Whippoorwill Point Trail
An easy trail leading along Harrison Lake to Sandy Cove and the outlet of the Harrison River.
||4.0 km (return)
||Loop - Partial
Follow Highway #9 north from Agassiz or Rosedale to Harrison Hot Springs. Park in any available spot along the beach.
* Starting near the Harrison Hot Springs Hotel, walk along the path that follows the lake lake beachfront, heading west (away from the spit/swimming hole).
* The path will continue past the hotel and over a small water-flow control dam.
* Continue along the lake shore, passing a water tower hidden away on the mountainside. The large path ends at Harrison Hot Springs, also known as St. Agnes Well. The hot springs have a strong sulfur smell and are surrounded by a caged stone building.
* On the far side of the building surrounding the hot springs is a shallow, warm pool of water. If you look on the left side of the pool of water (opposite the lake) you should see a small trail leading up over some rocks and above the pool. This is the start of the Whippoorwill Point / Sandy Beach Trail. Don't continue on the main path (which doubles as a road) - it leads to the main gate of the Sewage Treatment plant.
* The trail immediately crosses a small creek leading down towards the pond, then leads uphill to a lookout area immediately above Harrison's sewage treatment plant. The smell (normally) isn't overbearing and there is a nice view of the lake there. Originally the trail used to continue over a wooden boardwalk built onto the trees, but it was destroyed or dismantled decades ago. Backtrack a few meters from the lookout and locate the modern bypass trail, leading around a large boulder.
* Trail loops around the back of the large rock the bridge/platform used to go around. Descends the other side then after following the edge of the hill a short distance, turns abruptly to the left and descends to a trail junction.
* Turn sharply right here, almost 180 degrees. The trail heads back towards the lake and to sandy cove.
* Trail continues on the opposite side of sandy cove, climbing a minor amount of elevation before reaching Whippoorwill Point less than 300m later. The point is the furthest rock where the source of the harrison river meets Harrison Lake. There is a red beacon here.
* Following the trail past the point about 20 meters there is a cross and some sort of small shrine.
* The trail follows the Harrison River - only occasional views but opportunities to scramble down to the river if it's not high.
* Trail folows the river before circling around the small hill above Whippoorwill Point and leading back to dark forest where the trail junction was just before Sandy Cove. Turn right and head uphill, leading back to the "Sewage" lookout and the Harrison Hot Springs Source.
|Trailhead at Hotel Entrance
||10U 587972 5461966
|Miama Creek Bridge
||10U 587726 5461959
||10U 587513 5462187
||10U 587414 5462297
|Loop Trail Junction
||10U 587188 5462395
||10U 587255 5462583
||10U 587173 5462774