and has been suspended by the RCMP pending any new information.

It is believed that Mould lived in the area for more than 40 years. He hiked the local peaks, looking for caves and abandoned gold mines started by the Spanish in the 18th century.

There’s even a book about his exploits, “Jack Mould and the Curse of Gold” by Elizabeth Hawkins, which may be more historical fiction than fact. However, Mould believed the Spanish minded gold from a local mountain but then their ship sunk near the mouth of the river and has never been found.

gchicalo
Intermediate Member

Canada

534 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes. The wreckage of the crashed B-25 Mitchell bomber rears its head again. People, remember the pact!
Page: of 4 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > British Columbia - Mainland Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam