Dehydrated Soup
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

aarondilger

Eugene, OR
USA

51 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Has anybody tried to dehydrate soup. I was thinking of trying some vegtible soup from a can and just spreading it around in my dehydrator. I would probably come out looking kind of funny, like a chunky fruit roll. From there i could just zip lock it.

Red

N. Vancouver, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  1:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are just going to dehydrate a can of soup, you might as well purchase predried soup from MEC. I really recommend the following book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811726347/sr=8-3/qid=1148417640/ref=sr_1_3/103-3514834-4835069?%5Fencoding=UTF8the It is full of yummy simple recipes that dehydrate beautifully.

Edited by - Red on 05/23/2006 1:56 PM

Marc
Advanced Member

map hatin', coffee perc totin', garbage collectin', backpacking, action hero wannabe, who loves to hide out in Garibaldi park and will have his scouts sing if you keep him awake at night

2690 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  2:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soupworks and Bear Creek both make really good just add water soups as well.

----------------------------------------
www.shiftlessbum.com
ClubTread Supporter

Farmer
Advanced Member

Outward Bound author of the Seinfeld Thread, who builds his own snowshoes

Troy, MT
USA

3255 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  8:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say go for it, a $0.50 can of soup is much cheaper than a $3-$8 bag of soup from mec

Bryan
ClubTread Supporter

SnowSeeker
Advanced Member

Maple syrup lovin', tree huggin', face paintin' relocated Québécoise who is VERY serious about having fun

Vancouver
Canada

2638 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  9:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bear Creek soup is cheap and it makes good portions.

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  9:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knorr Soup is even cheaper! And there are like 30 or 40 flavours.

To be human is to suffer. To be fully human is to suffer knowingly.

DougF

Vernon, BC
Canada

107 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem aarondilger. I use the inserts for my dehydrator that allow the processing of mushy stuff. Just spread the soup out thinly. Just make sure it is very dry (especially if it has meat in it) or it could spoil. I have some food restrictions so precook whole one-pot meals and then dehydrate them. They taste much better than the store bought meals or meals made from pre-dried ingredients. Also much more economical if you do lots of trips.

aarondilger

Eugene, OR
USA

51 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my whole idea was to have a little fun and save a little money. the soups from a can are a lot less expensive than predehydrated soup. And they are a whole lot less expensive than Mountain House. (Is any thing more expensive than Mountain House) I just bougth the plastic trays for my dehydrator that allow me to use liquids and i will use those. I am thinking that i could use one of those just add water soup consentrates, there is no point in getting the ready out of the san soups. i am just going to be taking the water out any ways.
One more question, if i use a soup with meat, how safe will it be and how long can i store it. i have never worked with meat before. does it have to be refrigerated?
ClubTread Supporter

Farmer
Advanced Member

Outward Bound author of the Seinfeld Thread, who builds his own snowshoes

Troy, MT
USA

3255 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jerkey doesnt have to be refrigerated, so assuming you get all the water out, you would just have little pieces of jerkey in your soup

Bryan
ClubTread Supporter

The Hiker
Advanced Member

Fleece thong wearin, Buntzen Lurkin, mystic poet mountain man and international spokesman of the friends of the white squirrel society

Port Moody, B.C.
Canada

6102 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soups & sauces should be no problem, just take the time to get them dry to the touch after they are cool. Look for the low sodium brands and you body will thak you.
I agree with the rest however. When you consider the time and electrical energy used, stuff like Knorr & Lipton Soup works are cheap and taste pretty dam good on a cold rainy day.

No Trail is Long with Good Company.

Alchemist

Red Deer, Alberta
Canada

50 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  2:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you dehydrate your meaty soup to completion, it should keep as long as anything else. Be cautious with knorr soups; they take quite a long simmer time to cook up properly, which costs fuel and time.

Red

N. Vancouver, BC
Canada

393 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  3:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aarondilger

my whole idea was to have a little fun and save a little money. the soups from a can are a lot less expensive than predehydrated soup. And they are a whole lot less expensive than Mountain House. (Is any thing more expensive than Mountain House) I just bougth the plastic trays for my dehydrator that allow me to use liquids and i will use those. I am thinking that i could use one of those just add water soup consentrates, there is no point in getting the ready out of the san soups. i am just going to be taking the water out any ways.
One more question, if i use a soup with meat, how safe will it be and how long can i store it. i have never worked with meat before. does it have to be refrigerated?

Everything you have said here is true, but you will get a lot more nutritional value from making your own soup and dehydrating it. Canned soups are quite high in sodium. Remember that although a can of soup may seem very cheap, you have to factor in the cost of running an electrical appliance for six hours. Since you are not getting the added nutritional value of home-cooked soup, you might as well buy some of those little styrofoam containers of soup for about $0.89 and empty them into ziploc bags. If you have any concerns about dehydrating meat, just take some jerky along in your pack and add it to your soup.

You must be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7318 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2006 :  4:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used Bear Creek soups, and they are very good. Sometimes I'll also add dehydrated veggies and/or meat for more content, but they're pretty darn good on their own.

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam, British Columbia
Canada

1727 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2006 :  06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an easier way...buy in bulk, a large amount of dry soup products and some basic spices and just mix it together. Then just add water and cook...

Gulagger
Intermediate Member

Raincouver, British Columbia
Canada

740 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are the type of person who periodically makes huge pots of homemade soups and stews and then freezes the leftovers, I would recommend dehydrating them instead. I dehydrated some borscht I had in the freezer last night (thawed it first though) and it came out quite well - looks just like commercial soup mixes. And I know it will taste much better than what I can buy at the store.
  Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Backcountry Recipes Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam