Gotta Love Gear
 Heel lift on MSR snowshoes- yay or nay?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  1:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
A question for the MSR snowshoe users here...

The heel lift, do you remember to use it, and how much of a difference does it make?
One of the people I was out with yesterday has a new pair of msr's, and when he remembered the heel lift he said it made things much easier
BUT - I just noticed on the MEC website they are advertising the lightning ascents without the heel lift, for even lighter weight.
Im wondering why they'd do away with it, other than weight.
Thoughts? comments?

----------------------------------------
Rumour has it I dont like apostrophes, got nuthin against them, its just wot someone said.
ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  1:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have to climb steeply, it is a big help, I find.

Just for tromping around on trails it doesn't make much difference. But getting up a snowcone to the basse of an ice climb, it is noticeably easier with the heel lift up.

JimK
Starting Member

Seattle, WA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  2:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On long steep climbs I find them to be very useful in reducing calf strain. I feel a lot better at the top than friends who do not have them.

Hiking Northwest

blondie

North Vancouver, BC
Canada

252 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  3:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Denali acsents and I love the lifts for steeps: by resting your heel on the support you save on the muscle power you'd otherwise use to hold your heel up. That being said, it can be a little annoying flipping them up and down if the trail flattens or worse, decends. On the flat the lift will give you the experience of high-heeled snowshoeing!

I suppose the cost is the only difference, as I believe it was with the Denali classic vs ascent. Who would think 2 little pieces of metal would cost $40-50?

ClubTread Supporter

exscape
Advanced Member

Outdoors addicted flyfishing, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking car crooner and resident motormouth

Da'Wack, BC
Canada

5392 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  3:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pro-heel lift. It reduces the strain on your calves.

I would guess the option would be for people in the prairies? or Ontario?
ClubTread Supporter

SnowSeeker
Advanced Member

Maple syrup lovin', tree huggin', face paintin' relocated Québécoise who is VERY serious about having fun

Vancouver
Canada

2638 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  4:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this heel lift! It almost feels as if you're walking on a flat surface.

Bishop
Intermediate Member

yukon hankerin' intrepid dog lovin' fleet footed adventure racing pie packing poet who is ever keen to cave hunt, route find, night hike, and has finally introduced Bishop to Mt. Bishop

Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

934 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  4:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay.

smac

north van, bc
Canada

1061 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  5:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
having not seen them in person, only the pic. my concern would be how much weight can that little metal loop hold?

it kinda looks like I would just bend / snap it with a 50lbs pack on.

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3750 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  5:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My MSR shoes (Ascents) have the heel lift and I use it with a 45lb pack on with no problems. They're great for relentless climbs that would normally burn your calves up.

blackfly
Advanced Member

Manitoba's misadventurin' bushwhackin', dog sloggin', dehydratin', beer drinkin' biggie - who's eager to peak bag Mt Currie in a dress

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nay. Don't have them and don't feel they are really necessary. If I had them, I might like them, but I don't, and could care less
ClubTread Supporter

simonc
Day Tripper

Peak bagging, bushwhacking, zamboni driving, snowshoeing, self portrait artist, and speed demon who loves to hang out on Mt. Seymour

4577 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Denali Classics, never tried the Ascents. I don't have any calf problems on ascending. If you do enough of it the muscle would adapt. However, if you're willing to shell out the extra $40 or so-go for it. A friend of mine has used both and he likes the Ascents. I feel I would get lazy about having to click up the bar everytime I get to a steep part.

mick range
Extreme Hoser

Trail running, bike hucking, fast packing, beer drinking collector of pine cones on a day pass

AKA

Dances with Trees

Forest Gnome Cabin
Canada

13585 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  8:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would, Simon, and so would I
ClubTread Supporter

Q

chocolate lovin, Bailey's slurpin, cold feet hatin', veggie eatin', true Cancerian water lovin', CT smilin', boulder dodgin', nosummitosis survivor

1600 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them and use them but if they weren't there I would just have done without. Not sure if I would notice the difference if I had never used them.
ClubTread Supporter

ChuckLW
Advanced Member

Night owl posting,Subie driving, backpacking Dad who is perpetually trying to catch up to his kids on the trail.

Vancouver, BC
Canada

3149 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have MSR Classics without the heel lift option and wonder if anyone has figured out a workable retrofit/gerry rig option to add their own?

"Aging ... it beats the alternative"

johngenx
Advanced Member

Finally stopping that crazy suffering that is ice, climbing to concentrate on great ski tours!
3750 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonc

I feel I would get lazy about having to click up the bar everytime I get to a steep part.

I don't use them for "undulating" terrain where you're going up and down, etc. They work best when you have relentless steep section that is long. Even the toughest calves don't "adapt" to a 6km stretch with 1200M of gain...
ClubTread Supporter

BillyGoat
Advanced Member

Satirical photoshop junkie who frolics in the mountains of the Chilliwack River Valley

Aldergrove, BC
Canada

7344 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heel lift is great, but at the same time, it makes the shoe a bit more prone to twisting to the left or right when stepping up in heavier powder or uneven snow. The heel lift works best on a firm snowpack.

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2005 :  08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses
I've been thinking about buying a new pair of snowshoes (any excuse for new gear ).
I don't see how one piece of metal would make that much of a difference in weight, so for me I guess it'll be nice to have the heel lift, rather than buy a pair without and wish I had it.

Rumour has it I dont like apostrophes, got nuthin against them, its just wot someone said.
ClubTread Supporter

Farmer
Advanced Member

Outward Bound author of the Seinfeld Thread, who builds his own snowshoes

Troy, MT
USA

3285 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  3:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bump
I'm finally gonna get myself some snowshoes, now that places are clearing them out, and I'm having the same problem of chooseing weather or not to get the heel lifts. right now @ REI, I can get the denali classics for $75 (US) and the evo ascents for $150. After conversion and taxes, the denali evo ascents are $90 CDN more than the classics. I cant choose if I need the lifts or not. suggestions? and what is the difference between the ones that say "evo" and the other ones

Edited by - Farmer on 04/25/2007 4:55 PM

Rock Star
Intermediate Member

North Vancouver, bc
Canada

760 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  4:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Evo's have a narrower tapered footprint than the classics. I have the Denali ascents, and the Evo's. I don't have a problem with the denali's being too wide, but if you have a narrow stance it might be worth it. The difference between the ascents and classics, shouldn't be more than $50 CDN.

wilderness_seeker
Advanced Member

Coffee swillin', wine lovin', Owl fearin' Andie McDowell stunt double, who sports retro gear

Vancouver, BC
5603 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  5:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Lightning Ascents and I like the heel lifts when I'm going up a steep hill. I use them because I've got them and they do help. But, I'd probably do just as well without for the kind of stuff I do, ie I haven't really been climbing any long, sustained, overly steep hills.

BitPlayer

58 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2007 :  8:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heel lifts, pay the extra. If you will be snowshoeing in the mountains they are and asset. If you do not have them you will not miss them. If ya gotem yull likem.
Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Group Discussion > Gotta Love Gear Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam