Activity Specific
 Hiking and Backpacking
 Is avalanche season over?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2

Claire Bear

crazy hat wearin', swiffer totin', camp tidyin', devil's staircase trippin', heavy load carryin', cliff divin' artiste!

1485 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  6:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are two links with info that I hope will help hikers in there decision making.

2nd paragraph should be helpful when going into the alpine:
¥ Travel Advisory:ÊThe following is a general spring advisory. See the first link below

http://www.avalanche.ca/bulletin/view.aspx?bulletinID=586

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/advisory/index.htm

----------------------------------------
A little grunt, a little grind, a little hike to clear the mind.

scottN

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1516 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  10:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dru

Meteors can hit the Earth at any time too but that doesn't mean you should worry about it. The fact that they don't even bother with updating the CAA bulletin during the spring, summer and fall should indicate that the relative avalanche risk during those months is generally low.

Dru, I disagree

In the spring, the CAA loses most of it's observer network, and avalanche activity becomes much more predictable, but not necesarily less dangerous. I think the lack of observers has more to do with the shutdown than the avalanche hazard. Late afternoon wet snow avalanches can still occur, and can still hurt you, but they're fairly easy to predict with a little knowledge and experience.

That being said, I don't think it would be much of an issue on a low peak like Mt. Elsay. However, I wouldn't want to be caught in the australian couloir on Joffre at 5:00pm in the afternoon on a sunny day.

Edited by - scottN on 05/17/2005 10:28 AM

greenhorn
Intermediate Member

Surrey, BC
Canada

610 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2005 :  2:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The may 15 Whister avalanche report mentioned avalanche activity and said the risk was considerable in alpine/treeline because of rain and heat in snow. The may 17 report says risk is low with the lowering of temperatures.

scottN

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1516 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  4:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greenhorn

The may 15 Whister avalanche report mentioned avalanche activity and said the risk was considerable in alpine/treeline because of rain and heat in snow. The may 17 report says risk is low with the lowering of temperatures.

Page: of 2 Topic  
Previous Page
 All Forums > Activity Specific > Hiking and Backpacking Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam