What does bear poo look like?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

fillup

Surrey, BC
Canada

184 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Just wondering if anyone has a picture of bear crap so I know what it looks like when i go hiking.
ClubTread Supporter

howesound
Intermediate Member

Bowen Island, BC
Canada

614 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  1:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search Google Images for "bear scat" and you will find lots like this...

When the bears are out you will see it frequently when you are hiking.

My friend Milton will often say, "Imagine the size of the a**-hole that came from. Think of how big the animal must be to have an a**-hole that big!"

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  1:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Black bear crap is usually full of fibre and stained black from berries.

Grizzly bear crap is usually larger, smells of pepper, and contains small bells and scraps of fleece.

----------------------------------------
no matter. try again. fail again. fail better.
ClubTread Supporter

SnowSeeker
Advanced Member

Maple syrup lovin', tree huggin', face paintin' relocated Québécoise who is VERY serious about having fun

Vancouver
Canada

2638 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  3:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dru

Black bear crap is usually full of fibre and stained black from berries.
Grizzly bear crap is usually larger, smells of pepper, and contains small bells and scraps of fleece.

Poop talk... My favorite subject these days... I saw a lot of poop a few days ago but none of that kind, thank goodness!

Thanks for the topic, I'm glad I finally saw what it looked like. I guess I could have always googled it but never actually had the time to do it!

TheShadow
Advanced Member

Mysterious, pop can stove stashin', gps totin', overnighter virgin, wannabe tentmaker and foul weather wuss who rides a thumper to the trailhead with wonderdog Max to hike the Chilliwack Valley

Chwk
Canada

5066 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yogi bear poop has remnants of pick-a-nick baskets!

...face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

Edited by - TheShadow on 04/19/2006 6:51 PM
ClubTread Supporter

The Hiker
Advanced Member

Fleece thong wearin, Buntzen Lurkin, mystic poet mountain man and international spokesman of the friends of the white squirrel society

Port Moody, B.C.
Canada

6102 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  6:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My friend Milton will often say, "Imagine the size of the a**-hole that came from. Think of how big the animal must be to have an a**-hole that big!"

Coming from Milton that would crack me up too!!!

Baddoc48
Intermediate Member

Chilliwack, BC
755 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was kinda yellow . . . oh, wait, that's poo bear

point
Intermediate Member

coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

804 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  3:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first time my wife ever saw bear scat on a short hike, I started to pick it apart inspecting it.
"That's gross!" she said. "What are you doing?"
"Well, if you're really lucky," I reply "you can find a ring or a watch in this stuff sometimes)"
(She's terrified of bears)
ClubTread Supporter

hikerdude1970

Fleetwood not Surrey, bc
Canada

1125 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  4:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you want to see lots of bear crap i would suggest hiking the centennial trail from the Skagit through to Lindeman lake in july-aug. i went through there last year and there had to be a big pile o'crap every 100 feet

If you cant outrun the bear, be sure to trip the person in front of you

magnetite

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

1575 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  4:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This reminds me of a prank I pulled on a co-worker that was based in the same camp as me a few years back. He pulled a couple of pranks on a few of us so I just couldn't resist pulling one on him. One day when I was out mapping I came across a very (VERY) large deposit of dried bear poo. I put the poo in a sample bag and took it back to camp with me. That night I separated some of the poo from the rest and rehydrated it in another bag. When it was good & ripe, and late at night, I dumped it on the ground a few feet from his tent. I repeated this two more times during the week (there was lots of it). Others knew what I had done and joined in conversation with me at breakfast. I of course had Stephen Herreros' "Bear Atacks" book with me when I sat down at the table next to him. The topic of the conversation was how to tell the difference between grizzly poo and black bear poo. After careful examination the rest of us all agreed that it was definitely grizzly poo and based on the diameter, most likely a large one. I still can't believe we all kept a straight face. We then talked about how a person's diet might cause them to be more attractive to a bear than other people. Two of us actually moved our tents to sites further away from his tent. At times, he was visibly nervous.
I told him what I had done about two months later. We were pretty good friends at that point. I just made sure it was on the last day in camp.

Edited by - magnetite on 04/20/2006 4:52 PM
ClubTread Supporter

Farmer
Advanced Member

Outward Bound author of the Seinfeld Thread, who builds his own snowshoes

Troy, MT
USA

3250 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  9:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when I ride burke, I always see more bear poo on the ride up coast meridian than I do on the trail, or when I'm hiking on burke, it seems they are all either in garbage cans or at the blueberry fields by minnehkada

if you are ever board at night, drive down twards the minnekhada lodge, and watch the bears and deer in the fields, its really cool

Bavarian Raven

Coquitlam, British Columbia
Canada

1727 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the Pitt dykes, the bear dung is blue in the fall...too many blue berries!
  Topic  
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Hiking and Backpacking Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam