Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  5:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
A quick trip report for a short trip into Yoho Aug 26,27,28. I will try not to duplicate much from The Hiker's recent Yoho TR.

We began Friday at 7pm from the Takakkaw Falls trailhead with campground at Twin Falls our objective for the evening. We conquered the nearly 7km on the Yoho Valley Trail in 1.5 hours and rushed to set up camp and get dinner stared before darkness fell. We ate in the dark and then watched the night sky fill with stars without a clod in sight...going to be a cold night.

Picture on the left is of my Hubba tent Saturday morning. It was cold enough overnight to leave frost on our bag at the bear pole. Middle picture is the creek from Twin Falls, which runs beside the campground with the cooking area on the beach. The picture on the right is a beautiful slot canyon just above the campground, on the way to Twin Falls Chalet.

Twin Falls from the view point at Twin Fall Chalet.

From Twin Falls we took the Marpole Connector trail to Little Yoho Valley Trail. Camping at Little Yoho Campground, just beyond ACC's Stanley Mitchell Hut.

After a quick lunch we set off at 1:30pm for our objective this weekend - Whaleback Mountain and Ridge - not the same as the Whaleback Trail. The trail heads north from the east corner of the SM Hut, same trail if the objective was Glacier Des Poilus. The trail heads right up the saddle to the 2 small pinnacles. The tall peak is Isolation Peak at 9,332'. Our objective is the ridge heading right from the saddle.
Getting a little closer now .
Don't forget to turn around and enjoy the view of The President Range, across Little Yoho Valley .
Well maybe we aren't really that close .
A side trip to the toe of Glacier Des Poilus .
Ah, steps from the saddle .
Finally, the saddle. Clowning around with Yoho Glacier in the background .
Up to the pinnacles that have been watching over us the entire way . That picture didn't look like much, but here is another shot of the where we were standing on the pinnacles .
Done playing on the pinnacles and now onto the ridge. Picture looking north with Yoho Glacier in the background .
VH happy to finally be on the ridge .
One of the few narrower spots on the ridge - no vertigo here! .

Now it's 6:30 and a disagreement takes place as we decide whether to push to the end of the ridge - all downhill - and hope the steep rockwall down to the Whaleback Trail isn't impassible or we head straight down and bushwack through an avalanche gully to the Little Yoho Valley Trail. We decide to head down, although not everyone is happy with the decision. Looking up where we came from, only about half way down . The bushwacking wasn't too bad - EH still smiling .
From the time the decision was made to the time we walked back into camp only 45 minutes had passes.

Sunday brought a leisurely start of 10:30 AM with our objective the trailhead via the Iceline Trail. I will not post any pictures as this trail has been covered numerous times. We had fantastic weekend weather. Whaleback Mountain/Ridge is a well kept secret and turned out to be a gem. For us, it would be difficult to recommend only one of Whaleback Mountain/Ridge, Kiwetinok Pass and Mount Kerr. Getting up Whaleback Mountain/Ridge involved 550 metres of elevation gain, which is less than Kerr and about the same as Kiwetinok Pass.

A fantastic weekend trip!

----------------------------------------
"We don't slow down because we get old, we get old because we slow down" - anonymous

Edited by - kcountry on 08/29/2005 8:11 PM
ClubTread Supporter

The Hiker
Advanced Member

Fleece thong wearin, Buntzen Lurkin, mystic poet mountain man and international spokesman of the friends of the white squirrel society

Port Moody, B.C.
Canada

6055 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I wish I was back there.
This looks like the same spot Shaggy & Trailflower beat me too.

I take it the crowds have thinned out a bit ? See any furry friends ?

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"
Russ S.

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hiker

Man I wish I was back there.
This looks like the same spot Shaggy & Trailflower beat me too.

I take it the crowds have thinned out a bit ? See any furry friends ?

"No Trail is Long with Good Company"
Russ S.

Didn't see a sole on the trail while hiking in Friday evening. 2 sites were occupied when we passed Laughing Falls campground. All sites were full at Twin Falls and nearly all were full at Little Yoho Campground. Iceline Trail on Sunday was like a freeway with day-trippers, but we had only seen a few people between Twin Falls and LY campgrounds and no one on the Ridge for all of Saturday. The only 4 legged sightings was of a big mouse at the grey water spot at Little Yoho Campground.

"We don't slow down because we get old, we get old because we slow down" - anonymous

trailflower

Super botonist, hippie chick who cuddles thistles with glee

Langley, BC
Canada

1542 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on Russ....let's go!

Those pinnacles are very cool!!! Thanks for sharing your trip report!

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  6:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanna go too!

Haven't stopped thinking about the Rockies since I got back just over a week ago..

Very nice pictures, thankyou for sharing

hakuna matata

sandy
Advanced Member

Kootenay Bud

2797 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  7:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know there was an Observation Peak there - you don't mean Isolated by any chance?

I'm pretty sure the topo map has those glacier names wrong. The one you went to is known (by climbers anyway) as the McArthur Glacier, and the Des Poilus glacier is the one shown in this picture (that's Des Poilus and Collie behind you - both fun climbs)

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandy

I didn't know there was an Observation Peak there - you don't mean Isolated by any chance?

You are correct Sandy. My bad, I meant Isolated Peak.

ClubTread Supporter

northernalberta

Anchorage, Alaska
USA

1340 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures! It's a real moonscape up there in places. Iceline has been on my list and the only reason I haven't done it yet is due to group members backing out on me. Maybe next year...

I'm on holidays!

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  8:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure the topo map has those glacier names wrong. The one you went to is known (by climbers anyway) as the McArthur Glacier, and the Des Poilus glacier is the one shown in this picture (that's Des Poilus and Collie behind you - both fun climbs)

If that is so, then every book and map for the area we have is labelled incorrectly. Everything we know and can gather on this specific area has Glacier Des Pailus directly west of Isolated Peak. To the west of the Glacier is then Mount McArthur with it's glacier showing itself on its west side. Contrary to this and in agreement with you, Parks Canada's Yoho Backcountry Guide map shows Glacier Des Pailus being north, north west of Isolated Peak. I've got to believe that PC would get it correct?

In this picture, Yoho Glacier is on the right hand side and Glacier Des Pailus is on the left? The peak in the centre would then be Yoho Peak?

In any event the Whaleback Mountain is a great addition to any Yoho hiking trip and gets you away from the hoards found elsewhere. The views are fantastic in all directions!

ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

alpine seekin, therma loungin, java brewin, licorice whorin, stealth hikin, all weather trail guru

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  9:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep intending to head up that trail to the west end of the Whaleback, but never seem to get around to it. Thanks for the photos.

The horn there is most definitely Mt Des Poilus. The Glacier Des Poilus is huge and covers the whole area from McArthur right up to the Wapta Icefield. The Yoho Glacier is somewhat smaller, and NE of Yoho Peak at the head of the Yoho Valley

This shot from the Whaleback shows Isolated Peak on the left. Yoho Peak is the brown bald one in the center, with the horn of Des Poilus just to the left and in back (tough to see in the reduced size of the photo). To the right of Yoho Peak is where the Yoho Glacier is (not quite visible in this shot). Next is Mt Gordon and on the very right hand side you can just see the tip top of Trolltinder

This view across Waterfall Valley shows Des Poilus (center) and Yoho Peak (right) more clearly

And then to the right of Yoho Peak is Yoho Galcier and Rhondda ridge is visible in the background

^^ Go Vertical ^^

Edited by - Hodgeman on 08/29/2005 9:34 PM
ClubTread Supporter

Rented Mule
Advanced Member

Utah's canyon trekking,deck chair packing desert explorer who dreams of visiting Canada someday

3988 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it! Great trip report! The pictures look so inviting.
Thanks!

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey

sandy
Advanced Member

Kootenay Bud

2797 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The peak in the centre is Des Poilus, and to the right you can just see Collie - but not the very top of Collie. I recognise them both from climbing them. I always assumed everyone (including PC) just copied off the topo and as we all know those topo maps have peaks in the wrong places, glaciers where they don't exist and no glaciers where they do exist etc.

Anyway very nice TR - it sure looks dry in those ranges.
ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

alpine seekin, therma loungin, java brewin, licorice whorin, stealth hikin, all weather trail guru

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think Parks Canada finds ways to make mistakes that nobody else would even think of !! ... hehehe. Just read some of the distances they put on their signs

^^ Go Vertical ^^

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodgeman

Actually, I think Parks Canada finds ways to make mistakes that nobody else would even think of !! ... hehehe. Just read some of the distances they put on their signs

^^ Go Vertical ^^

Sometimes they even have the arrows on their signs pointing in wrong directions.

ClubTread Supporter

Dru
Mountain Grammar Police

Sardonic sandbagging scoundrel, Cascade Climbers lobotomized spraymeister, space blanket flyer, new millennium vulgarian betaboy and friend to all squids

Climbing, a mountain
Canada

∞ Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lost hikers = jobs for rangers.

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dru

Lost hikers = jobs for rangers.

So cynical...I luv it

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

508 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  3:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The peak in the centre is Des Poilus, and to the right you can just see Collie - but not the very top of Collie. I recognise them both from climbing them. I always assumed everyone (including PC) just copied off the topo and as we all know those topo maps have peaks in the wrong places, glaciers where they don't exist and no glaciers where they do exist etc.

Anyway very nice TR - it sure looks dry in those ranges.

While in MEC looking for a replacement part, which of course is on backorder but I digress, I took a look at the NRCan Topo Map and now understand and agree with what Sandy and Hodgeman are saying. This map clearly shows the horn as Glacier des Poilus. My hiking friend who tries to name every land form is going to be so dissapointed.

Funny story though, this NRCMap labels the Iceline Trail as the Skyline Trail...a person can't win for trying.....

Thanks for the help.

ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  9:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must just be an old map. The original trail there was called the Skyline Trail. It ran along the tree line though, just below where the current Iceline Trail is.

And the thing about naming and mapping glaciers, is that they are changing so quickly. The Emerald Glacier there, for example, would have been more like one big cap, but now you could name it as a whole bunch of smaller sections.

^^ Go Vertical ^^
  Topic  
 All Forums > Trip Reports > British Columbia Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam