Author Topic  
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  5:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Anyone here know a good remedy for a serious case of Devils Club? Something from the kitchen perhaps ?

I had hiked thru serious devils club today in the bush. I don't think there is a sq cm not stung on my legs shorts down lol.

Hope someone can come up with a remedy of any kind from the food cupboard or fridge...

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Edited by - AcesHigh on 06/03/2007 8:18 PM
ClubTread Supporter

Flowing-Brook
Advanced Member

Popkum, BC
Canada

6082 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  5:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible to get them out one at a time if your compassionate helper has good eyes and you can endure all that needling. Other then that, one has to wait for them to fester out. Owiee is right, poor soul.
Hugs,
Lynn
ClubTread Supporter

OK Jack
Advanced Member

Fungi Filmin', Wine Drinkin', 'Shroom Eatin', Early Risin', Deer Whisperin', Curry Cookin', Macro Maniac

Chilliwack + Osoyoos
3658 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  5:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AcesHigh

Anyone here know a good remedy for a serious case of Devils Club? Something from the kitchen perhaps ?

I had hiked thru serious devils club today in the bush. I don't think there is a sq cm not stung on my legs shorts down lol.

Hope someone can come up with a remedy of any kind from the food cupboard or fridge...

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
Double Scotch on the rocks helps, dude... did you see any bears, while you were complaining about yer pain ???

C'Jack...
ClubTread Supporter

Aqua Terra
Advanced Member

canine loving, machete-toting bushwhacking lake seeker, Indiana Jones hat-wearing off-road 4x4 guru

Mission, BC
Canada

7734 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  6:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your seasoning yourself for some soon to come AT and Spunky trips hhehe.Pick out what you can,you may have to shave your legs first
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  6:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Cjack what are those other things called that stung the hell outta me? What was that "insta sting" feeling stuff? I forget the proper name...

Yea , looks like next time I may be immune to them , got so many now lol I was actually thinking of your bushwacks A/T as I was machetting thru the stocks 3/4-1 inch thick of devils club most in their prime , some 6 ft tall.... Grrr where's a flamethrower when you need one...

Wonder if there is anything. I can't wear pants stings too much LOL

Edited by - AcesHigh on 06/03/2007 6:15 PM

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  6:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not something you'd likely have in your kitchen cupboard, but I wonder if an oatmeal bath might help? (You can buy it at drugstores and maybe some foodstores or small corner stores)
It worked wonders for my daughter when she had chickenpox, I know, different situation but just a thought.
What about asking the pharmacy?
Unrelated again but I have cream with oatmeal in it that works wonders for mosquito bites - which reminds me I should go find it now - first bag night in ages, and ugh... dam bugs!

I feel your pain though, I've experienced that nasty $h!t, once the skin swells there's no getting those things out.
I'd go with C'jacks suggestion too - scotch is always good.
ClubTread Supporter

OK Jack
Advanced Member

Fungi Filmin', Wine Drinkin', 'Shroom Eatin', Early Risin', Deer Whisperin', Curry Cookin', Macro Maniac

Chilliwack + Osoyoos
3658 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  6:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Cjack what are those other things called that stung the hell outta me?
Nettles...

brucew

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

1346 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  7:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chilliwack Jack

quote:

Hey Cjack what are those other things called that stung the hell outta me?
Nettles...

If you got into a herd of Nettles then you should now have an idea of how itchy things can get. The cure for nettles always grows right next to it. Any juicy sap plant when rubbed across the sting will eliminate it. Now for revenge I suggest you pick all the tender leaves off the nettle and cook them up. They taste a bit like spinach and are better for you. You can also eat them raw but you have to roll them up with the downside of the leaf inside and squish the life out of it. If it stings your throat on the way down it will be a new experience for you !
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  7:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A field of stinging nettles is merely hot sauce for your legs. After 5 minutes or so you will even start to like it.

goatboy

122 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  7:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there nothing that duct tape can't fix?;
http://www.goodnaturedearthling.com/news_autumn2004.htm
1% hydrocortisone (OTC in the US) helps for the rash too!
ClubTread Supporter

OK Jack
Advanced Member

Chilliwack + Osoyoos
3658 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  7:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brucew

The cure for nettles always grows right next to it.
Dock Leaves...

C'Jack...
ClubTread Supporter

Ronbo

Edited by
Ron Paley

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Canada

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  7:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear meat tenderizer works. If not, back to the Scotch. I remember seeing on the TV show "Survivor" one person got Jellyfish stings and urine worked. After the Scotch you could do both legs.

Edited by - Ronbo on 06/03/2007 7:56 PM
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  8:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks but the only oatmeal I have is porridge (Maple flavour lol)

The Nettles are what did most of the damage, i feel like 10,000 pins n needles poking my legs right now.

I tried to lay down , cant, gotta sleep standing up or put my legs in a sling HOLY! lol

I never walked thru so many nettles in my life, with shorts on, never again! Im wearing pants and gaiters next time...

Keep the Remedies coming in please....
Shower didn't help
ClubTread Supporter

OK Jack
Advanced Member

Chilliwack + Osoyoos
3658 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  8:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just has a fit of leg cramp spasms !!!

Everything locked up solid !!!

Nettle poisoning ???

Is there a Doctor in the house ???

Drambuie, maybe ???

C'Jack...
ClubTread Supporter

Aqua Terra
Advanced Member

canine loving, machete-toting bushwhacking lake seeker, Indiana Jones hat-wearing off-road 4x4 guru

Mission, BC
Canada

7734 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  9:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drambuie is good,very good
Take 7-8 doses before bedtime

Edited by - Aqua Terra on 06/03/2007 9:04 PM

TheShadow
Advanced Member

Mysterious, pop can stove stashin', gps totin', overnighter virgin, wannabe tentmaker and foul weather wuss who rides a thumper to the trailhead with wonderdog Max to hike the Chilliwack Valley

Chwk
Canada

5075 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oatmeal stuff is called AVEENO. You can get it in bath-salt form or as a topical cream; works great for mosquito bites too!

When working up in Tumbler Ridge (early 80's) I had the misfortune of working all day in the attic of an apartment building, in 4 feet of blown fiberglass insulation.
Never itched so much in my life!

One of the insulators told me that the best thing I could do was to simply lay in a HOT bathtub for a few hours until I pruned up...helps to work all the fibers out of the skin.
My skepticism was quickly trumped by the incessant itching, bordering on prickly heat so I propped the door open and jimmy'd the TV so I could watch it and spent the next four hours in the tub.

This worked for me...your results may vary.

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5589 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, I can feel your pain just reading this. I dunno....aloe vera maybe? Calamine lotion? And lots and lots of alcohol. Not applied topically though.

pmicheals
Advanced Member

Richmond, BC
Canada

2645 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devils club - I wait till they fester individually and pop them out.

Do you normally wear Gators when going cross country through the bush or keep a pair on you if you decide to stray from the beaten path?

Anybody think there's a chance Aces may have run into something else also?

Shorts through brush.......ouch. There are some obvious advantages to having light weight covertables.

I use very mild soap and water and if you're getting a reaction check with your Doc for the correct antihistimine and corticosteroid cream as someone suggested. Has anyone ever used any antipruitic lotions or creams? success/yes/no?

pmicheals
Advanced Member

Richmond, BC
Canada

2645 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  01:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And lots and lots of alcohol. Not applied topically though.

The CT pharmaceutical of choice
ClubTread Supporter

AcesHigh
Advanced Member

Chilliwack, BC
Canada

7496 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*Not Sleeping* right now :( lol
ALCOHOL ?! U kidding heh that'd be like putting icing on the cake, neighbours would hear me screaming if I did that...

Even just walking across a room, I can feel the wind blowing on my leg, stings like nothing i ever felt before.

I'm wondering if tomorrow, if it ever comes, I may brave it out, hop on my bike, go for a 5km bike ride, and bear the stinging with all I've got, may help circulate and pump up the blood thru my legs... Maybe that will help create antibodies to defend against the infection maybe? Maybe it will heal quicker....

I also thought, Oh sitting in the cool wind would help, Absolutely Not, just amplified the wonderfull burning sensation even more.

My friggin dog keeps tryin to jump up against my leg, he actually licked my leg for a second and it felt better, maybe if I just rub a dog treat on my leg and let the dog go to er lol (natural remedy)

All I can say is we learn from our mistakes... I always take a extra pair of pants which i never need on the trail. Yesterday I figured Oh I won't need them, I just end up lugging extra weight, and left em in my truck at the trailhead. I will always bring a pair of pants with me now, even though 99% of the time I never need the extra pants.

I tried to pull just one thorn out couldn't even do that...
I don't meen to sound like I am whining, this is an extreme case.

Thanks folks for all your ideas!
  Topic  
 All Forums > Lodge > The Lodge Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam