Old pack trail built in the 1800's but still maintained for recreational use
||36.0 km (return)
||Linear - Return
Follow Highway #3 (Crowsnest Highway) east of Hope and into E.C. Manning Provincial Park. 12 km east of the park's western entrance, turn left into a large gravel parking area signed as "Cascade". Park at the far end, near the outhouses.
Constructed in 1860 by Edgar Dewdney on the request of Governor Douglas, the Heritage Trail was one of the first early trade routes between the interior and the coast.
The trailheads for both Dewdney and Whatcom are found at this main entrance. Dewdney follows a valley stadily upward and spills out into Paradise Valley. I'm guessing around 12km in is where you'll find Snass View Camp, which is at the near end of Paradise Valley. There is a pit toilet, picnic tables and firepits here.
Last year much of the Dewdney Trail was cleared of brush; except for a few kilometers higher up. The BC Horsemen use this trail quite a bit, so expect to find some "Horsebuns" on the trail.
* Small bridges short distance past trailhead
* Junction with Whatcom Trail
* Enters valley and passes above Dry Lake (seasonally dry, but can be a very intense shade of blue!)
* Stinging Nettle and debris flows from nearby Mount Dewdney have wiped out part of the trail. the "middle section" can be sometimes confusing as you hike over dry water channels and over old, dry debris flows.
* Valley narrows a bit and begins following a creek. Crosses it many times.
* Reaches Snass View Camp and the southern edge of Paradise Valley - can have LOTS of mosquitoes!
* Northern junction with the Whatcom Trail at Snass View Camp
* Continues through Paradise Valley, passing the southern junction with the Warburton Loop trail.
* Reaches ranger cabin (nicknamed "Cascade Hilton"). Due to abuse in the winter time it's now locked to the general public, and co-manged by the BC Backcountry Horseman during the summer seasons. Very nice campsite area, but typically used by the horsemen.
* Not far (north) of the camp is the northern junction with the Warburton Loop trail.
||10U 641525 5454926
|Northern Whatcom Trail Junction
||10U 645764 5462669
|Snass View Camp
||10U 645828 5462653
|Southern Warburton Loop Trail Junction
||10U 645963 5463085
|Northern Warburton Loop Trail Junction
||10U 648052 5464922
|Tulameen Horse Camp and Ranger Cabin
||10U 648295 5465084