All Forums
 Group Discussion
 Backcountry Recipes
 Does powdered milk go bad?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  9:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
OK, I know powdered milk is already bad, but....

I put powdered milk in my coffee when I am camping. So, here I am, preparing for an upcoming overnighter. I found some powdered milk in the cupboard, and noticed the best before date was April, 2004. I remember buying it around 2002. It is now January, 2006. I thought this kind of stuff lasted forever.

I don't really want to have to go out and buy more. Will it make me sick if I use it? (I smelled it, but I couldn't tell....powdered milk smells kind of foul at the best of times).

mick range
Extreme Hoser

Trail running, bike hucking, fast packing, beer drinking collector of pine cones on a day pass

AKA

Dances with Trees

Forest Gnome Cabin
Canada

13585 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  9:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the Red Cross website, powdered milk should be used within 6 months or it goes bad. It will stay fresh longer if it is stored in nitrogen packed cans,supposedly. So, if you've been noticing some strange odours in the kitchen

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  9:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mick....

OK that's gross. Given that information, it's going straight into the trash. Maybe since it's winter I'll bring actual liquid milk for my coffee.

Spirit
Intermediate Member

Richmond, BC
797 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  9:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dry foods (powder, etc) can go stale if exposed to light, air, or moisture (humidity), but bacteria cannot grow by light alone. Obviously if it's a dry hard lump, throw it away... but if it's still light and fluffy (and no signs of "badness within"), it should be safe to consume. And although it might taste funny, it's not likely to make you sick... especially if you use it in something boiled (like hot chocolate). If it was sealed fairly air tight, and not exposed to moisture, it should be fine.

Funny story... My parents moved last november, and in the cleaning, my mother found some canned soup in the garage, that was dated very early 80's. Being the crazy person she is, she opened it up, boiled it up, and ate the soup (my father also agreed to try some). It tasted a bit bland, but no one got sick. I (of course) flat out refused to eat it.

I probably shouldn't have told that story, but whatever. lol

Spirit
Intermediate Member

Richmond, BC
797 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mick range

According to the Red Cross website, powdered milk should be used within 6 months or it goes bad. It will stay fresh longer if it is stored in nitrogen packed cans,supposedly. So, if you've been noticing some strange odours in the kitchen

How could I forget odors... ;)

I've used powdered milk LOOOOONG after 6 months of it being opened (couple years, maybe). However, after 4 years, I too would throw it away.

Edit: Did you know that butter (once exposed to air) should not be left in a butter tray for more than 2 days, 1-2 weeks in the fridge, and it should be frozen before the 2 weeks if not consumed? I don't know ANYONE who goes through a brick of butter in a week. Crazy.

Edited by - Spirit on 01/28/2006 10:05 PM

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it'll taste OK outside. Ever notice how something that tastes just fine when you're outdoors tastes terrible at home? I noticed that with powdered hummus mix. Tastes perfectly acceptable, even delicious outdoors after a day of hiking. But I tried it at home and it was disgusting. Same goes for the powdered milk. It's OK in coffee when you're camping. But one time I ran out of milk at home and substituted the powdered stuff. Bleah! I couldn't even drink it.

Conversely, something that already tastes amazing at home will blow you away outdoors.

Spirit
Intermediate Member

Richmond, BC
797 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilderness_seeker

Ever notice how something that tastes just fine when you're outdoors tastes terrible at home?

This would be my infamous rice pudding cooked in a ziplock bag. Which (coincidentally) is why I bought the powdered milk in the first place. Soooooooo good at camp, but most DEFINITELY a "do not try this at home" meal. SO gross.

baminem

vancouver, bc
Canada

466 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  2:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my powdered milk went very bad. You will smell it when its bad so just take a whiff of it.

----------------------------------------
We used to microwave, Now we just eat nuts and berries.
Talking Heads

coffeecup

parksville, bc
Canada

179 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2006 :  4:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make a coffee and try it out.

.in memory of those who served..........http://www.execulink.com/~kiska/FSSFHomepage.index.html
ClubTread Supporter

hikeforhealth

Surrey, BC
Canada

1001 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try out prepackaged individual servings of coffee that is "three in one". It has coffee, sugar and milk. I do not have a particular brand in mind but you can find them in the ethnic section in Superstore. In my opinion, the "three in ones" tastes much better than regular instant coffee with powered milk and sugar. They are really convenient; you just simply rip the little package and pour boiling water on top. Good for everyday use and excellent for camping/hiking. The packages really help keep the coffee tasting fresh and save you time and space. By the way, I think they are packed with soy milk. Haven't bought them for a while-couln't tell either if they were .

By the way, they average around $3.99-4.50; there are lots of servings!

Edited by - hikeforhealth on 02/19/2006 12:53 AM

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  6:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty good....except I don't take sugar. It's strange that I have a very sweet tooth, but put one molecule of sugar in my coffee and I find it undrinkable. Unless it's in the form of Bailey's or something.

I use this coffee cup with a built-in plunger. You just put the ground coffee into the cup, pour boiling water over it, let it sit for a few minutes, and plunge. Then add powdered milk. Nothing quite matches the joy of that first sip of real coffee in the morning.
ClubTread Supporter

hikeforhealth

Surrey, BC
Canada

1001 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  6:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with you about having drip coffee! I wouldn't bring along instant coffee unless they were the three in ones. I love my brewed coffee in the morning. I remember seeing the travel mug with the built in drip thing somewhere and thought it was smart-was it London Drugs?

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got mine at MEC.
ClubTread Supporter

hikeforhealth

Surrey, BC
Canada

1001 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't drank coffee on a hike yet; however, Wilderness Seeker, with all this brewed coffee talk, you are tempting me...........

Hikeforhealth's high of choice on a hike: nice freshly made coffee~~~
I can just smell it. Forget beer, I think I am happy with coffee~~~~~~~~

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forget beer? Never!
Besides, drinking coffee before bedtime prevents sleep whereas drinking beer before bedtime promotes sleep.

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an ideal situation, you'd have both: beer in the evening, and coffee in the morning.

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  1:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you drink decaf coffee it isn't that healthy for you.
How could anyone forget beer? its one of the food groups

Topic  
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Backcountry Recipes Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam