Author Topic
Page: of 2

TheKyle

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

89 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  4:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any crafty ways to dispose of old naptha fuel? I have a near full can of it from last spring, and I don't have a fire pit, so I can't use it to start fires. I'm at a loss, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

----------------------------------------
Gucci Hiker Hater.

scottN

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1512 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  4:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why not burn it in your stove?
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  4:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you can burn gasoline in stoves, can you run your car on white gas without wrecking it?
ClubTread Supporter

Matt

Langley, BC
Canada

1094 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  4:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just use it in your stove. I've never seen a can of white gas with a expiry date on it. White gas isn't a dairy product.

There are 10 kinds of people... those that can count to 10 with their fingers, and those that can count to 1023.
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone did tell me that as white gas ages it oxidizes into verithane (sp) or something like that?

Dirt Diggler
Intermediate Member

881 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can run it in your car but don't.The engine preignites like a mofo.I used it to get to a gas station and had to stall the truck to turn the motor off.

shrubhugger

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1129 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does age. You can apparently get these jelly like deposits that can clog up your jet (maybe that's what happens to Varathane when it is immersed in naptha?). But this won't be an issue a year after purchase, and when it is an issue, you can supposedly filter it through a coffee filter. I tried this with some five year old fuel a while ago, but I didn't catch any jellyfish. (the jet on my stove always clogs up, even with brand new fuel ...maybe it is already too full of Varathane )

shrubhugger

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1129 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Diggler

You can run it in your car but don't.The engine preignites like a mofo.I used it to get to a gas station and had to stall the truck to turn the motor off.

Awesome. Now we know.
ClubTread Supporter

Matt

Langley, BC
Canada

1094 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  5:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a fuel injected car the dieseling after turn off shouldn't be a problem. If it's too bad for a stove I wouldn't put it in my car anyways. Mind you, I've come accross some pretty old white gas, and it still smells the same to me.

There are 10 kinds of people... those that can count to 10 with their fingers, and those that can count to 1023.
ClubTread Supporter

darrenbell
Advanced Member

Penhold, Alberta
Canada

2186 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  6:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As was said, you can just run it thru a coffee filter and get any greeblies out. Should be no problem.

Dusty Boots

Beaverton, ON
Canada

1298 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  7:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used gas in my stove that was 3 years old, or older. No problems. Maybe not as high a BTU output but it ran fine. The big thing is leaving gas in your fuel lines over a long period, as that will produce a 'varnish' and help clog things up. At the end of the 'season', if you put the left over gas into smaller containers, so there isn't much air in the container, it'll help keep it fresher

--------------------------------------------
...learning to shrug is the start of knowledge .......
ClubTread Supporter

Matt

Langley, BC
Canada

1094 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still highly doubtful that it goes bad.

If naptha does form a sludge, I've never seen it. It may form a sludge in the stove itself, but remember that the conditions inside a stove or drastically different than those in your fuel container. The only way I can think of for white gas to go bad is if it's contaminated with water and/or water causes rust in the steel container it's stored in. Varathane (poly-urethane) is completely unrelated to naptha. I don't know what's in poly urethane, but I'm guessing there's some urea. So unless you pee in your white gas it shouldn't be turning into Varathane.

nutpants

hope, british columbia
Canada

75 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can burn it in your car. Camp stove fuel is white gas ( not the same as napha I think) just it is pure and has no additives in it. Just don't put it in on an empty tank..

But then I was told this by a friend of a guy who dated johns sisters friends older brothers aunt..
But I beleave it because he read it on the internet..

Nutpants

It is odd spending] the best part of one's life earning money in order to enjoy a questionable liberty during the least valuable part of it"
-Henry David Thoreau

shrubhugger

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1129 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd google and find some authoratative-looking site to wrap this up, but I've given up without success. I did find a parallel conversation amongst people who seem to know as little as we do:

http://forums.backpacker.com/thread.jspa?forumID=4&threadID=42044&messageID=447920

Also, another use: naphtha, along with battery acid, lye, ammonia, wood alcohol and various other household goodies, can be used to make methamphetamine. Sounds great. Here's more info:
http://web.utk.edu/~lde1/Part3
Page 56 discusses the composition of Coleman fuel and its various synonyms.

iamcanjim

162 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  8:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to dispose of it, fill you car with gas and then add it. It acts as a octane reducer, so if you are really concerned, fill with premium first.

monkeyboy

vancouver island, b.c.
Canada

404 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,I've been an auto tech for 18 years now and work on brand new vehicles mostly.I specialize in electonic engine controls,fuel injection,etc.High tech shit in english.I personally wouldn't put naptha in any fuel injected vehicle for fear of how it will affect oxygen sensors,catalytic convertors,rubber and plastic fuel system components and what kind of residues it may leave in my cylinders as it screws up my fuel trim and changes the combustion process.
Only a chemist specializing in automotive design could really say whether or not it's OK but why try it?

Can of naptha = $7.50
Tow bill =$50.00+
Diagnosis+testing=$100.00+
Oxygen sensor =$140.00+
catalytic convertor=$1000.00+
taking advise from just anybody=priceless!!

I've used naptha that's years old and it's just the same as new naptha.How long do you think it sits in the warehouses and shipping containers before you ever see it?Keep the can closed tightly and in a cool place.

wrench turnin',beer lovin',twistin',bike crashin',money blowin',lesson learnin'backcountry,off trail lovin'island type of lovable fool,at least my mother loves me.

TheKyle

Edmonton, Alberta
Canada

89 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks for the feedback everyone. I had heard somewhere that after a year old naptha fuel starts to degrade or something, but if nobody has every had a problem with it I'll just give it a shot and use it this summer.

Thanks again!

Gucci Hiker Hater.

Dirt Diggler
Intermediate Member

881 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  6:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew you were a motorhead Monkeyboy.We can smell our own.
ClubTread Supporter

Aqua Terra
Advanced Member

canine loving, machete-toting bushwhacking lake seeker, Indiana Jones hat-wearing off-road 4x4 guru

Mission, BC
Canada

7779 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  9:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bring it to the CT Bonfire event in sign ups..

Canmapper
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  3:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not put it in somebody elses car??

monkeyboy

vancouver island, b.c.
Canada

404 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  7:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sniff sniff
Yeah,I thought I smelled exhaust.Hope your trade is good to you DD
Keep the gloves on and the coffee cup full brother!

wrench turnin',beer lovin',twistin',bike crashin',money blowin',lesson learnin'backcountry,off trail lovin'island type of lovable fool,at least my mother loves me.
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam