Prime the Pump?
Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Topic
Page: of 2
ClubTread Supporter

Rented Mule
Advanced Member

Utah's canyon trekking,deck chair packing desert explorer who dreams of visiting Canada someday

3988 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply to this posting
A hiker traveling in the scorching desert for days with no water;
dehydrated almost to the point of death comes across a well with a pump. Setting beside the pump is a large corked bottle of water.
A sign on the pump reads: "Pour every drop of water into the well to prime the pump. Once the pump is fully primed, pump all the water you need to fill your canteens. Then, refill the bottle of water, replace the cork and leave it for others.

Really think on this awhile. Would you follow the instructions?
Or, would you take the bottle of water and chug it, fill your canteens and go on your way?
You can't drink a little and try to prime the pump with only a partial bottle of water.
Remember, you are parched to the point of death.
Will the pump fail? How long has it been since primed?

Me? I'll answer in a little while....

OK, who's next?

----------------------------------------
May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey
ClubTread Supporter

Rented Mule
Advanced Member

Utah's canyon trekking,deck chair packing desert explorer who dreams of visiting Canada someday

3988 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't be shy...
15 reads so far and no opinions posted?

May your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing views ! Edward Abbey

kman

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

1100 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life and death situation I wouldn't want to run the risk of the pump failing. Hopefully the next people were not as stupid as I was and bring their own water. I would return to fill the water later.

blackfly
Advanced Member

Manitoba's misadventurin' bushwhackin', dog sloggin', dehydratin', beer drinkin' biggie - who's eager to peak bag Mt Currie in a dress

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question

It's pretty hard to say, as I'm sitting here in my chair fully hydrated. I don't actually know what it'd be like to be so desperate for water, having never really been in the desert.

But I think I'd use the water to prime the pump. If I was that desperate, then I would know that if that fails, there would be another method to get water, like digging a pit and putting plastic over top with a rock in the middle, and a cup underneath.

Edward Abbey once said something to the effect of "People say there is not enough water in the desert - in fact there is just enough, no more, no less"

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  10:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would just try the pump, before letting that water go.

Other than that I can't say what I would do. Being so dehydrated I wonder if a person would be able to think straight.

I know I have the conscience thing happening, and would have to leave water for the next person, so I'd say if the pump wasn't already working then I'd prime it - although if it failed then Im left with not only getting water for myself, but getting water for the next person too... what then?

Have to think on this more.

kman

Alberta-based choss climbin', flame throwin', rappel lovin', ass talkin' hater who doesn't like "Gumby" for a descriptor

1100 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question. How big is the corked bottle of water?? If it's not enough to hydrate you then your only choice would be to prime the pump. I did not take that into account when I posted previously. I doubt anyone would be concerned about the next person (who was probably not as stupid as you and took water with them) to come along when you are "dying" of dehydration.

Edited by - kman on 03/26/2005 11:41 AM

kman

1100 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pour every drop of water into the well to prime the pump. Once the pump is fully primed, pump all the water you need to fill your canteens

This does not make sense to me. Why would you prime the pump by putting water in the well? To raise the water level? If that's the case then you could drop a large rock down there. I have a feeling this is one of those "trick questions". Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time. Interested in Mules answer.

Edited by - kman on 03/26/2005 11:47 AM

blackfly
Advanced Member

Manitoba's misadventurin' bushwhackin', dog sloggin', dehydratin', beer drinkin' biggie - who's eager to peak bag Mt Currie in a dress

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  11:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if there might be something else to use to prime the pump? Like maybe you're carrying a gallon of vegetable oil?

If I was truly desperate, I might just drink the water and leave it as is. Ya never know what you'll do until you get in that situation.

RM must have a solution. Come on now! Out with it!

blackfly
Advanced Member

Squamish
5078 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kman

Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time

I would be interested to hear the answer to this one too!

pdomansky

Surrey, BC
Canada

425 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever hear of the saying... "Survival of the fittest..."? Well, hard to say what you will do until you are in that situation. Unfortunately I'd have a difficult time leaving the bottle empty, as my concience gets the better of me.

Not all who wander are lost...

pdomansky

Surrey, BC
Canada

425 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackfly

quote:

Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time

You think about that one for a second, not too difficult. Bury the seeds deep enough where the chicken can't get at them. Take the wolf across first. Come back for the chicken. Then come back for the seeds.

Edited by - pdomansky on 03/26/2005 12:15 PM

Shadee
sweet n innocent

ass wigglin, cheese lovin, 4x4 drivin, apostrophe hatin, hiking chick who loves camping on snow

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's gotta be a trick question

why specifically mention the cork, and why is it a corked bottle? who would carry the bottle in there in the first place?

What if you don't have the strength for the pump? maybe you need to drink the water first, since theoretically you're at death's door here...

and I admit, I'm dying to know the answer to this one
ack I wish the weather had been better this morning, I'd be out - not thinking about this question... d'oh

tedoliver

Vancouver, BC
Canada

1204 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  1:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi rented mule.I'm really showing my age here but there was an old Kingston trio song that went"Drink all the water you can hold,wash from your head to your feet but leave a bottle full for others,thank you kindly,Desert Pete".Remember the Kingston trio? Striped button down shirts,clean cut looking college guys.Good to hear from your neck of the woods.

kman

1100 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  2:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdomansky

quote:
Originally posted by blackfly

quote:

You think about that one for a second, not too difficult. Bury the seeds deep enough where the chicken can't get at them. Take the wolf across first. Come back for the chicken. Then come back for the seeds.

hahaha not too difficult eh. I was about to post the answer to this but I will let it stew for a bit. Your chicken was eaten by the wolf when you came back for the seeds. You can't bury the seeds by the way...but good thinking.

pdomansky

Surrey, BC
Canada

425 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  2:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hahaha not too difficult eh. I was about to post the answer to this but I will let it stew for a bit. Your chicken was eaten by the wolf when you came back for the seeds. You can't bury the seeds by the way...but good thinking.

Lol. hmmm yeah, I guess I didn't really think that one quite through. I figured it out now: First you take the chicken, leave it there. Then come back, get the wolf, and drop it off at the other side. Bring the chicken back with you, and leave it. Then bring the seeds back to the other side with the wolf. Finally bring the chicken back and there you go!

Edited by - pdomansky on 03/26/2005 2:29 PM
ClubTread Supporter

exscape
Advanced Member

Outdoors addicted flyfishing, skiing, snowshoeing, hiking car crooner and resident motormouth

Da'Wack, BC
Canada

5392 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  3:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well considering I was I hiking for days...I'd hardly think one bottle of water would do me for finding way home, through a desert. I'd prime the pump. And pray that the darned thing would work.

And not knowing if I would need water again ...just in case I end up wandering in circles I'd take the time to refill the bottle.

Oh yeah and It's also a nice gesture for other who might end up in the same situation.

kman

1100 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2005 :  4:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdomansky

quote:

Lol. hmmm yeah, I guess I didn't really think that one quite through. I figured it out now: First you take the chicken, leave it there. Then come back, get the wolf, and drop it off at the other side. Bring the chicken back with you, and leave it. Then bring the seeds back to the other side with the wolf. Finally bring the chicken back and there you go!

haha...exactly!

Bishop
Intermediate Member

yukon hankerin' intrepid dog lovin' fleet footed adventure racing pie packing poet who is ever keen to cave hunt, route find, night hike, and has finally introduced Bishop to Mt. Bishop

Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

934 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Pour every drop of water into the well to prime the pump. Once the pump is fully primed, pump all the water you need to fill your canteens

This does not make sense to me. Why would you prime the pump by putting water in the well? To raise the water level? If that's the case then you could drop a large rock down there. I have a feeling this is one of those "trick questions". Like the one where you have to get a wolf a chicken and a a buch of seeds across the river one at a time. Interested in Mules answer.

You prime a pump by pouring water down a well to create the suction required to pull water up with the force created by pumping the handle. Make sense? Sort of?

dblair

Delta, B.C.
Canada

477 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  3:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is an answer Rented Mule could we please have it.This thread is running out of gas and gas is expensive up here. Thanks.
Denis

Shadee
sweet n innocent

spaceship..
Canada

7209 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  3:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright, this has been bugging me all weekend. So I did a search - this is what came up...

http://www.lmaasscholarship.org/thepump.htm

(amongst some diagrams and explanations of how it works)

Maybe there is a moral to this story? Not a trick question?

Bishop
Intermediate Member

yukon hankerin' intrepid dog lovin' fleet footed adventure racing pie packing poet who is ever keen to cave hunt, route find, night hike, and has finally introduced Bishop to Mt. Bishop

Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada

934 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2005 :  4:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There isn't a general answer - it is a question that probes your inner depths and therefore can only be answered by yourself.

Page: of 2 Topic  
Next Page
 All Forums > Lodge > Outdoor / Hiking Humor Bookmark and Share     Reply to Topic

Register | Active Topics | Top 10 | Search | Guidelines | Report Spam