Food Lockers and Poles
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Author Topic  

bagheera

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan
Canada

193 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
Man do I love this site First of let me thank everyone that has responded to my queries, you guys are great, hope you'er not getting tired of hearing from me.

Now for the question. Hodgeman told me on another post that there are food lockers and poles at Magog. I was wondering about the other campsites I will be staying at on this trip. They are McBrides Camp and Marvel Lake. If not should I consider taking a bear proof container.
ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

alpine seekin, therma loungin, java brewin, licorice whorin, stealth hikin, all weather trail guru

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  1:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't stayed at those two. But if I'm not mistaken, you're actually still on the Banff side of the border there. So you could get info on those site here.....

banff.vrc@pc.gc.ca
Phone: 403.762.1550
Web Site: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_e.asp

Being in Banff you may be able to reserve and pay in advance for those two also, where as Magog is self-pay at the box and first-come-first-served

----------------------------------------
^^ Go Vertical ^^

bagheera

Canada

193 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hodgeman,

Thanks. I emailed them, hope to get a reply soon.
ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

alpine seekin, therma loungin, java brewin, licorice whorin, stealth hikin, all weather trail guru

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem.

My guess will be that there is a pole at each site. I never like to carry a bear canister in places where they aren't required. If there isn't a pole, I'd likely just take a rope for my stuff sacks.

I take it you're planning a loop trip from Mt Shark TH, with a stop at McBrides on the way in and Marvel on the way out, yes? Probably going in over Assiniboine Pass and out over Wonder Pass? That'll make a nice trip. How many nights will you have to spend at Magog?

^^ Go Vertical ^^

kcountry
Intermediate Member

Calgary, AB
Canada

509 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There definitely will be either poles or lockers. I can't remember which is at these campgrounds, but I think it is poles. Remember to take something that will keep your hanging gear and food dry just in case it rains. We always use zip-locks.

bagheera

Canada

193 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  8:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Hodgeman,

You guessed the trip right. We're spending two nights at Magog. Hopefully if we aren't too played out we'll check out the Nublet. Heard the views are great.

And kcountry you are right on the money as well. There are poles at both sites.

------------------------------------------------------

May your trails be crooked,
winding lonesome, dangerous,
leading to the most amazing view

ClubTread Supporter

Hodgeman

Pt. Coquitlam, B.C.
Canada

1772 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun. I love that area

If you're only taking one day in the core area, then the Nub is a good choice. Yes the views are great. Nub peak is an obvious route from the Nublet and it really opens up the whole view, including to the north across the route in from Sunshine Village.

As you come back down, you can traverse across Chuck's Ridge to the west from the Nublet. Either that route, or a trail lower down, will take you past Elizabeth, then Cerulean and Sunburst Lakes for a nice loop back to Magog.

There is some photos of the area, including a trip last September on my web site.
www.hodgeman.ca

^^ Go Vertical ^^

bagheera

Canada

193 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  3:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome Pics Hodgeman! Sorry for late reply, I was at Cub Camp this weekend.

Thanks for the side trip idea. That sounds like a defininte possiblity for me and Akela, but I think once our wives see those pics they'll want to go too
  Topic  
 All Forums > Regional Discussion > Alberta Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam