A less crowded and slightly longer alternative to Grouse Grind. Often used as part of a loop hike to the Grouse Mountain chalet.
||3.3 km (one-way)
||Linear - One Way
Follow Highway #1 (Trans-Canada) to North Vancouver, taking exit #14 for Capilano Road North. Follow Capilano Road to it's northern end, at the base of the Grouse Mountain Skyride. Both pay parking as well as free parking along Capilano Road is available.
The 232 and 236 busses operate to the Grouse Mountain parking lot daily. For bus schedules and information, visit the Translink website.
Trailhead is the same as Grouse Grind, but the trail is the route that runs beside the Grind on the right (to east)
This trail is a slightly longer route to the Grouse Chalet, and usually gets somewhat less traffic. Scenery is similar, but the upper reaches of the trail crosses through some old growth forest. As with all trails up Grouse, it's a steep track and a good workout, and the usual cautions apply.
Start hiking up the Grouse Grind. Now after about 10 m past the gate the Baden Powell trail heads right, take that fork and in about 200m in there is a junction, the old GG start heads up to the left. Keep straight here and cross a dry creekbed. On the other side of the creekbed there is another junction (the Baden Powell trail heads straight), turn left here heading up the hill, following the markers.
Once you reach the chalet, you can hike down or take the Grouse Mountain Skyride for a fee of five dollars
Itemized description of trail:
* Parking Lot 292 m
* Tag #2 338m Junction with BP Trail
* Tag # 17 415m Trail starts to switchback more steeply here
* Tag #27 478m Tree fell Dec 06 creating an archway over the trail
* Tag #31 Junction. Trail goes left (facing uphill) into ravine of creek then follows ravine up about 100 m and then climbs steeply out of ravine to rejoin BCMC trail at Tag#46. This is also a crossover to the Grind. It also connects to the Flint and Feather Trail. This is also the 1/4 point in elevation for the BCMC. There are two white stripes painted on the uphill side of a tree on the trail.
* Tag #46 Junction. A Trail comes out of ravine. There is a blue X painted on a tree left of the trail
* Tag #57 Junction. A trail goes to the right, it is the old BCMC and it continues to the junction with the Larson Trail at the "Private Property" signs. Tags begin about 50m along trail. There is a pleasant viewpoint on this trail about 100 m west of the Larson junction.
* Tag #78 688m Junction. A trail goes to the right downhill and it continues to a junction with the Larson Trail at the same place as the previous trail.
* Tag # 81 700m White paint on a tree. This is the site of a former cabin and now has a dense patch of small trees on a rock ledge above the trail. This is the half way point in elevation.
* Tag #88 736m A University of Toronto Air Quality Research project with a "Do Not Touch" sign is visible above the trail.
* Tag #99 805m
* Tag #118 907m Junction. Larson Trail goes to the right downhill. This is the 3/4 point.
* Tag # 129 971m Viewpoint for Capilano Lake
* Tag # 135 1001m Another Viewpoint with Simic Trail very near right side of trail.
* Tag #138 1026m Bridge over small creek
* Tag # 145 1065m Road just ahead. Flint and Feather joins BCMC near here.
* Pipeline 1075m
* Grouse Grind Timer Clock 1110m
* Top of Red Skyride 1118m
Return to parking lot, altimeter now reads 285m , seven meters lower than before.
This makes total elevation gain to be 1110 - 292 = 818m
|Grouse Grind trailhead
||10U 492864 5468749
|Grouse Grind / Baden-Powell junction
||10U 493033 5468632
|BCMC / Baden-Powell junction
||10U 493063 5468619
|Start of switchbacks
||10U 493226 5468758
|Simic trail connector #1
||10U 494079 5469074
||10U 494097 5469205
|Simic trail connector #2
||10U 494094 5469250
|Upper Flint & Feather trail junction
||10U 494014 5469420
|Grouse Chalet (top of BCMC trail)
||10U 493975 5469569